Rimfire for coyotes?

I have good results with the good ol' 22lr. I used to hunt with a friend that loved his .243 for deer I thought it was light for deer but was amazed at the performance it had as well as the lethality. Witnessed two deer downed one @ 153 yds and the longest @ 237 yds the latter was devastating we never found the heart. The former it looked as though (on impact) it was picked up and body slammed. In both the internal damage was outstanding. Just goes to show the importance of proper shot placement.

Well, well, another 5mm shooter! Hello Hunter Customs, I've got one of those too. MOst curious as to why you prefer the vintage ammo?????

I actually owned two of them. My original one I purchased in 1970 right after they came out, it's a 592M tube feed. The second one I owned was a 591M magazine fed rifle I purchased from a friend of mine which I later traded for a nice old LC Smith shotgun.

As for why I choose the vintage ammo, from my personal experience it does a better job of one shot stops, however I will say that may not be a fair assessment for the new ammo because now I only use my 5MM to hunt coyotes during the firearms portion of Missouri Deer season, I've not shot that many coyotes with the new ammo.

The old 5mm never got a fair shake........had it been more fully supported by the industry, we might never have seem the .17 HMR. But while the industry jumped on the .17 bandwagon and everybody made firearms for the cartridge, nobody produced a 5mm rifle except Remington, ......seems like I've read T/C made some barrels for their switch barrel pistol.

I agree, I was always a strong supporter of Remintong rifles until they did the dis-service to a lot of loyal customers by discontinuing the rifles and then discontinuing the ammo, no longer a Remington fanboy.
In my Opinion the 5MM will out perform the 17HMR hands down if one needs to shoot anything bigger them small pest.
I have a friend that has a 17 HMR he uses it to shoot Starlings around his place, he calls it his high speed BB gun, I believe he's got that right.

I believe the 5mm Mag was the best high performance rimfire, faster and flatter than a .22 WSM, and more bullet weight than the diminutive .17's.

Again I agree, I even frog hunted with mine, no matter if I was shooting them across the pond or close in front of me it would put them out on dry land, never got my feet wet using it.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

You can kill a coyote with a pointed stick. It's easy I hear, if they hold still. I did kill a few with a 22 magnum at 50 yards and keep one loaded for the back yard just in case. One hopped and bounced then ran off (if that counts.) One dropped and stopped period. One took a few more rounds and finally succumbed to a 22 pistol up close. Forget what you heard, see? It can be done!

I killed a small coyote with a 22lr. It was about a 10 yard shot. He just sat there and looked at me. I don't know,maybe I should have let him go.

I have always heard the 22mag does well on them. I also know a few guys who use their AR-15's with 223 ammo loaded with the 40grn varmit bullets. They say it works just fine, they reload so ammo prices stay super low.

Both the 17 and 22 mags work well on coyotes. I prefer the 20gr loads over the 17's in the HMR.

Kind of a dieing round, but I body shot a few large coons with a .22 Magnum. It hits hard.
The 22 magnum is dying because everybody is hoarding ammo for it? Where did you go to school?

Dad used to keep an old Winchester pump action .22 Magnum in the combine for coyotes. One day he got 3 with one shot apiece. He said they pretty much dropped in their tracks.

That was never our experience when using .22 long rifle on 'em though. I suppose they ran off to die miles away, but there were some that clearly took a dozen rounds (2 guys firing with auto rifles) and kept running. You could see the bullets impact their fur, and they'd flinch a bit, but didn't slow down.

It is debate the ethical capability of rimfire on coyotes. But some states ban centerfire at night.

Not the fastest killing round, and not as forgiving as 243 or 223.

I've shot Eastern coyotes, both fairly close and out to almost 300 yards. I prefer a .243 Win for them.

Haven't been especially happy with quick kills on critters like porcupines and raccoons, using some .22 mag rounds, even at close range, so wouldn't purposely go after coyotes with the cartridge. Our coydogs are mostly larger than western yotes, perhaps due to cross-breeding with wolves.

Back