Rifling twist direction

Yes I know this is an old thread. I think with 1911s it is sort of historical. I notice my Colt Python has a left hand twist (LHT) and so do all the Colt 1911s I have. My Ruger and S&W revolvers have right hand twists (RHT) and I am thinking the companies used that when they started making 1911s which was about 2003 for S&W and 2010 for Ruger.

I have noticed most of the 1911s I have do have LHT such as Colt, Kimber, SA, DW, Taurus, Detonics, Safariland, AMT and some others. Now Llama used to use a RHT and I have a couple RIAs that have RHT.

I don't know if anyone actually knows for certain. The old stories said Colt adopted the left hand twist because Sam Colt was left handed.

And that S&W chose the other direction to be opposite to Colt!

For a barrel that has a right hand twist in a left to right crosswind --- The wind will drive the bullet's spin downwards slightly --- Compared to a left hand twisted barrel in a left to right crosswind --- The wind will drive the bullet's spin upwards slightly as an aerodynamic effect.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned that one direction will cause the barrel to screw tighter onto the frame and the other will cause the barrel to unscrew from the frame?

Quick question: in revolver rapid shooting do more S&W barrels come off the frames or more Colts?

:D

A right hand quarterback throws a pass with a clockwise twist on the ball and a lefty the opposite. It makes no difference which way the ball spins.

A right hand quarterback throws a pass with a clockwise twist on the ball and a lefty the opposite. It makes no difference which way the ball spins.

Yeah but lefties are best.

.. carry on.. headin' out now..... :D

~ (lefty) SG

Back