Rifles Available in 6.5CM or .260 Rem.

FiveInADime

I want a rifle chambered for one of these cartridges and I have been leaning towards the Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 6.5CM. After fondling one of them the other day I am curious what else is out there and peoples opinions. I would like other suggestions of rifles in either chambering. I can't afford a custom and I don't want a target rifle. I would like Walnut but I can always change out a stock.

What do you guys think? I would also like to here some opinions on chamberings, as well.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk

i lean towards the .260 rem., cases are very easy to make and the power factor in just about even. i own a rem 7600 in .260, a browning 1885 low wall in .260 and a rem XP-100R in .260 and like and shoot them all. eastbank.

I've got a Ruger 260 and I really like it. I don't think there's much diff between the two cartridges if the barrel length is the same. Either will do just fine.

Two .260's here - Rem Model 7 and a Rem XP100R. I'll probably sell the XP100R soon (no place down here in FL where I really need that kind of long range pistol) but I don't think I'll ever give up my Model 7.

model 7 .260ss 20 in barrel and browning abolt .260 both great shooters and hell on game.

Although I really like the model seven, I would like to have a 26" barrel or at least a 24". I would jump all over the 700 CDL SF .260 if I had the money.

Is the only advantage of the .260Rem the fact that you can neck up/down brass for it easily? From the reading I have done so far (including the article linked above) it seems that there isn't much advantage one over the other but a majority of people prefer the .260 Rem.

Right now the rifle that meets my criteria best is the Hawkeye in 6.5CM. It has a walnut stock, sporter barrel, 24"/26", and reasonably priced. After handling it, however, I was a little unimpressed with the actions elegance. All of my other bolt rifles are Win. Mdl. 70's and they seem to have more solid, smoother actions.

Stuck on a bolt action? DPMS and Armalite make dandy rifles in .260 and I think DPMS still makes one in 6.5 CM.

Stuck on a bolt action? DPMS and Armalite make dandy rifles in .260 and I think DPMS still makes one in 6.5 CM.

I am absolutely stuck on bolt action. Besides, I think either of those would be cost prohibitive. If I were to spend that much I would just get a custom bolt-action or a Cooper.

Is the only advantage of the .260Rem the fact that you can neck up/down brass for it easily?

No. The .260Rem also seems to be very tolerant of short barrels. It is one of those calibers that seems to loose very little velocity as you go to shorter barrels.

Easy, TC Icon 6.5 CM

Wow, I totally missed that one. You can even get a real fancy piece of wood on those if you want. Now I have to find a place to look at one. 5R rifling and under $700? Where has this one been hiding? Anyone have anything bad to say about this gun?

Nothing bad on the TC man, its a lights out shooter made in the U.S. I can tell you if you load that 6.5 up with factory Superformance ammo at 100 yards you will be sub MOA every 3 shot group. Hornady and TC have a real thing going with those guns

Given, I will probably never fire a factory round from it, it is still nice to know that the Hornady factory ammo is good.

Wish I knew of a place I could handle an Icon.

Thanks for the info guys.

Very similar ballistically. IIRC hornady is the only supplier of 6.5CM brass so if your okay being stuck with hornady brass and like the CM go for it. I own a .260 so far it's been easy to load for. If i was restricted to both of those I would vote .260 simply because lapua/nosler brass. If were talking 6.5s i'm very eager to build a 6.5x47L, 30 degree shoulder cartridges seem to have a nack for being extremely accurate.

As for the rifle if you own a short action rifle just get it rebarreled and go shoot. If not savage or remington would be my pick.

Doyle said:
No. The .260Rem also seems to be very tolerant of short barrels. It is one of those calibers that seems to loose very little velocity as you go to shorter barrels.

Good to hear, what kind of results are you getting in a 18-20" setup?

.308 retains a decent bit of velocity as well. I would throw .243 in there but you really have to push it just to be decent it's doable though. Our 18" .243 is running 105gr hunting VLDs right at 2700fps though in a 26" we'd probably be getting 2900+.

Last edited:
I've never chrono'd from my 18.5" barrel but Quickload shows my loads should be somewhere north of 2800fps with a 128grn Hornaday SP over RL17.

Back