Rifle Advice - where to go up from .308

I've found the heavier bullets in the larger calibers don't expand as rapidly on lighter game and excessive meat damage isn't an issue. The bullet jackets are either thicker or harder to control expansion.

In fact, I'm considering my using my .338 as an all around big game rifle.
Just a thought. . . . . .

Roadrunner: You'll be wasting, or rather misallocating, your gun dollars if you get a .30-06 in addition to your .308, imo. The .308 was designed to duplicate the performance of the '06 in a short action case, iirc. The performance of the two is so close that they nearly duplicate each other.

I like the idea of the .300WSM... better long range performance, in a short action caliber that doesn't need a 26" barrel (the Browning A-bolt has a 23").

.35 Whelen: This is one that I'm not familiar with, until just reading two very solid recommendations of it by experienced hunters. Especially if you hunt in thick woods and shorter ranges (up to 200 yds +- ?), it seems like an excellent choice for deer, elk, or even moose, with less recoil than the .300 Ultra, or the .338. Not as flat shooting of course, but great for timber. I've read enough great things about the .375 H&H that it seems like a good choice, too (though much stouter and maybe 3 notches up), if you're looking for a heavy rifle that could do duty for bear or other dangerous game.

Oh, the choices we have to make ;) Of course, there's still no substitute for putting the bullet (a well-chosen one at that) where it needs to go. I'm gonna spend more time practicing this year for sure.

I've been wondering the same thing lately. I've been shooting 30/06 and recently fired a 50BMG for the first time. I hung out with a guy who was shooting a .338 Lapua and from what I've read and what I've seen at the rifle range thats the next caliber to jump up to. Everything in the 300's is a baby step up. The .338 Lapua is a hop up;)

Well guys it's already been said but if you want more kill go with a bigger diameter bullet. Velocity won't help you much on large animals. So if I were stepping up from a .308 I'd definatley go with a .338 or a .375. As far as the .338 goes it carries energy down range very well and is reasonably flat. I prefer the .375H&H but that is a personal thing. It really won't do anything that .338 won't.

Back