Rifle Newbie Here

Not a slam, Its really impossible to say you like rifle and long range shooting when you have not done it.

So as has been noted above, shoot the 22.

While its fun, shooting clay targets is not going to teach you anything.

Not that you can't mix fun in, but what you want to do is get a target, set it up and 25 yds and start practicing. Gun control and trigger pull.

When you can do a bull eye on each shot at 25, take it out to 50 and then repeat.

You also need an accurate rifle and you will need a scope (or a good peep site setup)

If you are going to do long range bench shooting, then at least longer term a Savage MKII would be the way to go. Its heavy which is what long range rifles are (steady and easier to hold on) it has types that have peeps if you want to shoot iron or scope for that type of shooting (I shoot scopes my eyes do not do well though I am so so with a good peep setup)

Short term CZ 452 and the newer 455s are the best bang for the buck

I don't know about Ruger, they are new.

Levers Action are fun, but they also tend to be iffy for tack driving accuracy.

With a good 22 and if you can shoot, you should be able to do a dime size 10 shot group at 50 yds. Until you get that any center fire rifle is going to be a waste of time.

CZ runs $350-400 or so and a good scope is going to be another 100 or 200 (I like Leopold but there are other Rimfire scopes out there)

Savage probably can be had at around $400, you get a lot of bang for that gun buck but it is not a field gun.

YOu hae to sort that out, Ruger and CZ are good field guns as they are light, but if you are really do get into long range.

There is nothing wrong with two 22s, as noted, everyone should have one general 22 and the target being an option.

I have a CZ 452, love it, tack driver and I would be better off with the shooting I do to have th MKII. I didn't know where I was going at the time.

Ammo is not going to be inexpensive as some have noted.

If you want good accuracy you pay for it, that is the bricks that are up in the 60 and 70 dollar range. Norma Tach is fairly prevalent and the 452 likes it.

Buy one box quantities to start with, 22s can have some pretty dramatic preference though the CZ tends to shoot every ok, some better to where its a tack driver.

I have 5 different quality 22 types, some are very good European and the 452 shoots it so so. I have some old Remington blue box target it shoots better than the European stuff. Go figure.

Lower cost ammo is fine for plinking, but if you are serious about target and long range, you need to be able to shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds ( 1/2 MOA would be the more technical term.)

So, go slowly, figure out what you want.

If possible shoot a center fire rifle. The 223s, 243 6 mmm don't have a lot of kick.

308 start to have a good kick, 300 WWM and the 338s will thump you good.

Bad news if you get a 338 Lapua to start and then find you have a flinch!

First you master 50 Yards with a . 22.

Then 100 Yards with a .22.

Then you are ready for a center fire rifle.

Hmmm, I got 50 yds down fine, 100, not so much.

Too many variables at 100 yds to know if its the conditions or you with a 22.

If you can do 50 with a 22 then its time to think about what center fire you want.

100 yds and over, That's what the 308s and 30-06 Target and or Varmint barrel guns are for!

Thanks everyone. One of the ranges I go to, I know has a ruger american .22lr I can rent and try out. I'm going to do that on Wednesday afternoon.

What do you suggest for a target, just paper? When I fired AR's with my friend, his guns obviously we shot at clay targets down field. Is the .22lr too weak for that?

I appreciate the advice everyone.

It's exciting to hear you're getting interested in target shooting with a rifle. How did you like the Ruger American rimfire rifle? For a modern bolt action I like it pretty well. I get about 3 inch groups at 100 yards which is decent enough for me for bulk .22LR. I do find that hollow points can cause feeding issues. It uses the same magazine as Ruger 10/22 which I find also has similar issues. If you stick with round nosed ammo it seem to work great. My daughters love to shoot it and after they became proficient with the open sights we bought a cheap Bushnell 4x scope at Walmart and they are now learning to use a scope. It's good enough for that use.

I know some suggest getting something other than a semi-auto for your first rifle, but for an adult, for my money I'd go with the action you think you'll want in the end, be it bolt action, lever action, pump action or semi-automatic. Most adults who have healthy motor skills should have no issues being safe with a semi-automatic weapon.

.22LR is a great suggestion for simple target shooting out to 100 yards. You may also want to consider a .223/5.56x45 chambered rifle as an alternative if you think you'll have an interest in training yourself for longer range shooting out beyond 100 yards. You can find several options for bolt or semiautomatic in .223/.556. It's still fairly affordable to purchase ammunition and it will allow you to learn to target shoot to 500 yards or beyond.

Some mention a scope but if you have 20/20 vision there is no reason you can't learn to be accurate to 100 yards with iron sights, be it open sights or aperture sights. I always recommend learning to use iron sites proficiently before using optics.

I suggest paper targets for learning true target accuracy because you can gain more insight into where you hit and analyze why with more success. You can definitely break a clay with a .22LR, sometimes clays break themselves just sitting in the box and they are actually designed to be broken by the small bbs from a shotgun target load. As mentioned it may not be the best choice for turkey teaching accuracy but they are great fun I shoot and can break the monotony of paper targets. They are also great for learning target acquisition. If you are at a range where you can place several out at various distances it allows you to lend how to move from one target to another. A scenario that is less about precision and more about quickly acquainting a target and being accurate enough to hit.

There are a lot of interesting target scenarios you may eventually get interested in. No hurt in breaking it up a bit and mixing in other targets such as jumping targets etc, but then using the paper targets to develop precision.

If you really want to learn fundamentals look for a "Project Appleseed" event nearby (https://appleseedinfo.org). They are really neat learning events. I'm going to be taking my daughters and wife to one in the springtime.

Have fun, and let us know how it turned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (meaning my post is likely full of poor typing and autocorrects using wrong words)

Last edited:
Back