Right scope for me?

So this will be my first scope and I hate to go down to the store completely clueless. Im just getting my hunting license and am currently putting together gear- a model 70 featherweight in 30-06. I wont be attempting 250 yard shots or more- probably less I'd imagine.

I like to buy gear once and not worry about it later and I hear leupold makes good stuff but dont know a darn thing about scopes really- or what kind of $$ I should be spending.

Heres a vx-3: 3.5 -10 x 40

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/store...rifle-scopes/vx-3-riflescopes/prod269139.html

I can also get a 3.5-10 x 50 for $100 more but I wanna be able to mount this with low rings for a better fit.

Wouldnt buy a thing without asking the experience folks here first- good idea?

You probably should look for some specs on your rifle. They may have some information on scope ring height.

You will probably not be able to mount either scope you have picked with low mounts.

I have both 40 and 50mm bells and none of them will fit in low mounts on any rifle I own.

Some manufacturers will have a data page that will tell you what height rings to get to mount a particular size objective bell on your rifle.

The various ring manufacturers also have guides.

If you are buying your rifle from a local shop, they can help you with the proper size rings and some may even mount your scope for you.

Be courteous and ask questions when you go in and you will be surprised how helpful they are.

In any event, happy shooting and enjoy the sport. There are a lot of folks on this forum who have a lot of information to share.

Good luck!

Geetarman:D

If you only plan to shoot less than 300 yards you do not need to spend that much on a scope. A red field or nikon pro staff will be perfect. If you want to shoot over 500 yards, thats when you need and expensive scope. Even then, I use a bushnell elite 3200 10x scope and can shoot just fine at the 600 yard line with it.

But, if you want a nice scope go for it, it won't hurt a thing :D

I click on your link and was shocked at that price. You should shop around and check prices, I'm pretty sure Cabela's and Midway can both beat that price by hundreds.

There are a lot of quaility scopes on the market right now, Leupold is one of them. When I shop scopes I look for lifetime warranty, multi-coated optics, and good customer service reputation. I own a VX3 3.5X10X40, it is on my "go to" big game rifle. I've had it since the early 90's and have hunted in extreme conditions with it in Colorado and Utah. It has not disappointed yet and I would not hesitate to buy another.

As far as price- thats what we pay for the privilege of living in Canada.

Hey if I can get by with a cheaper scope I'm happy.

I found a vx-3 2.5-8 x 36 and thats $550, quite a bit cheaper than the other one. Will this work for my range?

You've got a really nice rifle so I'd put a really good scope on it. Unless you're shooting in low light then I'd be tempted to put a smaller/lighter Leupold VX-2 Ultralight 3-9x33 on it to save some weight. If you want more light gathering than that (at the cost of a few more ounces) then the VX-2 3-9x40 or better yet the VX-3 3.5-10 make good sense.

Other scopes in the same class as the VX-2 are Bushnell's Elite 2.5-10x40 and Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42. They have a wider zoom range than Leupold but weigh more. BTW I also like the Nikon Monarch 2-8x32 and have one on my 308.

I usually just do the math but MidwayUSA has a ring height cheat-sheet that can be handy. You'll need the outside diameter of the scope's objective (front) bell. You'll find the objective bell information on Leupold's site or MidwayUSA.

The formula is divide the bell diameter (mm) by 25.5 to get inches. Then subtract the scope barrel diameter (1" or 30mm) and then divide by 2. That will give you the minimum height from the receiver to the bottom of the scope's barrel. Using the Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 the bell is 46mm. 46/25.5 = 1.8". Subtract 1" for the scope body and you have .80", .8"/2 = .4". If you were to use Talley Lightweight mounts you might get away with low but medium would for sure work. With other designs that use a separate base and ring then you'll need to take into account the base height (usually .250-.270").

Last edited:
Your shopping in the right market for the M70. Being from Canada, I wouldn't waste the extra money for the 50mm lens unless I spent lots of time in heavy timber or wanted extra light coming in at higher magnifications. Scopes are a really good area to get yourself specialized.

-7-

Go with the 40mm objective and you'll be fine. As for favorite deer hunting scopes, mine is a 4.5-14X50 VariX III. I personally prefer that range over a 3-9 variable or 3-10.

You won't go wrong with a 3.5-10x40mm Leupold. I guess one of the more popular variables is 3-9x40, of which I own 2 Leupolds. I also own two 2-7x33 Leupolds, but I think my favorite variable is 2-10x40mm, which gives the lower magnification of 2x for heavy woods, while 10x is available if hunting open plains, or cross valley shots. I find most of the time my variable hunting scopes are set on the lower settings.

Rustle in the Bushes said:
I found a vx-3 2.5-8 x 36 and thats $550, quite a bit cheaper than the other one. Will this work for my range?

That would be more than enough scope. If your in BC I doubt you would ever make a shot over 100yds. A fixed 4X would serve you well with less cost, weight and increased reliability.

Buy the best scope you can afford with the 50mm objective for the light gathering capability because if you are deer hunting the big bucks will come out real late down towards dark. Bubba will tell you to get by with a cheap scope but don't listen to that.

I prefer the objectives to be between 40-44mm . I like my scopes down close to the rifle. A 3x9x40 would be fine for the range your shooting. If you think most shots will be closer to 200 + you could consider a higher power. But ive used 3x9 with no problem. Most of my scopes are Leupold & Nikon.

I bought my first center fire scope last year after hunting with iron sights for 30 years. Because of that, I went with with Vortex. They have the widest FOV of any of the manufacturers. I researched for months and finally bought a 2-7x35 Vortex Diamondback for mounting on a sporterized small ring Mauser in 7x57 with medium Warne rings. Since I have nothing to compare it against, you should take my recommendation with a grain of salt but it works for me.

Last edited:
Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 is going to be everything you could want and need for a rig like this. Great piece of glass, good eye relief. Haven't had a single hitch on my 30-06. I'd suggest medium rings although you might get away with low rings. It's best to check the specifications first though. Best of luck on filling the freezer.

Big fan of the Bushnell Elite series as well as the Weaver Super Slams both of which can be found at Natchez Shooter Supply for less than Cabelas, BP, Midway or others usually offer them. Leupold's are a little pricey but good glass however other options that are just as good can be had for less. Do some research and handling of various optics before you buy.

I purchased a couple of 2.5X10X50 Super Slams with the EBX reticle for $329.00 each on sale. Can't say enough good things so far about these optics.

Not sure if Ziess still offeres the Conquest 3X9X40 at the reduced price of $399.00 but that was a great scope for the money. Better than any Leupold of a comparable price, probably better IMO than the VXIII or 3 that they call it now.

But the others are right, you aren't putting a 50mm or even 40mm objective on a M70 with low mounts. Medium for a 40 and high for a 50 would be more the norm.

The writer above me mentioned the Zeiss conquest glass. Cabela's is actually running a special on these and I have absolutely never ever heard anything negative about any Zeiss riflescopes.

I say go with the 2.5-8x36 it is by far my favorite Leupold scope. Since I don't know what is truly available to you in West Canada so I'll stick to your two choices. I have both scopes you talked about and for most of my non magnum hunting rifles the 2.5-8 Leupold will let me see the animals much further out than I want to shoot. I use the one 3.5-10 I have on varmint rifles although it was on a .35 Whelen for a short amount of time.

Many, including me, have hunted for many years using quality 4X scopes. Although I did not ordinarily need to shoot at ranges over 200 yards, I have shot antelope at 500 yards, and deer at over 400 yards. I used 4x scopes by Weaver, Leupold, and Redfield. For the longer ranges a 6X would have been better, but I have never felt the need for even 8X. I do have a Leupold VX 3, but have never used it over 7 power.

If one is going to limit his shots to 300 or less, and sometimes hunt in brush where a good field of view is needed a quality 4X scope is the best. It is small, inexpensive, and does the job.

I see rifles that have high power 50mm objectives that over power the rifle. In my view that is foolish, although I am sure some will disagree.

I admit I have never looked through the top German scopes, but my scopes have always permitted me to shoot at all legal hours without being too dim. My favorite scope is Leupold, and my recommendation for the use of the OP is a 4X fixed power. A quality scope is needed when hunting might be done in zero weather to 100+ degrees.
I want to keep the weight down also.
I would never use a scope that required me to lift my cheek from the comb of the stock.

Regards,
Jerry

you should be able to mount a 3-9x40 on standard rings. x36 and x32 will not give you much of a sight picture or bring in much light. Suggest that you stay with 40 or more. x50 will fit with medium rings.

[x36 and x32 will not give you much of a sight picture or bring in much light.]

Not true, as I and many hunters I know have used such scopes for many years. My only variable is a Leupold 2.5X8 with a 36MM objective. It provides more than adequate brightness even before or after legal shooting times.

Somehow the old writers and hunters, such as Warren Page, Jack O'Connor, and Townsend Whelen all got along well using mostly 4X scopes with OL of 33 or less. I never remember any complaint of their scopes not being bright enough to do the job. I have never failed to get game because my scopes were not bright enough. The early variables at their higher powers were not very bright, but that is not the case now, and one does not need a large OL to get bright images.
However, to each his own, but I never recommend a 50MM OL.

Jerry

Back