Rifle recoil energy?

Semi auto shotgun vs double bbl

I have an old Monkey Wards double bbl 12 gage. Heavy old brute. I shot hundreds of rounds dove hunting, shooting trap, pheasant hunting with that gun. 2 3/4 inch magnum number 4 buck for goose hunting was brutal. A guy I knew had a 12 gage Browning semi auto. He let me use it on a pheasant hunt. It was downright fun to shoot. Another acquaintance had a 10 gage semi auto (don't know the brand) he used to hunt Canadian geese. He let me shoot it with a full house goose load. It was very mild recoil. I know shotguns are different than centerfire, but those experiences convinced me a semiautomatic generates less felt recoil.

Another acquaintance had a 10 gage semi auto (don't know the brand) he used to hunt Canadian geese

The only 10ga semi auto I'm aware of was made by Ithaca, and after they ended production, essentially the same gun was made by Remington for a few years.

Simple physics isn't so simple- you really need calculus to speak physics. Sorry.

I have 2 shotguns that weigh exactly the same.
One is a gas operated semi-auto shooting 1 1/4 ounce load at 1200 fps with a kick-eeze pad.
Other is an over and under 20 gauge shooting 7/8 ounce load at 1200fps. Stiff rubber pad.
Both shotguns are excellent fits to my physique.

Simple physics says the recoil from the 12 gauge should be 10/7 or 1.43 MORE
But the perceived recoil from the gas operated semi auto is WILDLY, CRAZY LESS. You simply can not ignore how soft it shoots.

The gas operated semi auto delays the impulse to your shoulder over time... although it delivers more total momentum, it does it as a big SHOVE

The fixed breech 20 gauge delivers less total momentum but it does it all at once, Punching your shoulder.

Put it this way, would you rather have Duane Johnson PUSH your face as hard as he can (he's a huge strong guy with much momentum) or 100 pound woman boxer punch you (bare knuckles) in the face?

The calculus of this is that the total momentum is the area under the curve of a time dependent function but force is mass time acceleration and the acceleration is changing over time.

Back