Rifle case weight vs volume

Here's a 20 shot group at 800 yards made before F class became a competition. Used a 13 pound scoped 308 Winchester palma rifle on bags from prone. First two marked shots were from the clean barrel, they typically leave several fps slower.

Darn Bart, that would beat todays International record

Ontopic were those cases annealed using a induction annealer, everything weight and volume sorted, bullets checked base to ogive etc and powder weighed to .01 gns or were they just loaded on a beam scale and shot

Darn Bart, that would beat todays International record

Ontopic were those cases annealed using a induction annealer, everything weight and volume sorted, bullets checked base to ogive etc and powder weighed to .01 gns or were they just loaded on a beam scale and shot
45.3 +/- .1 grains of IMR4895 on a 1966 Redding beam scale under Sierra 155 grain HPMKs right out of the box. RWS primer in unprepped Winchester cases that were never annealed. Bullet runout about .002 inch seated long to set back about .003" when chambered.

Sloppy ammo does well if everything else is good enough.

Last edited:
I've seen target photos at long ranges but nothing like this. This is awesome. Really nice Bart B. I will dare and say that good shots are subject to variables. The more consistent, the better.. I noticed that you used "Winchester" cases and not Lapua. If you were to rank variables in the cartridge. How would you list them by importance? We're getting a bit off topic here so maybe a new thread is called for.

Sloppy ammo does well if everything else is good enough.

for me everything is a decent barrel and the shooter talent/ability, all this obsession over reloading perfect ammo is mostly marketing bull aimed at people who think they can buy groups with a credit card instead of time at the range

With a focus on case volume and only case volume and powder loads for the average shooter I conclude that with any case and a load of +/- 0.1 grain is good enough. Short of shooting bench rest.

Ron

What's a decent barrel? What's the best way to install it?

Does the action matter? Smallest series of several 10-shot groups at 600 yards I know of were shot with a Winchester 70 control feed action based rifle with a 26 inch 1:11 twist Hart barrel, .7 to 1.5 inch groups.

Last edited:
Bart why is it you seem to have seen or shot all these jaw dropping groups but not a one of them can be found in any official record. Just curious

Bart why is it you seem to have seen or shot all these jaw dropping groups but not a one of them can be found in any official record. Just curious
Same reason why all the other groups shot outside sanctioned events aren't recorded and saved for posterity.

High cost and low interest.

Last edited:
Bart B,
What's a decent barrel? What's the best way to install it?

Does the action matter? Smallest series of several 10-shot groups at 600 yards I know of were shot with a Winchester 70 control feed action based rifle with a 26 inch 1:11 twist Hart barrel, .7 to 1.5 inch groups.

When I installed barrels I liked, Hart, McMillian and a few others. I always trued the action. Still have my tooling for Remington 700 series, M1 Garand and M 14. On a bolt gun with the action trued a I lapped the bolt face and bolt logs.

While amusing none of this has anything to do with the thread title or questions regarding case capacity or case volumes. Why is that?

Ron

Back