Rimfire Finishing?

Unless you're getting it mounted, I don't get the reluctance to finish with a headshot with whatever you fired the first shot.

??? You obviously haven't shot a deer in the head with a rifle. No "blowing half the head off".
Actually, I have, and that's exactly what happend
It also makes a big bloody mess as opposed to a 22 which probably won't exit

I don't get the reluctance to finish with a headshot with whatever you fired the first shot.
One reason is the noise
Another is expense of a rifle cartridge vs a 22
Third is the unnecessary damage

Last edited:
We have always hung our bucks by the horns, and skinned from the neck down, so I'm reluctant to shatter their skull, or even finish with a neck shot. Did that one time on a cow elk and pulled the head off when skinning. :rolleyes:

I've finish killed a few with my knife, until one time a small buck jerked his head back and nearly put my eye out with his horn. Haven't done that since.

I guess if I was packing a 22, I'd probably use it, legal or not, if it wasn't going to die very soon with the wound I have already dealt it.

As barbaric as it sounds, an animal that has sustained a good boiler room shot will calmly die very soon with no further help. We are bow hunters now, and that is how it is. jd

??? You obviously haven't shot a deer in the head with a rifle. No "blowing half the head off"

My dad finished a deer off in the head this year with his rifle. It did just that.

I carry a 38 or 45 generally so it's not an issue for me but I seriously doubt that even in a game warden ever did find out about it, he wouldn't care much. From what I gather though, AZ wardens are more like regular guys/hunters than the sticklers a lot of you guys have to deal with.

Only in the last few years have I started finishing with a pistol, I always just used my rifle before that. It is by far my preference now to use a pistol.

Not intended to be snarky. Sorry if taken that way.

But, every single deer and elk I have shot in the head died, immediately. And the hide kept everything mostly together. The last one was a mule deer finished off with my .300 win mag and a 180 sierra game king between the eyes. Broke the skull, but no mess.

It is against the law in Wyoming to kill a big game animal with a rim-fire. Expense of a single cartridge is insignificant in the total price spent on hunting, and really insignificant when compared to the price of a wildlife violation ticket.

If you are worried about shooting a deer in the head with your hunting rifle, then shoot it in the neck, right behind the head. Should be easy if you are getting close enough to finish it with a .22 LR!

Here in WA. you can't use a gun that isn't legal to hunt with. You can't carry a handgun that is not legal to hunt with if you don't have a concealed weapon permit.

Concern about the price of one round of cf ammo leads me to believe that more people should reload.

If you're really concerned about demi-decapitating a deer then carry around a powder puff load for your rifle.

I would be very hesitant about slitting a deer's neck. They got sharp horns and hooves.

Originally posted by Snyper:

You musat carry an awful LONG knife if you can do it from a "safe" distance.

Actually, I use a Case "Muskrat Skinner" and it's easier than you think. Lots easier than carrying a whole other gun just for the slight chance you may need it just to finish an animal off.

Originally posted byWyoredman:

Expense of a single cartridge is insignificant in the total price spent on hunting, and really insignificant when compared to the price of a wildlife violation ticket.

Agreed. One has to wonder why someone who can afford a computer and Hi-Speed internet, and has the time to post on internet forums, needs to pinch their pennies to that extreme. Again, if it's legal in your state and you don't mind packing the extra weight of the extra firearm, go for it. But don't advise others to do it if it is or may be illegal in their state....and don't recommend taking one warden's word on what other wardens may or may not do when considering leniency on a hunting violation.

If you are worried about shooting a deer in the head with your hunting rifle, then shoot it in the neck, right behind the head. Should be easy if you are getting close enough to finish it with a .22 LR!

Originally posted byWyoredman:

Expense of a single cartridge is insignificant in the total price spent on hunting, and really insignificant when compared to the price of a wildlife violation ticket

actually, I use a Case "Muskrat Skinner" and it's easier than you think. Lots easier than carrying a whole other gun just for the slight chance you may need it just to finish an animal off.

It's no "trouble" to carry a pistol

I do it most of the time anyway in case I decide to shoot a Fox, Rabbit or Squirrel

There's no risk of any violation, since using a 22 is perfectly legal here

Killing them by cutting the throat may be "easy" but it's certainly not safe

Back