Rifle for my Daughter to hunt

30-30 150 gr will be fine. Keep the sessions short, it is better to go back than to over do it and develope flinches and a general dislike of high power rifle shooting. IMO recoil and muzzle blast are unpleasant sensations that become more and more fun as a shooter gets used to it and sees results. Best of luck with her, I think you are going about it the right way. Keep it fun.

First rifle for a Lady

I bought my son a 243 Model 7 Remington. He loves it and has never had one move out of its tracks. We shoot right behind the shoulder about a third of the way up the rib cage and boy it does a job inside the rib cage. MUSH:) The young Lady will like the weight and with a limb saver recoil pad, she won't notice the recoil.:D

Ain't it a wonderful thing that first, he is teaching his daughter how to hunt, and doing it darned seriously?

And secondly, ain't it great she not only hunts, but also gets involved in field dressing and quartering out her own game meat?

ok, the practice shoot went..... not as planned. She was having trouble learning how to shoot with a scope and how to see and not flinch.

practice abandoned for a day.

Went to Wal-Mart and bought a remmington 587 in .22. (mossyoak camo)
a cheap scope and a box of rounds.

Practice session number two. 70 shots later she is putting rounds in a 5 inch circle at 100 yards with the .22. (I purchased a black stick on target that turns green where the round penetrates it.)

She shoots 5 times and runs down the range to see the target holes. Ok so now I can't smack the grin off of her face.

Move to the 30-30 marlin (it is the only rifle that fits her comfortably)

9 shots later, she is sighted in to a half dollar circle on the target at 50 yards. She likes it but I figured this is enough for the day.

The Marlin is a lever action 30-30 with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9 X 40 scope. She has adopted it. Tomorrow after church, round 2.

After much ado about the other rifles, she landed on the 30-30. I thank every one of you for your input. Wish us luck this fall on her first deer.

Real glad she is taking to it, 30-30 will do what she wants and if she gets real keen get her a 6.5x55, low recoil, more than enough killing power and doesnt have the sharp crack of the 243/25-06. It will kill anything except brown bear ( you really need more energy on those) for her. But if she is happy and shooting well that is perfect.:D
My daughter learnt on my 222 centerfire and when she goes with me she grabs the 6.5x55 and leaves me the 270! which I like anyway luckily.

My Daughter Started Hunting At 12.i Got Her A Winchester Model 70 Mini Carbine In .243.beautiful Little Gun Bought It Off A Friend.
Stay With Something With A Short Action More Compact Rifle.that Way She Won,t Have The Burden Of Lugging Around A Large Gun.she Will Love You For It.i Am Also Looking For Another .243 For My Second Daughter Who Will Be 12 This Year.good Luck And Happy Hunting.

The Bark Is Worse Than The Bite!!!!!!!!!!

A big plus 1 for the Foxman.

If you want what I would consider a relatively low cost but highly effective rifle for a beginning shooter for deer, you would be hard pressed to beat a good Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55. Excellent, accurate round with little recoil. Replace the rear sight assembly with a B-Square mount (no smithing) and install a 4x IER scope, and you have the best of both worlds: a precision grade rifle with a reflex-type sight setup that will allow precise bullet placement out to about 150 yards. Add to that, that you can usually find a good Swedish Mauser for around 300 or so, and you're set.

.243 Man! Not a youth model either. AT 17 and a thin 120 lbs the reach bound to be about right for a full size weapon.
I say the .243 for only one reason. All of the others, 25-06, 220 swift,6.5 x 55 and so on, though admirable unless yu load your own might prove to be a little hard to get where as the 243 will definately do the job and just about anyplace that sells ammo will have 243ammo.
What ever it takes, keep that gal hunting.

Comment about .243

Don't have a caliber to recommend, but a hunting buddy used a .243 for several years and he liked it a lot, except for one thing. He was a great marksman, and too many of the white tail deer he shot ran kinda far before dropping, even though he put the bullet thru their hearts. We hunted in fairly heavily woods areas and finding a deer that had run after being shot was a problem. He switched to a 308 to solve the problem.

I have a 243 in the handi rifle youth model i picked up at a pawn shop for my kids.I have a hard time picking up my other rifles when a go huntin!! If i drop it or loose it i maybe out a couple hundred bucks scope and all!! Kids also learn to make better shots win they only have one. I hunt meat not paper the freezer is almost full!!!!!!!!!!

I thought the .243 was perfect until I got my 6.5 Grendel Hunter. The Grendel is the perfect deer rifle/cartridge combination.

Ya know, Meek, I can definitely see myself gettin' down with that logic, once I get a 6.5 grendel upper from Alexander. Right now, for deer hunting, I have a .270 turnbolt (Savage), a .308 semi (Armalite), a .243 single shot (NEF), a .45-70 lever (Marlin), and a .25-06 turnbolt (Howa), and in all honesty, a *couple* others. :o Since it's so hard to decide which to grab when hunting, maybe the grendel will help eliminate the anxiety in the choice by making it easy! (ya, THAT's the reason I need another gun). :) :rolleyes:

.243 is enough

The .243 will do a great job if you put the bullet in the right place and is you use a fairly quick expanding bullet. Try the NBT 95 gr, Rem accutip 95gr, or the winchester supreme with the 95 gr ballistic tip. The Hornady SST should do well too.

All deer can run quite a distance after being hit. Some collapse almost instantly with a lung/ heart shot, others can run 100 yards.

The .243 turns their lungs to slimy goo with a quick expanding bullet. Some even use 85 gr hollowpoints with great success.

Been gone to read there are a couple of reasons I said the .223, .204,
1. Teaches the Imprtance of being a good shot if a child is scared of a firearm they will flench and wound an anmial and that is not good.
2.Teaches them shot placement this is how my dad did it, I hunted with a .223 single shot and he had his ole' 6m if I missed he would clean up and yes he was good enough to do so.
This is how I will teach my childern to do you do it your own way but it worked with me.:D :D :D

Back