Right scope for me?

Not true, as I and many hunters I know have used such scopes for many years. My only variable is a Leupold 2.5X8 with a 36MM objective. It provides more than adequate brightness even before or after legal shooting times.
I have to agree. While a young'en might be able to utilize a 6 or even 7mm exit pupil few of us can do that by 40 much less 50. A 36mm scope at 8x will give you an exit pupil of 4.5mm. That's plenty and just a tad more than 9x magnification with a 40mm objective. At that point what's going to matter more for those of us over 40 is the quality of the glass and the coatings that the manufacturer uses. In other words is 98% of the light gathered passing through to the eye or only 90 or 94% and is the view crystal clear or a bit fuzzy. Neither of those should be any issue with a top-notch scope like a VX-3 or any of the other scopes in its class.

Assuming good glass then for reasonably bright daylight shooting a 2.5mm exit pupil be fine and while 4mm+ comes in handy when light starts fading.

Last edited:
Right Scope

Buy the best you can afford. Cheap glass is one place I have learned not to go. Do your best and you will be happy. I have gone the cheap glass which works fine for awhile but soon it doesn't hold zero and if you know Murphy it will be when you have that trophy buck in sight. Good luck and enjoy.

I really like Nikon Monarchs. They are nice scopes, hold their zero well and in their price range, they hold up well against Leupold and Zeiss entry level offerings.

On a lighter rifle such as that a 3.5-10X is just too much scope. It is too big and messes up the looks and balance of the gun. The VX-3 in a 2.5-8X36 is made for that rifle. I'd also consider the 1.75-6X32. Either offer more magnification than you need. They cost and weigh less and will look better on that rifle.

you should be able to mount a 3-9x40 on standard rings. x36 and x32 will not give you much of a sight picture or bring in much light. Suggest that you stay with 40 or more. x50 will fit with medium rings.

Not true. A scope with a 36mm objective at 7X will let in almost exactly the same amount of light as a 40mm objective will at 8X. A 32mm scope at 6X or less will let in the same amount of light. Anything below 6 or 7 with either scope is irrelevent. A 50mm objective is only an advantage when used at 10X or greater.

Last edited:
I would agree with the VX3 2.5-8x36 Leupold for the best scope for that rifle at less than 300yds. If you wont to spend less the VX2 2-7x33 would work very well also.

My VX-3 is a

2.5-8X36, and it is very bright in low light conditions.

Also plenty of magnification for 300 yards.

Lightweight, wide field of view at lower magnification settings.

Also sits low to the barrel/action of my rifle.

I use Conetrol scope bases and rings, which are a bit pricey, but present a very clean, uncluttered appearance. They have no visible mounting screws. Very lightweight.

The right scope

On another note I have all kinds and some have died most work fine. I have a very old NcStar that has held zero for almost 10 years it's mounted on a Yugo Mauser 8mm. Have a few BSA Platinum series scope that have worked fine for years dial up dial down right where you started. Have an ATN great scope holds zero with a BDC to 500 yards for several calibers just to heavy but works great. Even have a few Barska scope had one die on me they replaced it that one is still in the box but several mounted on 308's and an 8mm still work fine. Most of my new scope are WOTAC's his customer service has suffered as of late but Matt stands behind his product. He just got to big to fast and is playing catch up but he has a great product never had one die all hold zero and they have enough range to dial them up for a mile or more. As the need comes up I will replace all my scopes with WOTAC's except for one I want to save and get a Premiere scope with the Horus reticle the more I read and talk to folk that have them that seems the way for everything to end up one scope many good mounts and one set of Larue rings. So so are good some not so good and every once in a while you get a cheap scope that last a life time.

I don't hunt any more,but back in the horse and wagon days when i did:D. A low power scope for the range you are talking about is going to suit you just fine. As others have stated to much power will kill you on a ( all of a sudden close shot ), 6 would be about as high as i would go. As for cheap scopes. I have some what changed my tune. I was always one for cheap scopes. Clarity meant nothing to me. As long as it held zero i just used hold over.Never had a issue. Recently i just got a Sightron 8-32 x 56. Man O Man have i changed my tune now. I still use a Mil Dot cheapy on my 223 zeroed at 200 yards and just use hold over. Cheap scopes and exspensive scopes,,, The big difference is tracking, Clarity is a factor,but a small one. Light gathering is moot at best. I target shoot at 5 AM. I have never had any problem with light gathering. If you zero your scope and use hold over you will be fine. Im not endorsing cheap scopes any more ,but with a 4 or 6 power scope.Clarity and light gathering is not a issue at all,both will do just fine. As one other mentioned,Take a look at Sightron Scopes. It's a over kill,but very nice scope.
Vortex is another great scope/ Ziess is highly over rated and over priced, Great scopes,but not that great. Most if not all Low power scopes (4 to 8 ) will have great clarity and light gathering. Those 2 issues usually only come in to play on high power scopes.

Deer hunting? Any decent 4X will do just fine. I used one for years. My billfold fattened up and I went to 3x9x40. So what happened? It has spent 95% of its life set on 3X.

9X is mostly useful for sight-in, since I can see the bullet holes at 100 yards. :D

I think your choice of the Leupold 3.5x10 is excellent. Stick with the 40mm. There is simply no good reason to go w/ the 50. You can see just fine waaaay past legal shooting hours with the 40mm Leupold and have a better fitting, better looking rig.

In BC you are allowed to hunt a half hour earlier and later than most of us can do stateside. The extra light gathering ability of a larger objective may be of use there. I agree that after a certain age, we may not be able to use the extra light of a 50mm, but I still want around 40mm. My 25mm Leupold binoculars are useless at dawn or dusk, but my 42mm Swarovski, wow! On the coast of BC you have blacktail that tend to show up just as it is getting rather dark where you can use all the light you can gather. I hunt moose around Quesnel and use 40-42mm scopes and wouldn't mind 50mm. 3-9 power is plenty.

Back