Rights to hunt or not be hunted

Status
Not open for further replies.
>>>>>>Okay, I see your point about humans having been part of the predator/prey environment on some continents (the old world) for hundreds of millenia. Even in N & S America we have been here for 10,000 years<<<<

Dagny,

No. That too is a myth. The common animals we know and hunt like deer, elk and moose are old world animals that came across the Bering land bridge WITH man, about 20,000 years ago. The animals that lived here prior to that time - animals not adapted to human predation are gone, replaced by the old world animals that came with us.
These animals have adapted further in north america, The red deer became our elk. The moose grew larger, etc, but they are the same animals found in Eurasia.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Yes, in some states you can buy a "grandslam" licsence. In washington you can buy all the licences at once (all the fishing and hunting anyway, the fungis, seaweed, and shell fish are 3 completely different forms), but they aren't any cheaper that way, well actually theres a dollar handling fee on eaach tag, so if you get them all at once you save like $4. And then in Idaho, they have the "sportmans tag" which is a book of tags of everything, bear, deer elk, turkey cougar, etc, for like $80, and you do save from buying individually, on the tags, they still bend you over for the licsences, and there isn't that much hunting pressure there, compared to a few other places I've been, idaho, AK... Most that money probably goes to the $10K Poaching rewards they have. So basically, they take the hoinest peoples money and use it to fight poachers, we're being hosed. just my thoughts, glad to be here.

i wrote this awhile ago on TFL

let me paste it in
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Weapon ownership, pride, and respect have been part of the human species for the last 50,000 years. When i
hunt deer, i am putting my psyche in touch with an important part of our human sphere of consciousness.

The hunter is a real part of all of us.

It has only been within the last 100-200 years that modern agricultural practices have replaced the woodscraft
with managed farmed animals. We now live very much out of step with nature. Now some of our kind feel the
hunter is an anachronism best left behind in our modern "safe" world.

Yet our children continue to play at hunting games. i had some "real" hippie friends in college. They were
practicing pacifists and vegetarians. Their child would find bent sticks and play. Bang! They did not own a TV...
We should not delude ourselves as much a we do. From the times before the Clovis point, our children have
played at the hunt. We owe them the knowledge of safe, respectful weapon skills.

Our species is driven by desires. Our physical world is a lot more complex and difficult to survive in than our
current worldview. Consider what it would take to gather and provision a root cellar for one winter. We now have
the incredible luxury of boredom. We can purchase a years hard labor with a swipe of a plastic card. We have a
tendancy to want more than we require. Most of our people now prey upon ourselves, to gain what we feel we
need to exist. Walk onto the car sales lot and feel what its is like to be hunted. Compare the common sizes of
the clothing closets in a modern home to one from only 50 years ago. One hundred years ago, if you wanted
to hear music, it required live musicians. Our luxuries have enslaved us to require more and more things to
support our vision of "the right way to live". Some of us work very hard to get a chin up on the ladder. Others
covet, then steal to acquire the symbols of the luxurious life.

Our world has dramatically changed, yet we are still mortal humans.
We know so much, but are in touch with so little. The founders of the American experiment knew that we would
continue onward to this point. This is why the Bill of Rights was written, to benchmark the rights that are the
incarnate in all people.

These rights shall not be infringed,
and we owe it to the future to vigilantly educate and protect ourselves.[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back