Rifle decisions

I live in the same area as you and the 7mm-08 is very popular around here in short light carbines like Ruger American carbine, Remington Model 7, Tikka T3 light. Just to name a few. The 7mm will cover moose and black bear as well. The 270 is a non starter for this part of the country. The 243 is excellent for deer. Nothing wrong with 308, its just a little more than you need, less enjoyment to practice. You can find 7mm-08 at any Walmart.

For scope I would try and keep the weight in 8-10 ounce range which will be a 32 or 33mm objective. Leupold, weaver and others make compact scopes in 2-7 or 3-9 that meet this. If the budget is tight, consider a 4x32 before you get into a low cost scope 3-9 that weights more. The most useful setting in the woods is 2x. In bad weather the scope can be a handycap. I will take a open sighted lever rifle or pump slug gun if hunting in stormy weather.

Last edited:
I was thinking of the 7mm-08 but see the round is very similar to the 308. I saw some deals on the Remington 7 but never heard of it. Most reviews state Remington bolt actions are no good besides the 700. I only lean towards the 308 because of the ruger predator and all extra you get from the rifle over the American

The predator is heavier. The American carbine takes a simple (light) two pieces weaver base. I think, mine is a 22LR. Two friends are hunting 243 American carbines this year. I not actually handled either since they mounted scopes.

The Remington Model 7 is no better or worse than the 700 quality. The Model 7 has a reduced diameter receiver. I own one and it is a dandy rifle. Same for the old 700, long ago. The 7 is a special light action. Very rare for an american company to go this route. Kimber does this, but double the cost.

I do have a concern with the QC at Remington. Speaking with local gun shops I hear Ruger has as many slip up as Remington these days. But Ruger will fix it fast and right, Remington can be a problem. I let the dealer send back a Remington made H&R and they did a quick turn. On my own, with anther gun they were slow & difficult. I tend to think Remington has a handle on building Model 7 and 700.

Have you looked at Tikka T3 light. Tikka has a good reputation too.

I will have to chime in here, I own 3 rifles in 7-08, I do reload so ammo availability is never a issue. I picked the 7-08 due to its lower recoil, I have one in model 7 (the trigger is adjustable) and it has never given me a issue, either in the field or on the range. Excellent rifle to carry in the woods and it is a real shooter with 140 gr sierra soft points which are deadly on deer, I have carried it on a stand black bear hunt but never was offered a shot. My other 2 7-08's, ruger hawkeye which is a good shooter but it is finicky about the bullets it likes and I did have to change the trigger to a timney. My other is a just acquired Browning x bolt. So far it is a real good shooter and seems to not be finicky about bullet weights. I dont like the trigger and it is a little more money than the OP wants to spend, I will say that a model 7 is not cheap either but well worth the money.

The short action was introduced 50 years ago, but it is not "short". What savage does now, is limit the bolt travel and size of the cutout for loading. The throw is short, but the over all length is the same for all the actions. If this is changed, I want to see drawings.

I found this on the savage website:

You are in error.

http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?128-Savage-Action-Lengths

I have long and short actions. The short action has a different screw spacing and is shorter through

The older ones did have different bolt setup to make it shorter action, that changed some time ago.

If I'm not mistaken the ruger comes with the scope mounting rail already. I looked today at ammo at Walmart and they had one selection for 7mm-08 vs the 308 that there was 5-6 selections of ammo. I will check some other places but the 308 at this point is a better choice.

I will look into the Remington 7. The customer service thing makes me a bit Leary but if it's just as good as the 700 it's worth looking into

You are in error.

I have long and short actions. The short action has a different screw spacing and is shorter through

The older ones did have different bolt setup to make it shorter action, that changed some time ago.

Ok, I believe and I will stop peddling that line. I do appreciate the correction. Savage has made quite a come back. And, I never had one.

If I'm not mistaken the ruger comes with the scope mounting rail already. I looked today at ammo at Walmart and they had one selection for 7mm-08 vs the 308 that there was 5-6 selections of ammo. I will check some other places but the 308 at this point is a better choice.

I will look into the Remington 7. The customer service thing ma

The 308, 223 and 9mm are wildly popular. You are 100% right. I choose a vermint rifle in 223, jsut for that reason. Nothing wrong with 308 or your line of thinking. IMHO, you will never go looking for ammo in the 7mm-08.

I can guarantee the Model 7 is exactly the same quality as the 700. I guess there are various grades across the 7 and 700 line. They should all shoot. If you are concerned about getting a bad one, it is a low probability, I suggest you buy from a good dealer. When I had the dealer handle my problem it was painless for me. I payed full bricks and mortar price and got bricks and mortar service. I do internet too, it depends.

The fact that the Ruger predator includes a mounting rail is a very small deal. I think the weaver bases cost me $10. It is a non issue, as far as I am concerned. You are not buying a military sniper rifle. There is a lot of that mentality on the web today. Pitty canary rail, bi-pod, brakes. Not today. You should (imho) look for carbine barrel and light weight. I have not studied all the specs. You need to dig into that.

A light gun with a big heavy scope makes no sense to me either. Might as well get a good stiff barrel if you decide on a 40mm objective scope. Even rings can be selected for weight.

Edit: I got curious and looked at the Ruger American specs. All models come with the scope bases included. Either 1 piece or 2 piece. A warning, the compact (carbine) has a 12.5 youth, length of pull, 6.0 pounds. That would require ordering an adult stock to correct. The standard rifle is 0.3 pounds heavier at 6.3 pounds in 7mm with a 22 in bbl. There is a lot of give and take in the details. The 308 predator has 18" barrel and 6.2 pounds. I see the appeal there. But a 308 will kick a bit. You might try and shoot a few guns it it is at all possible.

Last edited:
Ok, I believe and I will stop peddling that line. I do appreciate the correction. Savage has made quite a come back. And, I never had one.

I did not either until a year ago. Good guns and you can do your own barrel work.

I have 3 in various target setups now.

They are not fancy, action is smooth though.

Floating bolt head takes out some of the receiver/barrel bolt head alignment aspects.

I wont be able to shoot any before buying. The predator has a threaded barrel for a muzzle break which I hear can help reduce kick. I would go with something like a 243 caliber but it seems that the 243 is not always ideal for deer as it doesn't always do the job as well as some of the other rounds. I have looked round at a few different rifles and have not yet come any closer to a decision. I see the howa game king combo can be had in my price range but can't seem to find anything about it or its scope manufactor which puts me on the fence. It sounds like the Howa is a rebranded weatherby vangaurd. I like the savage 11 or 10 model trophy hunter and the ruger american or predator.

If I go the ruger amecan route I can get a scope package as well that is the vortex crossfire II

update

Ive decided that if I dont stick with a 270 I will be going with a 7mm-08 or 308. I would like to handle a savage 11 or 10 and the ruger american series rifles to see if one feels better in my hands. I am leaning towards the savage line at the moment

Cabella, Dicks etc all have Savages.

For the Hunter Package you get a pretty low cost features, good for hunting, some not so much for wear and tear.

Plastic trigger guard is one, mine was cracked.

I did not care as it went in a different stock which required a different trigger guard.

Plastic mags are ok, but I don't care of the rest being plastic.

rc20 do you find the hunter 11 to be a better deal then something like the stevens 200 or axis II xp? Or would you pick the ruger over the savage if you had to do it again?

I haven't posted for a while, but this is one of my very favorite gunweb sites.
Welcome to the confusion!

If you're into reading, read on!
First thing...don't OVERTHINK this.

It took me over 3 years to finally buy my first centerfire 'hunting' rifle.
Guns & Weapons For Law Enforcement was the instigator when I first discovered the world of 'rifles'. I wanted the exact same rifle I read about.
I think it was the Savage 110FP with a Weaver 3-9x40 scope in Weaver base/rings w/Harris bipod in .308.
Great rating in the magazine and nothing for $hit among my compadres at work!
EVERYTHING was wrong about it according to the 'experts' at work.
So, 3 years wasted reading articles, getting catalogs, learning terminology and ballistics and by then, well, I was wasted. Wasted, I tell you!

THEN, one day, I walked into a BIG5 Sporting Goods Store on a layover...( I'm a Bus Driver, Jim, not a Rocket Scientist! ).
I looked up on the wall and there was a Remington 700 BDL-AS ( 1989 vintage ) in 7mm Remington Magnum.
I'd handled a few rifles in different stores and was familiar with the Remington 700, so I asked to see it.
Upon being handed the rifle, I found the bolt-release button in the triggerguard and pulled it out.
I shouldered the rifle at a distant corner of the the store and just loved the way the rifle felt in my hands.
I said, "the guys at work said anything over a .30-06 would knock my glasses off and shake my fillings loose..."
The guncounter guy smiled and said, "that's up to you!"

I placed the bolt back in the gun, pulled the trigger back and slid it in so it didn't go 'click', then set the safety back on and handed the gun back to the guy behind the counter.
"I'll take it."

Speed forward to the moment I pulled the trigger on that rifle for the first time.
Expecting some kind of EarthShakingMoment I pleasantly enjoyed a very nice pushback and plume-making (according to the bushes in the near vicinity ) explosion of noise and shoulder-motion! resulting in a boom-SMACK on the rock above that I was aiming at.
Yeah.
NICE!
From a 7mm REMINGTON MAGNUM!!!

The .30-06's I'd just previously shot were more 'brutal' in felt recoil, to me.
MY GUN...felt like a nice, friendly and powerful 'weapon' that did not scare me or drive me to tears.

So, all this hoopla over caliber and such is largely up to what you want to experience.
I got a lot of $hit for picking that gun in that cartridge/caliber.
I still have it and it's my favorite.

Had I decided to get the Savage? I'd've been shooting 3 years earlier and who knows where that would've led me...? Right?
Your adventure starts where you want it to.

Advice?
Like I said, don't wait 3 years!
Get to shooting.
Pick one.
I'd at this point, possibly advise...nothing.

Get a rifle.
Shoot it.
Decide what you like in a while.
Get a good used Remington.
Get a rifle.
Get to shooting!

I do NOT regret my choice in that 7mm Rem.Mag. 700/BDL ever.
:D

To some extent I agree, but I find it odd the feeling on the 7mm

I had a Ruger (model 77, back in the early 80s). I was young and tough and did not think much of it but I sure never shot it more than a few rights to sight it in or confirm it was still good.

Fast forward to 4 years ago. Ok, I can't hunt anymore, I might as well sell the 7mm.

Well I better shoot it a few times to see if it still works. 3 shots beat the % )*&^ out of me. Oh yea, I remember that, it hurts more but......

Found a guy who loved it, particularly as I had it setup with see through rings (bear country, brush, trees and backup for a knocked up scope) he was hunting in bear country and perfect for him (try to see a bear in bushes with a scope 50 yards away!

I have shot a 375 HH, 338 Winchester, nothing short of a 3 inch 12 gauge magnum was as bad as 7mm.

The others were more of that push, the 7mm, whacked me with a 2x4, picked up a 8 x 8, beat me over the head, threw a large rock at me and then ran over me with a dozer.

So don't believe everything you read! (grin)

RC20,

7mm Mag...never shot one I liked. My Dad's 1st big game rifle was a Rem 700BDL 7mm Mag. I told him I want it, for sentimental reasons. I have shot it twice, and I might put a few rounds through it when I get it after he passes, but it is more of a touchstone reminder of some of my best memories hunting with my father. I don't think the 3" magnum 12 gauge kicks as bad as my Dad's 7mm Mag.

There are no differences between a model 10 and 11 actions. A 2 digit action is for short action cartridges, a 3 digit model number such as 110 or 111 signify a long action for cartridges like .270, .30-06, or .300 Win Mag.

Pulled from Savage Shooters Forum

10/110 = Sporter (old designation, now 10/110 is designation for the Law Enforcement Series)
11/111 = Sporter (new designation)
12/112 = Varmint Series
14/114 = Classic Series (same as Sporter Series but High Luster Blue and Nicer Wood Stocks)
16/116 = Weather Warrior Series (SS Actions, barrels, and Synthetic Stocks)

AK - Adjustable Muzzle Brake
B - Laminate Stock
BT - Laminated Thumbhole Stock
C - Clip (Detachable Box Magazine)
F - Synthetic Stock
G - Hardwood Stock
H - Hinged Floorplate
L - Left Hand
ML - Muzzleloader
NS - No Sights
P - Police
SS - Stainless Steel
T - (Rimfire) Peep Sights
V - Long-Range (Heavy Barrel)
XP - Package Gun
Y - Youth

This is old info and not all the codes are correct anymore, but it gives you an idea what Savage does to come up with their model designations.

Back