Rifles Available in 6.5CM or .260 Rem.

Very similar ballistically. IIRC hornady is the only supplier of 6.5CM brass so if your okay being stuck with hornady brass and like the CM go for it.

I have been using Hornady brass for my .243 for quite a while. I have 7-8 reloads on my first batch of brass and it's still holding up. When I buy again I might switch to Nosler Custom but I have no complaints with the Hornady brass so far and I have not found one reject in the 150 cases I have purchased new.

As for the rifle if you own a short action rifle just get it rebarreled and HP shoot. If not savage or remington would be my pick.

My .243 is my only short-action rifle. That one will not be tampered with until the barrel is shot out.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk

For a bolt action I would go with a 260, for more case capacity and better market support. I own a Kimber Montana in 260, and have previously owned a Savage in the same.

260 brass is available from Lapua and Remington(I've used both with good results, although the Lapua is tougher), and is easy to neck down from 308 or 7mm-08 of any brand. 6.5CM is available only from Hornady as far as I know.

Loaded ammo for either can be had from a few sources, but there's more 260 out there.

As the Zak Smith article linked to above shows, the 260 ultimately has more potential than the Creedmoor due to case capacity, but they're about a wash.

For my next AR10 upper I plan on going with the 6.5CM over the 260 for loadability within magazine constraints, as the CM has a longer neck. It will also save me from having to keep track of brass between 2 different rifles using the same caliber.

It's really a toss up for the caliber .260, 6.5CM, and 6.5x47L are all very accurate very similar cartridges as far as ballistics are concerned. Though the 6.5x47L is slower, you can push the round pretty hard with minimal pressure signs as Zak notes.

It's really a toss up for the caliber .260, 6.5CM, and 6.5x47L are all very accurate very similar cartridges as far as ballistics are concerned. Though the 6.5x47L is slower, you can push the round pretty hard with minimal pressure signs as Zak notes.

Basically, what I am finding out is that it is going to be hard to get a hold of any rifles in either cartridge right now. I like the Tikka T3 Hunter the best, so far, despite the shorter barrel. I need to handle a TCA Icon. I would definitely consider a Savage, but I never have seen one with nice walnut. Anything I do seems that it will be a special order situation.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk

Just as an FYI, the Steyr Pro Hunter is available in 260. Steyr doesn't even list the rifle as available in 260, but it was for awhile and I have one. I hope to start working with it this month. The trigger is rather incredible.

I would love to have a 260, but they keep sticking the bolt on the wrong side. Anyone know of one under $1,000 for a leftie?

You could easily make one. Take any of the $400 Savages in a short action any buy a barrel wrench, set of go/nogo gauges, and new barrel in .260. By the time you sold the take-off barrel, you'd be out maybe $600 - even less if you picked up a used Savage.

Thanks for the suggestion. Savage and Remington already makes left handed 7mm-08s. I might be money ahead to go that route. I just think the 260 is close to being a perfect deer rifle.

While Remington makes a nice left handed rifle, using one as a doner action would be more costly than using a Savage. With a Savage, any halfway handy person could change the barrel using an inexpensive Savage nut wrench and a set of gauges to do the headspacing. With the Remington, it would have to go to a gunsmith (or at least someone with a proper barrel vise and action wrench) to get the old barrel off and then perhaps need a lathe to get the headspace right.

Sorry, I didn't mean convert a 7mm-08 to 260. It's close enough to live with. I have a left handed Savage in 338, so you don't have to sell me on its virtues.

260 has a slight edge over the 6.5 cm by balistics. 260 ammo is also easier to find in stores. Reloading for it is a breeze. I just sent my daughter 100rnds. of 260 for her Ariska 38 rechambered for 6.5x308 ( I converted before 260 rem was released).

Add the 7mm.-08 to that list.
Ballistically similar to all the others- the larger .284 pill might give you a slight edge in a hunting application.

Back