Rifle match - Would I be laughed at?

A carbine won't qualify as a Service rifle, but it will qualify as a match rifle. It won't be competitive in either class anyway unless you are extraordinarily good but noone is starting out anyway. Buy/build what you want, take to some matches and have fun (I can pretty much guarantee that you will). If you decide down the road to dedicate yourself to the sport buy a dedicated rifle then.

Noone is going to laugh at you, everyone started out at the bottom with less than ideal equipment at some point in time. If anything, you'll probably get insistant offers from other shooters to use their spotting scope and mat on sight and also help with your positions and sling if you asked.

Match shooters are generally a gregarious bunch of guys who will go out of their way to help you in any way they possibly can. Use whatever you have, admit that you need help, and it will be there for you.
If you decide to shoot in a league, keep your eyes and ears open for some truly great deals on used rifles. As shooters get better, they usually will upgrade to better equipment, which leaves the oportunity for you to do the same. The unfortunate reality is that being truly competitive in highpower costs money.
You can have a ball using whatever you have. If you have no desire to win matches there is no need to upgrade to anything else. If winning matches is your ultimate goal, be prepared to spend a bunch of cash. Match rifles COST.

cracked butt said:
It won't be competitive in either class anyway unless you are extraordinarily good but noone is starting out anyway.

I placed 4th in the match! Out of five shooters. :rolleyes:

Fly

If you shoot well and have fun, that's a victory in my book.

My club went to a pistol match with near-stock 1911s and glocks. We had fun and met some really nice people. The people who really wanted to win showed up with custom-built race guns and could fire a 4th shot at a second target before the first casing hit the ground...but winning the match wasn't our ultimate goal.

Back