Rifle Cleaning?

CC268,

Don't worry about it. Most of us when we started made plenty of mistakes.

Anyway since it is a .243 and uses the same bolt face as a .308. After you've worn that barrel out just replace the barrel with a .308 barrel and voila you have new but familiar .308 rifle.

Not a mistake after all. That's what this guy does All those calibers are based on the .308 case

Last edited:
CC268, at the rate you will be shooting (200 rounds / year) you will start to see a degradation of accuracy in perhaps 10 years... And that is 'start to see degradation', not 'shot out' as in it might make a difference to you if you are going to use the rifle as a competition bench-rest gun. If you are going to use the rifle for hunting or recreational target shooting, the life of your barrel will extend far beyond that.

overthere said: CC268, at the rate you will be shooting (200 rounds / year) you will start to see a degradation of accuracy in perhaps 10 years...

I think you'd better go back and do more research.

Most of the guys I know that used to use a .243 have switched to 6XC exactly because of barrel life. Most target/competition shooters start to see degredation at 700-800 rounds. The 6XC uses a .243 bullet out of a modified .308 case, but with 6 grains less powder. David Tubb created the 6XC exactly because he wanted .243 performance without the barrel burning penalty. See here

Last edited:
Eppie, do you have any data to back up the 700-800 round claim?

Lilja states 2000 - 3000 rounds of 'benchrest accuracy' for 308 and even if the 243 barrel was to last only two thirds of a 308 it would mean 1300 - 2000 rounds before the accuracy starts to degrade.

http://www.riflebarrels.com/faq_lilja_rifle_barrels.htm#Life

Note that they refer to this as the life of 'benchrest type accuracy' but that it does not mean that a barrel is shot out when accuracy starts to degrade, as illustrated by this sentence

"As a very rough rule of thumb I would say that with cartridges of .222 Remington size you could expect an accurate barrel life of 3-4000 rounds. And varmint type accuracy should be quite a bit longer than this."

If we extrapolate this to the 243, again assuming the quite drastic reduction of 33% barrel life from 308 to 243 it would correspond to "Bench rest type accuracy of 1300 - 2000 rounds and varmint type accuracy should be quite a bit longer than this".

You are seeming to claim that a 243 barrel will be degraded to the point of very poor accuracy in 700 - 800 rounds and I have not seen any data to support this. Again, if you have some data to support your claims I would be very interested to see it.

And please do not bring up this sentence from the link above since the OP has stated he will shoot 200 rounds *per year*: "Any fast varmint type cartridge can burn out a barrel in just a few hundred rounds if those rounds are shot one after another without letting the barrel cool between groups."

In all due respect man I just went out and spent a lot of money on this .243 and getting it outfitted for some target shooting, coyote hunting, and deer hunting. I dont need to hear how my .243 is a barrel burner, etc. I don't shoot a lot like so many people on here. Maybe once a month. If I go to the range I can guarantee you the gun will not see more than 20 rounds through it. That is a little over 200 rounds a year. I will make sure to let the barrel cool down in between rounds. It is frustrating to come on here though and just have people bash my brand new gun because its a barrel burner...blah blah blah. This site has been very helpful but obviously many people on here are much much more hardcore shooters than I am. I am not an Olympic bench rest shooter and not sure why so many people on here get so caught up in these fine little details that don't matter so much for your average shooter. I will probabaly pick up a .308 or something else for elk and some target shooting in the next year anyways.

Last edited:
CC268, if your most recent post is a response to my post then please re-read my post.

The Tikka 243 is a fantastic rifle, you made a good choice getting it and it will not have poor accuracy in 700-800 rounds. Perhaps my posting was not clear but it was intended to challenge the notion that a 243 barrel will have poor accuracy in 700-800 rounds, especially with the usage pattern and target objectives you have indicated.

I have a very simple method for cleaning my rifles and shotguns after EVERY shooting session:

1) Run a dry Boresnake through the bore twice.
2) Run a patch or swab with Safariland CLP through the bore once.
3) Wipe down balance of interior and exterior with a cloth saturated with CLP.

Has worked for decades with no corrosion, etc. issues.

Last edited:
My .243 has had about a thousand rounds through it. Last time out, I put three behind a dime at 100 yards. Seems to still shoot okay for a hunting rifle. I used some copper cleaning solvent at maybe 800 or so rounds, since the groups had opened up a bit. Otherwise? The usual spray of a bit of WD40 on a patch, followed by a bit of RemOil on a patch. Seems as good as any deal.

I agree, Art. That is why I always thought hunting rifles were such a good deal at auctions. What are the chances any of them had more than 200 rounds through them from new?

So should I use this Barnes copper solvent after every time I shoot it or just stick with normal bore solvent and copper solvent after a couple hundred rounds or something??

I used the copper solvent after shooting the rifle for the first time yesterday and it worked really well!

CC268, there's no reason not to use it, whether it's needed or not. :)

As long as you have no rust and the group sizes are constant, I figure that the maintenance is being done properly.

My personal opinion, FWIW, is that folks worry too much about the methodology of cleaning. However, while I stand by what I said in Post #2, I'm not about to tell anybody what they should or must do.

After every shooting really.

1) Run a patch with Hoppe's #9 down the barrel with a coated rod.
2) Go take a break for an hour.
3) Run a clean patch down the barrel, repeat until clean.
4) A few swipes with a bore brush with Hoppe's #9 to break up excessive fouling.
5) Repeat 1-4 until you're getting clean patches.
6) Inspect the barrel.
7) Run an oily patch down the barrel, use Hoppe's gun oil.
8) Run a try patch down the barrel.

Remove the bolt and clean with a wet patch using Hoppe's #9. Clean the inside of the receiver with a patch of Hoppe's #9. Dry with a clean rag. Lubricate (lite coat) the bolt and receiver on any surfaces that touch each other with Hoppe's Gun Grease.

Last edited:
Holy smokes at the different methods and opinions (some of which I can say are just flat wrong, but that's neither here nor there) out there.

1) cleaning the rifle (NOT BORE)... a bolt rifle is pretty easy to maintain. No carbon or soot (or at least no enough to matter) in the action at all. Just keep it wiped down and free of dust and dirt. I would keep some form of preservative (i.e. rust inhibitor). It could be a liberal dousing of CLP, essox, or whatever you want to use. Some are better than others, but use something. I will add that if you're in the desert, use it sparingly.

2) greasing a few key areas is a good idea. I'm not familiar with Tika rifles, so it's hard for me to describe the cocking cam to you. Yes, grease on the locking lugs is a good idea but be conservative with it.

3) barrel break in... everyone swears it's voodoo. Some of the methods I've seen are rediculous (clean after every shot for 10 shots, every 3rd shot for the next 30, etc...). I do practice a kind of barrel break in. I clean after every shot for the first 5. Then I shoot 5 more and clean. Then I just shoot it. I don't think "breaking in" your barrel will make it last longer or be more accurate, but I think it will be easier to clean the copper fouling out of your barrel for the rest of the rifle's service life.

4) for punching holes in paper and hunting, .243 will provide more than 2k+ rounds of service life in a barrel. Sure, there might be some slight accuracy degradation at 800 rounds but you won't notice it unless you measure groups in thousandths of inches and anything bigger than .185 kills your chances at prize money. For your purpose .243 is just fine. BTW, bench guys don't hate .243 because it wears barrels out too fast. Most of pro bench shooters junk a barrel before the 1k round mark, or near it, anyway. .243 just isn't as inherently as accurate as a true bench round like .222 or 6mm PPC... plus it's a little on the recoil heavy side for true bench shooting.

5) cleaning the bore. I don't know your shooting habits, so it's hard to recommend a regimen. As far as precision bolt rifles, I shoot rather infrequently. Sometimes it's a couple of times a month, sometimes I'll go 6 months without shooting. If I'm in an "on again" kick, I don't necessarily eliminate all copper fouling between range sessions. I run a Hoppes 9 soaked patch through and "punch" the bore (run a bore brush through it a few times), then a run an oil patch to prevent rust. I know that I'll probably shoot again in short order, my time is limited so I don't always have time to remove all copper fouling right away, and my barrel doesn't foul bad in the first place so I usually don't see a noticeable accuracy degradation in my rifle until I finally decide that I need to thoroughly clean the bore. You absolutely can have an adverse affect by cleaning the bore too much, or more importantly at the wrong time, however. For a hunting rifle that sees little to no range duty, I wouldn't thoroughly clean the bore until after hunting season. Clean it up good, oil it, and let it sit. If you do go to the range just once or twice and put no more than 15 or 20 rounds through it between seasons, then let it be. If you put a bunch of rounds rounds through it before next season then yes, a good cleaning will be in order. Make sure to go to the range just before the next season begins to get a fouling shot (I like a few for good measure) in. Then don't touch the bore until season is out again. The reason why is your round impact out of a cleaned bore will usually be different than with a fouled bore. You shoot most with your fouled bore (obviously) so that's what you should sight your rifle in for. Some rifles don't shoot much differently between a clean and fouled bore... some rifles can be off by several inches at 100 yards. That could turn into 6 or 7 inches at 200 yards, which could be the difference between good shot and a gut shot.

Last edited:
So many varying opinions...but should i thoroughly clean the barrel after every time I shoot? Or just after X amount of rounds?

Last edited:
So many varying opinions...but should i thoroughly clean the barrel after every time I shoot? Or just after X amount of rounds?

CC268, you will have some people answer 'It must be done after every time you shoot or you might as well throw that rifle in the trash!' and you will have some that will say 'I only clean my rifle after accuracy starts to decline no matter how many rounds that is, cleaning it more often is a waste of time'. And then a large number of answers that are somewhere in-between.

There is no clearcut universal 'right' answer. If you feel better about it cleaning the rifle after each session then I would recommend doing so. If you feel better about it cleaning after a certain number of rounds, then do so. Or try out starting on one end of the spectrum and adjust as you go along until you settle on something that works for you.

I just don't want to ruin my barrel by over cleaning it or ruin it by not cleaning it enough. So I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I went out and shot 9 rounds today...should I thoroughly clean the barrel or no??

Last edited:
Anyone have any thoughts on whether or not to clean the barrel again after 9 rounds?? I just thoroughly cleaned the barrel including copper solvent last time. Only 9 rounds through it today. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I'm sure some people will disagree, but I clean my rifle after each trip to the range. Once I only fired 3 rounds because of overpressure signs. YMMV.

I just don't want to ruin my barrel by over cleaning it or ruin it by not cleaning it enough. So I'm in a bit of a pickle.

Don't stress so hard over it. You're not going to wear your barrel out by cleaning it frequently if you clean it properly. You're also not going to do any damage by choosing not to clean as often. If you choose not to clean after every session, just make sure you use some rust inhibitor often and frequently... and this is not just on the bore but on the whole rifle.

BTW, I know it's been mentioned but for this rifle I would ditch the bore snake. If it was a chrome-lined AR15 I would have no qualms using a bore snake. For a good shooting bolt rifle... skip it.

Back