Rifle Barrels

Poconolg

How would everyone out there rate these barrels for accuracy

Lilja
Douglas
Krieger
Bartlein

I am considering my next barrel. I shoot 22-250 currently with my second Lilja barrel. The first one shot better. At 100 yds I was always below 1/2". The current one only below 1/2" half the time. The rifle is a Rem 700 with a Jewel trigger. Case prep and ammo has been the same. Current barrel is 26" long 1-14 twist. Leaning towards Douglas. I would like some opinions. Thanks for any

If your using a sporter contour then Douglas is great, but if I were to use a heavier barrel for longer range, the Bartlein barrels are hard to beat.

I believe Krieger currently holds the smallest group record for 100 yards. I know that doesn't mean everyone is like that, but you don't set world records with crap equipment.

Any one of those barrels would be a fine barrel. I prefer Lilja when I build for customers, but Bartlein, Krieger and Douglas make very good barrels as well. Most of the top tier barrel makers turn out excellent products that are very close in quality. Prices are also very similar.

I don't know much, my only after market barrels are a Pac Nor which is good and a Krieger which is excellent.
My Long Range friend is now using Bartlein.

Don't think you(or anybody else) would be able to tell the difference given just the barrel. There's a great deal more involved. A lot depends on what you're doing with it too. Question is, Why are you frequently changing barrels?
Anyway, I knew a guy, years ago, who built a custom 17.5 pound, .300 Win Mag, on a Win M70 action, using a Douglas Premium SS barrel. He regularly won 1,000 yard "any rifle any sight" DCRA(Dominion of Canada Rifle Association) matches with it. Mind you, in those days, there was Douglas and nobody else.

If I were you, and I’m not....I would buy
Kreiger
Bartlein
Lilja
Douglas

In that order. I prefer cut rifling and match winning results...

That said, there are probably 20 barrel makers that could extract best accuracy from your 22-250. I would pick a bullet I wanted to shoot and set my twist & throat based on that. Maybe 75gr slugs with a 1:9 twist?

It would depend...
Do you want cut rifling, or is button ok?

Douglas is going to be by far your cheapest one of the bunch, and right now they are saying 2 week turn around.

I for the most part am building hunting rifles, but i am planning a custom range rifle soon.
I'm going to use my same barrel maker for that build also.
E.R. Shaw.
Local to me in PA. (just below Pittsburgh)
Accuracy is quite good with the ones i've gotten thus far, along with appearance.
The bad is 8-12 week turn around times.

How would everyone out there rate these barrels for accuracy

Lilja
Douglas
Krieger
Bartlein

I am considering my next barrel. I shoot 22-250 currently with my second Lilja barrel. The first one shot better. At 100 yds I was always below 1/2". The current one only below 1/2" half the time. The rifle is a Rem 700 with a Jewel trigger. Case prep and ammo has been the same. Current barrel is 26" long 1-14 twist. Leaning towards Douglas. I would like some opinions. Thanks for any
Douglas should not be in the discussion. The other 3 are equals of each other.
I assume the action is blue printed?

I agree.
Knock Douglas down a peg or two, and the others are all good.
Which I would recommend going with just depends on what you want and when you want it.

E.R. Shaw.
There's always someone that has to throw a tomato stake into a discussion about fine shootin' iron. ;)

That would be me... :D

Hey, i like to be different!
As i've said before, for my hunting profile barrels, they are more accurate than i am.
Their bluing is beautifully done.

Planning a 7mm WSSM, hopefully 30" for range use. Just to be me.. ;)

Whatever you choose, be sure its groove diameter is at least .0004" less than your bullet diameter. If best accuracy is most important.

I have a match grade Shilen on my 6.5x06, it shoot's very small group's with 140gr SMK bullet's. My 6.5x55 is a Mod 70 Win with a factory barrel. It doesn't shoot like my 6.5x06 but it does go well under an inch! Have a Mossberg Patriot in 243 with a Mossberg barrel. Shoot's 70 SMK's almost but not quite as good as the 6.5x06 shoot's 140gr SMK's. I don't recall what the Shilen barrel cost me but installed on my 700 action and in my original 700 stock I have about $600 in it. My Patriot cost me right at $350 for the complete rifle!

I am in the middle of 2 custom builds right now....

The first is a Savage 12, 300 WSM long range tactical rifle in chassis with a premium trigger. It is getting a Rock Creek....premium cut rifled barrel. I want consistency at around 0.5moa.

The second is an M70 action 30-06 type round in a McMillan or B&C stock....it will likely get a McGowen or Shilen barrel. I would like to see consistency at around 0.75moa.

Obviously better is better, but those are my expectations and I think they are reasonable for my builds.

That would be me... :D

Hey, i like to be different!
As i've said before, for my hunting profile barrels, they are more accurate than i am.
Their bluing is beautifully done.

Planning a 7mm WSSM, hopefully 30" for range use. Just to be me.. ;)
If you build a 30" 7 WSSM, you are truly an oddball.:D:rolleyes:

Back