Rifle Barrels

I think that's likely correct. Just looking at benchrest records in the U.S., one would be stymied to find better accuracy than all the American-made, one-holers that exist. But for collecting value, I'm sure many folks asking for restoration will want originals. I just don't have a sense of what that does for resale value since it isn't the factory original barrel, even if the origin is correct.

Skwib - the timeline sounds like it would be an A3 model.

If it is a Monte-Carlo style stock (looks like a traditional hunting rifle) with a camouflage "smear" it's an A1.

Olive drab squared-off style stock with sling flush cups is an A3. If it has the NVG bridge at the front (the cuts will look kind of like a 6-fingered claw) you could make it an A3 or an A5 depending on your taste.

Schneider is the "correct" way to go on the A3 and A5 models if you're looking for a clone, and I can say from experience you won't be disappointed by the accuracy if you get a good smith to cut it. 0.5 MOA 5-shot groups were an everyday occurrence with good factory ammo (usually FGMM).

I shoot a trued ( blueprinted ) Rem. 700 in 308 . When the rifle needed a new barrel Accurate Ordinance did the work . They installed a Rock Creek M24 5R 11:27 twist , I'm getting .5 10 shot groups at 200 yards with almost 4000 through the barrel . Most of the well known makers turn out accurate barrels , it's the luck of the draw when you get a tack driver .

Chris

Part of the answer to the cost vs quality is another question. Where is the additional cost going?

If it goes to a business plan based on a higher margin of profit,that does not necessarily provide higher quality.

Its possible (but not necessarily true) that WW2 technology might be slower or generate more scrap than modern CNC equiptment. Time is money. A less efficient process might add cost without necessarily increasing quality.

Yet some of the older ,or more artisan based processes trade time and skill (cost) for benefits in quality.

A hammer forged barrel might meet the needs of the customer while being less expensive than higher quality steel,extra stress relief or cryo processes,a slower process(such as cur rifling) costs more time. It might result ina more stress free barrel than button rifling.

Hand lapping can produce an excellent barrel. At a cost. Not all barrels are hand lapped. Some non-lapped barrels may shoot good.

I'll agree,some barrels will likely shoot better than other barrels...

For sure,the targets tell a lot of the story.

But part of it is how the transaction "feels" to the guy spending the dollar.

For some,it will be a Krieger or Lilja. For some,a $35 gun show takeoff barrel is an adventure...especially if a little firelapping makes it a shooter.

It can come down to how you feel about what you got for your dollar.

Every shooter,like every rifle,is different

Back