Rimfire backstop for indoor

The "22 LR" designation is about the cartridge size, and not about the power level.

The .22 long and the .22 long rifle both use the same sized case. The .22 long uses a 29 grain bullet instead of a 40 grain bullet.

Technically, the Aguila Colibris are primer powered .22 long rounds.

How silly. Why pick an argument? The OP was quite clear he wasn't going to use a regular .22. Everyone here knows what a ".22" means in the American lexicon. SO much so they have to spell out when it's NOT a common .22 LR rimfire cartridge, as he did...
It wasn't an argument

It was an explanation.

Not "everyone here" knows the difference, since lots of people with no experience at all can read these threads.

They are open to the public

You may want to explain to these folks that Aguila ammo isn't "Long Rifle":

http://www.bing.com/search?q=aguila...=-1&sk=&cvid=b0ae7212805449d8ad275daddc43c995

Aguila Super Colibri Ammo 22 Long Rifle 20 Grain Lead ...
www.midwayusa.com › … › Rimfire Ammunition › 22 Long Rifle Subsonic
$41.99 · Out of stock
Aguila Super Colibri Armmunition has no powder

Last edited:
I find it funny that both guys arguing are wrong.

OP said, and I quote: "I would feel safe shooting CB shorts"

CB shorts are neither .22LR nor 22L. They are .22 Short.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=1&loadNo=0026

And it doesn't matter anyway, he abandoned the plan because of the local laws.

In reality, he would probably never get caught. CBs are really quiet, doubtful anyone would ever know. But if he did get caught, he would certainly be arrested. Remember, this is New Jersey we are talking about, where a 72 year old guy faces 10 years for having an unloaded flintlock.

Now your lawyer may be able to get you off by arguing the semantics, that the laws says gunpowder, and these have no gunpowder, but it is not a sure thing, and how much would that cost, in time, money, stress, reputation, etc? Your neighbors would get to watch you marched out in handcuffs, for shooting a gun in your shop.

I wouldn't give up the plan entirely, there are some pretty good air rifles out there for not much money.

It would be fine in my home, but longest distance I could cover would be 30'. Not worth it.

A 10 meter range with a 10 meter air rifle is perfect (even if you're just 10 yards). If you buy a target rifle and the max velocity is under 525 ft/sec, you would not have to worry about indoor lead levels either.

As your initial goal, I assume, is to maintain your perishable shooting skills, quality pellet guns are far better than dry firing or laser setups, or tempting Murphy with home made shooting ranges. A trigger is pulled and an actual projectile comes out, traverses a distance and strikes a target and leaves a hole in paper, and nothing else. Rain or shine, early or late, you can get trigger time in with no travel time needed or range fees. I'm partial to a Daisy 953 for rifle and Beeman P17 for pistol. You'll be amazed at how good a shot it makes you with real firearms. A Daisy 753/853 or Beeman P3 are the higher quality builds of both of those, in case you wanted to upgrade.

A quality air pistol or air rifle is an option that I never really considered and it is the obvious choice.
Im going to stop by the LGS today and see what he might have hanging around that will give me accurate results.

I am aware of a 36gr 22 LR round going through 3/4" hardwood and embedding 1/2" into a solid wood door made in the mid 1940's at about 15 feet :eek:

I know of a number of folks who, years ago, built .22 ranges in their basements . . . in Chicago. Of course, construction was brick, and an errant shot from a .22 wouldn't go through a brick wall. Frame was plywood, backstop was usually a quarter inch thick piece of steel, with some additional baffles to control bullet spatter.

Lead dust was a concern, of course, but a periodic vacuuming and damp mopping kept that down. AFAIK nobody poisoned themselves . . .

I've shot an air rifle and air pistol on my own indoor range quite a bit - no problem with lead dust or lead primer residue there.

Now your lawyer may be able to get you off by arguing the semantics, that the laws says gunpowder, and these have no gunpowder, but it is not a sure thing, and how much would that cost, in time, money, stress, reputation, etc?
The law talks about what the GUN uses, and it doesn't become "not a firearm" when you use different ammo

I know of a number of folks who, years ago, built .22 ranges in their basements . . . in Chicago.

A few years ago, I worked with an old guy that had a .22LR pistol and a 9mm that he practiced with in his basement, in the city. He was an old Jew and loved his Luger! Neither gun was registered (required at that time). He and his neighbors would fire into phone books they collected. Those old Chicago phone books were 4-5" thick.

I stopped by LGS today and found out a little info. He is selling a Ruger AirHawk 100fps .177 rifle for $149. From What I have seen he is pretty high on the price. Assuming I can get him down I would consider the rifle. Has anyone owned one? It feels like a reel rifle but if it wont group it really isnt going to help much.
Also found out another little tidbit of NJ law. Pellet pistols are regulated the same way as any other pistol. So, per NJ law I would have to apply for a pistol permit before and receive it before I can purchase a pellet pistol. Apparently paintball and airsoft were actually part of that until someone had a brief moment of clarity and fixed the law. Years ago shooting someone with a paintball gun was the same as shooting them with a 9mm in the eyes of the law.

That price is not awesome :(.

Although the AirHawks get decent reviews, the downside is that it is a spring air rifle: you would have to learn how to use an artillery hold to get any accuracy out of it. I have a spring air rifle converted over to nitro piston and it is very accurate, but not the easiest to shoot. It's too powerful for indoors and I only shoot that one outdoors (I have 2,000 acres of prairie outside my back door). Also, with the velocity over 1,000 fps, you'll have indoor lead level issues. Spring air rifles are a great bargain (usually) for the power they can deliver and give you the option of hunting with them, but I wouldn't shoot them indoors. The 10 meter target rifles aren't made for speed, they're made for accuracy. The Daisy 953 I recommended (for about $99 delivered from Amazon) is a pneumatic pump, which means there's no recoil. You concentrate on the shooting fundamentals and forget about recoil or hold issues. That's the same reason I like .22LR, but the pellet guns let you do that at home, and even cheaper than .22LR.

Before you buy, take a look at Paramyd Air and compare the many types of airguns that are out there:
http://www.pyramydair.com/air-rifles

Lastly: Years ago I was reading an article from a guy who was a South African sniper (from the bad old days). He and his buddies bought Olympic grade target rifles ($$$$) and honed their skills at 35-40 yards, taking thousands of shots for pennies ($). They paid dearly upfront, but have quality rifles that are cheap to shoot, even with the most expensive target ammo you can buy in .177.

Last edited:
Back