Right hand shooting fault... down & right? Newish shooter...

A few pictures of the way i presently grip the full size sig i was shooting that day. So it looks like i need to retrain the thumbs... ;)

How does the grip size look? I put my finger to the trigger so you all could see the reach. Not pulling at all. Gun unloaded and safety checked 3 times prior to pics.

tmp_32388-20160126_223440-11534048080.jpg

tmp_32388-20160126_224542-1-1214290354.jpg

tmp_32388-20160126_224610-12058492448.jpg

tmp_32388-20160126_224650-1-1887989485.jpg

Last edited:
First, your heel of your left hand looks like it's not even touching the grip of the pistol. It looks like it's on top of the heel of your right hand.

Second, those thumbs are WAY TOO TENSE. Thumbs aren't needed to shoot 2 handed. Basically, they should be totally relaxed and stay that way. Look at some you tube videos of Jerry Miculek shooting when he wears the go pro on his head. The thumbs being tense only serve to make you pull or push the grip one way or the other.

You want to make a "grip sandwich", using the meaty parts of the hands to try and cover as much of the grip as you can. It's difficult for me to explain without pictures or actually moving your hands for you.

This site shows some target groupings to help diagnose and correct two-handed shooting issues (targets start on page 2):

http://www.usacarry.com/common-handgun-shooting-problems/

You'll notice a common theme in fixing any issue: a smooth, straight back trigger pull (assuming you have good sight alignment- make sure blurry vision isn't messing you up either).

This is an informative article on the grip and stance that Julie Golob uses (everyone is a little different, so it helps to get a variety of opinions from experts):

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/2011/04/julie-golob-wants-you-master-your-pistol

Your grip looks a little low on the pistol. Compare your grip to Julie's.

I like dry fire practice with a laser cartridge. I use a laserlyte cartridge (for your .40 cal: http://www.amazon.com/Laserlyte-Laser-Trainer-40-Cartridge/dp/B004MC5P0C/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1454037310&sr=1-1&keywords=laserlyte+.40), but there are others. There are a couple of free laser training programs you can run on a laptop with a detachable webcam that actually make dry firing fun: ShootOFF (http://shootoffapp.com/) and HomeLESS (http://homeless-eng.webnode.com/). You can see exactly where your shot would have hit. Make a single change in grip, for example, and you can see how it affects your shooting, without wasting a round.

Thank you Echo.... i have been looking at the laserlyte and surestrike trainers... now to decide which one. I like the sure strike has one that fills the barrel to help you ensure your gun is inert... plus there are no Orings so it should be more dead one in the chamber... but sill deciding! :)

Either one will work. You can get cheap batteries on amazon. The laserlytes have a dense foam or rubber pad on the end where the firing pin strikes. It can wear out faster than the batteries. They do sell a replacement part for $10 (they call it a switch and only sell it on their website). I found that cutting a little piece of craft foam, the kind they sell in paper size sheets at craft stores, and putting it over that pad makes the pad last a lot longer and the laser fires just as well. It is a little finicky getting the laser lined up with the sights, but one or two turns usually gets it. I think the HomeLESS program also has a feature to adjust POI anyway.

If you do decide to get one, I really recommend those free programs- lots of fun and great training. Dry firing can otherwise be really boring. I found that an ancient laptop that I replaced runs HomeLESS just fine, so it's my dedicated platform for that.

Just handle your gun as you would on the range, so you maintain good safety habits.

If the laser trainers make it more interesting to practice and/or more likely that you'll practice, then go for it.

However, you can certainly achieve the same effect by simple dryfire practice. Simply watch the front sight and adjust your technique until the sights don't move at all during the trigger pull or release.

You can also practice without a gun by training yourself to move your trigger finger without tensing the rest of your hand. Lay your arm on a table or in your lap so that your hand is fully relaxed. Now practice moving your trigger finger without inducing motion in the rest of your RELAXED fingers.

Another exercise is to make a fist with varying amounts of tension and then do an "air dryfire" with your trigger finger while watching your other fingers and thumb to insure that they're not moving or that they're moving very little.

At first you will find that it's necessary to move your trigger finger very slowly and deliberately, but with time it will become easier to move your trigger finger more naturally without disturbing your other fingers or your hand.

One other tip is that when shooting two handed, it's generally easier to maintain good trigger control if the shooting hand is more relaxed on the grip than the support hand. In other words, make the support hand do more of the gripping work (since all the fingers can grip together) while letting your shooting hand do less of the gripping work which makes it easier to concentrate on moving your trigger finger independently.

I try to have my middle finger of my hands, having the firmest pressure on the pistol grip.

Instead of "squeezing" the trigger, instead, try thinking of "pressing" the trigger straight back --- with your trigger finger evenly across the face of the trigger.

A good way to instill subconscious training of independent trigger finger control: Try practicing with an ink pen, that has a top mounted clicker release button.

Back