rifle advice

223 is the chuck round. I am unsure what you are looking for with a bolt gun. Inside 300 yards the Colt Match should perform about the same. You might want to change optics but it will get the job done.

this would be 95% target shooting with possibly a 5% chuck hunting. Prefer a bolt action, I do reload. The range is 50 to 300 yds because that is what our club has. Benchrest shooting. Up til now I have been shooting a Colt match target AR and a savage 99c. I would like to move to a bolt action. A scope also.

That would settle it for me. 243 Win, chose your rifle. I'm pretty sure I'd do a 700 with wood stock and blue barrel.

Forgot the scope. I'm an old guy and I think you can get a good scope for at or under $300. About all that would really interest me would be 3-9x. Doesn't sound like you do a lot of carrying with this rifle so maybe something like my 4 1/2-14x Nikon, around $300. That much power I'd up it to $500 or less. I shoot 70gr SMK in one 243 and the other get 75gr V-Max. Both hang in around 1/2" @ 100yds. I think they would do better if I worked with them more! One is a Rem 700ADL the other is a Mossberg Patriot. Both with wood stocks anf black barrel's. Don't know what the stuff on the barrel's is but it's not blue and it works for me.

Last edited:
I like Sierra bullets. Many and many a sub-MOA group and many and many a bang-flop--be it Bambi, prairie dog, coyote, feral cat or jackrabbit.

In .223, my choice is the 55-grain HPBT GameKing. Sighted in for zero at 200, about five inches of holdover worked fine for prairie dogs at a lasered 300 yards. 9X on the scope.

Dunno what to say about a rifle. All of mine are last-century--but they still work just fine. :D

I bought a slightly used Leupold vari-x III 4.5-14 x 40 scope from a guy at our club for $200 so I think I am set for a scope. Still need a rifle. What about a Savage 25 with thumb hole laminated stock in 223 ?

I bought a slightly used Leupold vari-x III 4.5-14 x 40 scope from a guy at our club for $200 so I think I am set for a scope. Still need a rifle. What about a Savage 25 with thumb hole laminated stock in 223 ?
Go for it...

will the savage 25-T with 14 twist barrel shoot accurately with 55 gr bullets ?
For a 223 varmint & target rifle? I would venture to say...yes, but I prefer a 1 in 9 twist for a good overall range of bullet weights in 223 caliber. That's what my Savage Model 12 single shot in 223, is equipped with.

Back