Rifle cartridges in handguns......

I have an Encore pistol, with both 10" unported 44 mag and 14" ported 308 Winchester barrels. Shooting heavily loaded 300 grain bullets in the 44 and standard 50K loads with 165s in the ported 308, the recoil is very similar. I shoot a lot of heavy bullet big bore handguns, so am not very recoil sensitive, but because of the weight, neither of these have bad recoil. Not to compare with a Ruger single action shooting 345s at 1200 fps.

Calculated recoil doesn't necessarily reflect perceived recoil. Gun design, ergonomics, and muzzle blast greatly affect perceived recoil, but those factors are ignored in recoil calculations.

Maybe not, but it is relative. Despite the "Gun design, ergonomics, and muzzle blast", the greater the calculated recoil, the greater the perceived recoil in said firearm. Kinda the idea behind recoil pads and rubber handgun grips.

I have a 10" contender barrel in 30-30 that was with my used contender when I bought it over 30 years ago. I used it in silhouette until I got a 7 TCU. Recoil never seemed excessive with the 30-30 but getting a good, accurate load in the 10" barrel did take some time.

30-30 is a breeze compared to 44 Rem mag in the Contender

I had a 10" Contender 44 Mag - could not believe the amount of felt recoil , PAINFUL would be the best way to describe it. I was wondering why the seller was so willing to trade for my 22lr barrel.

I don't have any Contenders any more. Looking at the prices of frames at gun shows now makes me really sorry I ever sold them. But the worst one I ever shot was a 10" 357 Herrett. I loaded up some near max loads with 158 JSP's, fired about 10 rounds trying to zero in the optic. The concussion left me feeling like someone punched me in the head 10 times. The barrel, ammo and dies were trade goods at the next show.

Back