Rimfire backstop for indoor

BoogieMan

Its 0 today before figuring in the 20-35mph wind chill. I dont mind the cold but its a bit mutch to be sitting at a bench or laying outdoors and shooting. Luckily I have a machine shop with a open lane thats 100'. I am in a residential zon but I would feel safe shooting CB shorts indoor out of my Marlin 80 to keep my skills up. I would like to bend up a backstop to catch the bullets and put a sheet of 3/4" ply behind that. The back wall is 2 layers of steel siding with insulation sandwiched in between. Am I missing out on anything? Does this sound safe? I have never tested so I dont know what a CB short is capable of going through.

Check your local laws for discharging a firearm. You location says you are in NJ, so I expect they are draconian.

I found a metal backstop on Midway that I could use for my pellet rifle in the yard or house depending on the weather. It was rated for the .22 LR. The name on it is Champion if you want to look it up.
Paul B.

Give it some thought !!!

Check your local laws for discharging a firearm.
As I use to tell my crew, think hard before you ask a question and try to express it in a way that is most pleasing. I said that because you will probably not like the answer. All to often I had no choice but take the company line. :mad:

Luckily I have a machine shop with a open lane thats 100'
I have done so with less room than this. One thing you should factor in, is Murphy's Law. That in itself may force you to think twice. There are number of traps that you can buy or make. I knew a LGS that had one and recall seeing holes in the ceiling tile, above it. ...... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

I have done so with less room than this. One thing you should factor in, is Murphy's Law. That in itself may force you to think twice. There are number of traps that you can buy or make. I knew a LGS that had one and recall seeing holes in the ceiling tile, above it. ......
This was the idea behind the 3/4" ply. It would be highly unlikely that I would miss a bottle cap at that distance much less a 16"-20" bullet trap, but as you said murphys law.
Check your local laws for discharging a firearm. You location says you are in NJ, so I expect they are draconian.
NJ laws are not all that bad as long as you know what they are, no State law against this type of action. However there may be a city ordinance against discharge of a firearm inside city limits.

Yep. Just found the ordinance, shop is within city limits. It would be fine in my home, but longest distance I could cover would be 30'. Not worth it.

You can buy commercial bullet traps rated for 22's that are probably about as cheap as anything you could build that will equal their perfomance.

There's one at the gunshop where I worked that's been in use for close to 35 years now and has had thousands of round fired into it from 10-50 yds

Yep. Just found the ordinance, shop is within city limits. It would be fine in my home, but longest distance I could cover would be 30'. Not worth it.

Yeah, it is usually a city thing. Also pays to read the fine print, some cities have it written that BB/pellet and even Airsoft guns are covered.

Yeah, it is usually a city thing. Also pays to read the fine print, some cities have it written that BB/pellet and even Airsoft guns are covered.
My city ordinance actually reads
No person shall, at any time, fire or discharge or cause to be fired or discharged any firearm within the limits of the City of Vineland, except as otherwise set forth in this section. For purposes of this chapter, firearms shall include any handgun, rifle, shotgun, machine gun or any other weapon by which a projectile is propelled through the combustion of gunpowder.
Considering the building and the fact that no one could ever see or walk in I have considered using the Aguila Super Colibri. They are primer only. Primer is not gunpowder and therefore exempt. But there is another section of the ordinance that reads discharge of firearm within 450 of an occupied dwelling. In my case there are at least 10 homes within 450'. NJ law actually includes a slingshot as a firearm, although its never been enforced to my knowledge. I suppose the risk is very low, but so is the reward.

Yea, you should always make laws up to reduce your freedoms beyond what is actually written! So goes the American way!:rolleyes:

Buy a commercial trap, get a middle of the road decent air rifle, and shoot 10 Meters. Yeah, the neigbors will report much of anything else and awhole NJ State SWAT team will come and step on your cat for shigs and gittles.

Buy a commercial trap, get a middle of the road decent air rifle, and shoot 10 Meters.
There's a good plan

If the shop has a good enough air compressor, you could get a decent PCP rifle that's as powerful as a 22 with light loads

Lead contamination

Lead contamination of your proposed indoor workspace/shooting range should be a concern. Lead dust and fumes are toxic.

This was the idea behind the 3/4" ply. It would be highly unlikely that I would miss a bottle cap at that distance much less a 16"-20" bullet trap, but as you said murphys law.

3/4"plywood is not going to stop a .22LR round.

I have done penetration tests with .22 LR using scrap pine 2x4 lumber. It took four 2x4 boards to stop the bullet.

There's also the lead dust issue, it's not just the bullets, non corrosive primers use lead styphnate as the explosive charge. Your indoor range will need good ventilation.

I have dropped the idea because of city ordinance. But, I was not planning on 22lr. The question was about cbee 22 or the Aquila primer only loads.

But, I was not planning on 22lr.

The "22 LR" designation is about the cartridge size, and not about the power level.

A good air rifle will allow you to practice quietly and safely indoors, and isn't a "firearm" under the wording of your ordinance

A sheet of plywood stops Aguila primer powered ammo. However, an air rifle is far more accurate in my experience.
I have never gotten good groups out of primer powered ammo, nor from CB longs or shorts.

The "22 LR" designation is about the cartridge size, and not about the power level.

How silly. Why pick an argument? The OP was quite clear he wasn't going to use a regular .22. Everyone here knows what a ".22" means in the American lexicon. SO much so they have to spell out when it's NOT a common .22 LR rimfire cartridge, as he did...

Back