Rifle Scopes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect he was thinking about a ground hog.

Speaking of age I think some of you would still use a black and white TV if you could find one.

Thanks

Thank you one and all for your input. Yes, I can see why each has his/her own feelings about scopes/guns/calibers and all of that. And I appreciate someone speaking his mind on these things. No one is wrong about this, IMHO. Anyhow, I just bought an older Weaver 4x38 with a dual x reticle off ebay for 55 bucks. I'm hoping that this will be a useable scope. And yes, that older Savage 340 in 30-30 will do me just fine. I live and hunt in the north woods of Maine (coastal actually), and rarely find shots over 50-70 yards. So a lower power scope with the lower power caliber will do fine. Last year when things were a little better, I bought a Weaver 2-7 scope for my Marlin 336 in 30-30. Never got a sight or a shot of a deer, but shooting at targets it suited me fine. Most of my hunting through the years has been with a lever 30-30, although I have owned and hunted with bolts, up to a 270. I never hit a deer with the 270 in spite of shooting at a lot of them. Flinching from the noise/kick of it might have been the problem, I don't know. I once had a 7x57 Mauser that was sporterized, and it was probably the best shooting/performing gun I have ever owned or shot. Very mild noise and very little recoil and my confidence in it filled the bill. And yep, I shot deer with it. Unfortunately I sold that some years ago, had a spell of not wanting guns around. Didn't hunt for more than 30 years. But now with an over 70 lifetime license in Maine and at my Brother-in-law's urging, I'm back at it. Forgotten how much I enjoyed it. The woods, the challenge, the solitude, everything! Again, much thanks to all of you who responded with your opinions. I value them all. Perley :)

I'm glad you found one you like, Perleyu. Let us know how it works out. :)

I suspect he was thinking about a ground hog.

Speaking of age I think some of you would still use a black and white TV if you could find one.

Yea, he's talking about groundhogs. The names are interchangeable. Here's a picture of one of the largest I can recall seeing, remember this is out of many hundreds that I've killed. This one is at least 4 years old and has lead a life of leisure and unlimited food in someone's back yard, a condition the average 'chuck in a field never achieves. That's a size 12 shoe. Alive and sitting up, that critter would be narrower and shorter. If he's 1/3 the size of a 5 gallon bucket I'd be surprised.

attachment.php

You are showing your youth, Rika- I typed "carbine" and you immediately assumed "AR" .... Kids these days ......

You're REALLY stuck on this semantic crap, aren't you? An "AR setup" can also mean "setup like an AR". But whatever, seems he's gotten what he feels is appropriate, so all's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back