Rifle Scope For Wooded Areas

I've shot deer from 4 to 400 yards with a 4x scope. If you learn to use a scope properly, 3-4x is not a handicap at close range. Most of my current deer rifles have 2-6 or 3-9 scopes mounted.

I use a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 on my coyote gun. The true 1x is perfect in the thick scrub in the washes and canyons. The 4x setting works well out to almost 700 yards. I have kills witnessed out to 450 yards with this setup.

But the amazing part of this optic is the illuminated 1x reticle. It is even faster than an EOTECH or Aimpoint Pro on the same rifle. This is usable in the scrub where you only get a glimpse of your target and you have at most two seconds to get on target and fire.

For NATMAN above, the ACOG has reliably been used in CQB environs with a fixed minimum of 3x and 4x for years. Once you have properly trained with their Bindon Aiming Concept, it is faster and more accurate than an unmagnified holo sight. Similar concepts work with other scopes with similar minimum magnification.

Where I hunt is pretty thick with a couple of shooting lanes out to 100-150 yards.
With eyes like mine it's good to have a scope to see a branch or sapling in the way, That could cause a miss..

I've been lucky the last dozen or so deer I harvested, 80% were neck shots DRT
That I could'nt make without a scope ;) PS I keep my scope on lowest power
while in the stand, If they are far enoughf away I crank it up ; )
Y/D

x10 for Trijicon Accupoint if you can afford but there are MANY MANY "ar15" scopes in that general power range (1-4, 1.5-4.5, etc) and size, with wide field of view (though heavier than say, an Accupoint), which will work well.

My favorite all-purpose budgety scope is the Nikon Omega 1.65-5x36. Since they are apparently discontinued, snap them up while you can (check Natchez SS). I have 6 and wish I had more. You can use them on centerfires, rimfires, scout scope placement, handguns, ar15s, anything.

By the way, the now-discontinued Trijicon Accupoint 1.25-4x24mm 1" tube scope is a much better scope for most purposes than the newer, more expensive 1.0-4x24 30mm tube Accupoint. Sure the latter gains you 0.25 less magnif on the low end to get you to 1.0x (but who cares - 1.25 is just as good, unlike 1.5, IMO) - but you give up an incredible amount of eye relief. The old one had about 5" of ER on 1.25x. The new one sucks with less than 3" I think.

Last edited:
Great thread. Here in NY we have some pretty dense woods. Low power scopes are the most useful. I have a few 2-7 power scopes on my deer rifles. The only time the magnification is turned up is when I sight them in at the range.

"Would you care to enlighten us on the proper technique? "
Learn to mount the rifle with your eye aligned with the ocular lens to begin with. Learn to raise the rifle to your shoulder and find the target w/o a lot of "rubber necking".
I've seen many shooters who can't do either of these things miss shot opportunities simply because they didn't do their homework.

"Would you care to enlighten us on the proper technique? "
Learn to mount the rifle with your eye aligned with the ocular lens to begin with.
I agree with this one and it is why mounting the scope properly is so important.

Learn to raise the rifle to your shoulder and find the target w/o a lot of "rubber necking".
I've seen many shooters who can't do either of these things miss shot opportunities simply because they didn't do their homework.

I would suggest that the "rubber necking" is because the shooter can't find the target or if they do see the target all they can make out is fur because the magnification is too high for short distances.

It's faster and easier to acquire the target with low magnification than with high magnification, regardless of technique. It's one thing to put up with it if the high magnification offers some benefit, but it doesn't if all your shots are well within 100 yards. Which is exactly the case with the OP.

Back