Rifle or shotgun?

Since I also reload my own shot shells. Why not a 12 ga.
10-12 grs. of Green Dot under 1-1/4 oz of #6 shot isn't the fastest shot string in the woods for us far sited bifocal users. Undoubtedly this shot shell has the best short range shot pattern for the squirrel purpose. "That's true & for certain"

I've taken far more squirrels with my older break open single barrel in 16 gauge. Barrel has a full choke. It's a featherweight and can be carried all day and I hardly notice it's weight at all. My 22 rifle has accounted for many squirrels too but many misses as well.

Jack

"I like a rifle better, but you have to choose shots carefully. A 22 shot into the air that misses can travel a long way before coming down. In some locations a shotgun is a lot safer."
This the reason I switched to the 17HMR. While it can fly a long way, the energy level is far less than a common 40 grain lead 22 bullet. In addition, hitting nearly any part of the foliage will "self destruct" the fragile little bullet rather than send it ricocheting off like a 22 bullet often does. If you shoot the rats in the head, the destructive power doesn't affect the edible parts anyway.
I don't hunt squirrels often-usually only with the Grandsons. I also appreciate the killing power of the 17 when the boys make a poor shot.

Well as I have mentioned, I'm new to guns and hunting. So after looking at Illinois hunting rules, I find out that ONLY 22lr rimfire can be used.

Unless I missed something.

I've been curious about trying my .50 cal muzzleloader with a light powder charge. Many old timers do this with even larger patched balls too. Seems kinda ridiculous but I don't guess it's worth trying anyway. Sure would take the head off rather cleanly I'd guess.

I've been curious about trying my .50 cal muzzleloader with a light powder charge. Many old timers do this with even larger patched balls too. Seems kinda ridiculous but I don't guess it's worth trying anyway. Sure would take the head off rather cleanly I'd guess.

wasn't the practise in ye olde days to shoot your muzzleloader at the tree next to the squirrel? and the shrapnel from the tree got the squirrel?

Green Lantern-
You've got me curious, so I'll have to take another look at the regulations. But I've never heard that. There's a long tradition of using shotguns for squirrel, and I don't recall any prohibition on centerfires. Sometimes certain public hunting areas are more strict, but private land is a different story.

One time I scalped a squirrel with a deer slug, on purpose. I lined up the shot so the bottom of the slug just grazed the top of its head.

Simple, BOTH...

depending on conditions.
Prefer a 16 ga, using #5 shot, or .22LR m77/22 or Marlin 60, sighted in for 25yds., max range is 32 yds. good enoughnfor head shots, close -up.
using CCI standard 40 solids. Most shots are in to tree trunks, some in to air try to be 80 degrees or mmore vertical.

Back