Rifle scope

A scope is only as good as its prospective buyers willingness to open his wallet.

I myself have never considered anything other than Leupold brand since day one.

In the past, I would agree with you. But I expect a big part of the problem is people have long memories. It wasn't that long ago that "cheap" really did mean "crap" when it came to optics.

I think quality control and manufacturing capabilities have come a long way in the past ~20 years. The "cheap" scopes of today are hell and gone better than the "cheap" scopes of the 1980s, and are by most accounts pretty decent.

Cheap within reason of course, I would say anything above the $100 price point would be adequate for most hunters, who zero the scope and then leave it alone. For a LR shooter that spins the elevation knob a lot, you want target turrets, and you should open your wallet a little more.

I have a Leupold 6.5-20 target scope, I also have a Vortex Crossfire 6-24, and the Leupold seems to have better glass, the Vortex is perfectly workable scope with most of the features of the Leupold, and cost less than 1/4 the price of the Leupold.

come on guys,,,going to 1000 isnt that tuff,,,hitting on the other hand,,,i have been there many times,,with black powder,,,45-90 and peep sights,,,BPCG,,,just need lots of elevation and windage

my 308 wears a 20min rail and a 30mm tube 8-32x50 scope

like emcon5 said,,, you will more than likely need a rail fix,,,i would suggest a 20 min. rail,,,unless your scope has a lot of elevation adjustment,,,,and i would also suggest you use a 168gr. or heavier bullet,,,my rifle like 175 nosler match,,,if you reload that will help too,,,,feed it what it likes and you can go there with the rig you have + an elevation rail,,,,

i would also tell you that it will help if the rifle has a really nice light trigger,,and you pay close attention to it,,,,trigger control is your friend here,,,,and follow through,,,stay with the gun,,,after recoil it should settle back to the target,,,lots more involved out there than the gun and scope

you can do it,,i know you can

i will toss this on the table too,,,i think most middle of the road glass today will be better than 20,,,maybe 15 year old glass of the past,,i can say this because i have both and when you put them both on the bench at the same time,,,well you just have to look,,,and you will see

my .02

ocharry

AKA _Vortex brand. Also known as the Gypsy of scopes. Invented in Australia. Business office in Wisconsin. Made in China Japan & the Philippines.
Crossfire models are quality Chinese made.

I have a ruger american predator in 308. I have a vortex crossfire ii 4×12-44
OK, so all told, you have about $500 total tied up in your long-range rig. Can you shoot 1,000 yds? Sure. Can you do so with any kind of reliability or consistency? Probably not. But don't worry, it will take you a while to work up to 500, 600, 800, 900, and eventually 1,000 yds. By then, you will have developed the skills needed and will probably have replaced your current setup for something more suitable. But by all means, go out and get good with what you have, and keep working at it until you feel you are limited by your equipment, then upgrade.

The problem with an inexpensive optic at long-range isn't just clarity, it's that they usually will not track accurately.

A box test should be done on any long-range scope to check whether the adjustments made are accurate, and that the reticle returns to the original "zero". If the actual reticle movement isn't what it should be it's impossible to make corrections.

Along these lines...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZx0GwmVl98

Back