Rifled barrel vs. rifled slugs

Most accurate: Sabots in fully rifled barrel.
Accuracy: varies, but generally say 2inch @ 100yd. Test your combination to figure out your group size.

Middle accuracy: Sabots through rifled choketube.
Accuracy: varies widely. With sabots that "like" the choke say 3inch @ 100yd. With sabots that do not like the choke groups are anyone's guess. Test your combination to figure out your group size.

Least accurate: Slugs through smoothbore barrel.
Accuracy: varies but say 4" @ 100yd. Test your combination to figure out your group size.

I dont think the high dollar rifled barrels and the 2 dollar plus slugs offer that much in a real deer woods.....I could be wrong...but I doubt that most deer killed with a shot gun would average 75 yrds or less...I have killed many inside 30 yrds...I could be wrong....but I know for a fact.....when I lived in Ohio....17 years ago....shot gun smooth bore was it for a long time.....and I have killed lots and lots of deer with my 870 and later my 1100 with Remington rifled slugs

I live in Missouri now and we can use rifles here....and I also know now in Ohio they can use some rifle and pistol cal. Guns.....But

If I had to go back to slugs....I would not have a problem ....inside 75 yrds a smooth bore and a slug WILL get it done...very nicely.....my old 1100 will clover leaf them at 50 yrds....and it is a sledge hammer

All this fancy stuff is a passing fad....lmao....

My .02

Ocharry

A Mossberg 500 , 12 Gauge 24" Rifled Bore Shotgun Barrel 3" Chamber Cantilever Scope Mount , with sabots is more accurate than a smooth bore with forster slugs.

At 100 yards- Cantilever - 4" groups of 5 shots with sabots. Forsters do 8"

Smooth bore - forster slugs , iron sights 50 yards, i forget, but not a 100 yard rig. 75 yards maximum.

I cast Lee 12 ga key drive slugs for a scoped Mossberg Cantilever. Fired 7 groups of 5 shots each for an average of 7" , with the best loading.

When a petal breaks off the shot cup on firing, that slug becomes a flyer. Factory shells sabots are a lot thicker and dont have the petal problem.

Forget rifled choke tubes.

Rifled barrels have different twist rates between brands. The slug has to match the barrel.
Remington would only be accurate with there slug, years ago.

Mossberg had the first rifled slug barrel in production, while working with the inventor of the saboted slug.

Last edited:
> Rifled chokes are largely a gimmick engineered to separate shooters from their cash.

Possibly, but "Paradox rifling" was basically the same thing, offered by Greener, Purdey, and the other premium shotgun and "bore rifle" manufacturers of the 1800s.

http://www.corsonsbarrels.com/

I have only tried one rifled choke. A Remington factory on an 11-87. It was a total waste of money. Accuracy was awful with several brands.

In my limited experience, rifled barrels would shoot almost any saboted slug reasonably well.

Really have to work on matching the right rifled slug to the right choke.

REM_870_Express_Tactical_A-_TAC_Rifled_Choke3_sm.jpg

Good examples Mehavey. Now, to get an accurate judging could you repeat the tests with Improved Cylinder and Modified chokes?:D

Not to throw gasoline on the fire but I shoot 1oz rifled slugs through a rifled barrel regularly. Accuracy is about 1.5 MOA. In fact I have done it hundreds of times and never had a problem. A normal 8 round group at 100 yards has all holes touching. I use a 3X scope on a cantilever barrel on my 11/87.

They said lead would build up (it hasn't), they said the round would become unstable in flight (they are not) someone even said my gun might blow up (it hasn't). I do run a bore snake through the barrel after I am done shooting every time.

Why do I do it?

- Because I can
- Foster slugs are 50-75% cheaper than sabots
- Works for me

YMMV.

Back