Revolvers

I'm partial to S&W, my favorite is a nice K frame preferably in .357 mag. I have quite a few in the safe.

I'd still like to own a model 10 but like the model 19 and 66 more. I too was against nickel plating till I owned one. They're great, better then any blueing. All you have to watch out for is ammonia which will eat the nickel.

Never owned a Ruger revolver and probably never will, not while S&W is still in business.

Have even owned some of the newer ones and have no complaints with them, all were decent shooters. Not a fan of the L frame though, I prefer the K frame, it fits my hand like a glove.

Kyguy1, have you ever known a gunshop to offer what a gun is worth? They will do anything they can to get the price down.

Around here used K frames are still selling for $700 in a gunshop.

I totally understand why gun shops offer such lowball offers. They have to make a profit..Therefore, as I stated, that's why I think the thing about Smiths having this astronomical resale value isn't quite true. I had a very nice nickel plated Model 19, which had barely been fired, and the best I could get was 325 when I sold it. Of course, they would sell it for like 625 so I get it, but therefore I didn't see the huge resale value of Smiths. Maybe online? Or private sale? Definitely not at gun shops..but they still will sell better than any other revolvers except maybe old Colts. I love old Smiths as much as anyone but I would never pay much more than 500 bucks for one no matter how nice it was. I learned a good lesson though out of selling the Model 19..never ever sell a nice gun to a gunshop unless you are getting a good trade out of it.

Smith and Wesson is a great company, my dad grew up in their heyday, and he to this day thinks they are the best guns period. He wouldn't even cross the street to buy a Ruger he says. Smith is the only game in town as far as dad's concerned lol. He thinks the best gun he ever owned was a Smith .38 special. He's constantly telling me, over any gun out there, he'd still pick that one. There is something special about the older ones, the feel is just different, hard to explain. Even the nicest new Ruger SA's as much as I love them can't compare to a beautiful older Smith.

The best deal you will get in a gun shop is about 1/2 of what they can sell it for.

As far as buying used guns goes, Gunbroker is your best friend.

"I think all revolver quality has dropped across the board."

I just bought another Ruger pistol, (a NSBH) and it shoots and functions flawlessly just like every Ruger I've owned over the last 45 years. If Ruger quality is slipping they're keeping it a secret.

If you don't want a 38/357, then keep an eye out for a Smith & Wesson 24-3 in 44 Special. They didn't make them for but a few years, so they don't grow on trees. I prefer the 4" one.

Howdy

As has been stated, a dealer can only offer you about half of what he thinks he can sell a gun for. That is a simple fact of life. He has to pay rent, heat, electricity, and make a profit.

The reason not many want to buy a used revolver is because so many young shooters are only interested in the latest high capacity plastic wonder guns. Trust me, there are plenty of shooters out there who place high value on quality used revolvers, but the average seller is not going to be able to reach them.

"...so you are referring to the Blackhawk or the Vaquero as being the better of the two?"

The Vaquero is a little smaller and has fixed sights.

The Blackhawk is therefore a little larger and has adjustable sights.

The Super Blackhawk is a slightly larger Blackhawk in 44 magnum and maybe some other big calibers.

I have lots of handguns. My Blackhawks are my favorites for all-around shooting. The 357 version can be had with a spare cylinder that shoots 9mm. The 45 Colt version can be had with a spare cylinder that shoots 45acp.

I don't have the 9mm cylinder for my 357, but I have the 45cp cylinder for my 45 Colt. It is every bit as accurate with the 45acp, which is much cheaper and easier to find.

Just to inject heresy into the conversation... I own Colt, S&W, Ruger, Sig, Beretta, CZ, etc. My preferred HD handgun is an excellent Taurus Model 66 variant made in 1990. I have had several Taurii made from about 88-90 with very good triggers that have served me well.

(Waiting for the screams of outrage!) :)

Ruger is a great company and they make amazing single actions I've had my eye on a 45lc vaquero for awhile now.Beautiful gun.

My holy grail would be finding a good deal on a Smith 44 magnum model 29 someday. Short of that, I'd love to find a nice prelock 44 special Smith. Huge fan of the 44 special round. Gunbroker has some great deals but I can't buy a gun without looking at it in person. Just can't.

Currently I'm looking at a nice combat magnum .38, a Model 10-5, and even an older model 33 in 38 s&w. All nice, haven't looked at any in person yet, as they are all fairly far from me.

Ruger is a great company and they make amazing single actions I've had my eye on a 45lc vaquero for awhile now.Beautiful gun.

My holy grail would be finding a good deal on a Smith 44 magnum model 29 someday. Short of that, I'd love to find a nice prelock 44 special Smith. Huge fan of the 44 special round. Gunbroker has some great deals but I can't buy a gun without looking at it in person. Just can't.

Currently I'm looking at a nice combat magnum .38, a Model 10-5, and even an older model 33 in 38 s&w. All nice, haven't looked at any in person yet, as they are all fairly far from me.

Good fortune is unintentionally finding a nice gun for an irresistible price, but seeking out something specific should be about finding a nice gun rather than a deal to brag about. The nicer ones generally cost more, and fairly so.

Currently I'm looking at a nice combat magnum .38, a Model 10-5, and even an older model 33 in 38 s&w.

Howdy Again

You are mixing up your terms a bit. The Model 19 is the original Combat Magnum. Chambered for the 357 Magnum cartridge. Although it can fire 38 Special cartridges, there is no such thing as a combat magnum 38. I'm sure you realize a Model 10 is a 38 Special revolver, not a magnum. And the Model 33 is the successor to the I frame, later J frame, 38 S&W Regulation Police. Considerably smaller than a K frame Model 10, the regulation police was a five shot revolver when chambered for 38 S&W.

This photo shows the size difference between a Regulation Police and a K frame 38 caliber S&W revolver. The revolver at the top is a 38 Military and Police, the predecessor to the Model 10. Same size and same design. This Regulation Police is a 32 caliber model, but externally, other than the number of flutes on the cylinder, it is identical to a 38 Regulation Police. This is the old I frame, the J frame Model 33 will look slightly different in the area of the trigger guard, but it is basically the same size.

MP%20and%2032%20HE%203rd%20Model_zpsxh1cxgrq.jpg

Frankly, you will be better off looking for a revolver that is chambered in 38 Special, such as the Model 10, or the Model 19 which can fire 38 Special. Although 38 S&W is still manufactured, it is not as easily available as the ubiquitous 38 Special.

Last edited:

Howdy Yet Again

Good luck finding a 44 Special S&W. They are not falling out of trees. I looked for a Model 24, the classic 44 Special S&W for years, never did find one. I stopped looking when I came across a 44 Hand Ejector 4th Model, the predecessor to the Model 24. If I were to come across a Model 24 today, I would probably grab it, but I am not actively looking right now.

This 44 HE 4th Model Target left the factory in 1955.

44handejector4thmodel02.jpg

Might as well go through all the 44 Hand Ejectors while I'm at it. This is the grand daddy of them all, a 44 Hand Ejector 1st Model, also known as the New Century, and affectionately known to collectors as the Triple Lock. First offered in 1908 for the brand new 44 Special cartridge.

This one left the factory in 1915.

triplelocknickel05_zps00475b76.jpg

Then came the 44 HE 2nd Model. The third latch was gone and so was the big underbarrel ejector housing.

This one left the factory in 1921.

44handejectornumber202_zps4b43d341.jpg

In 1926 S&W answered the call of Texas dealer Wolf & Klar and put an ejector housing back under the barrel of the 44 HE 3rd Model. The 3rd latch was gone forever, but the ejector housing has been retained in many magnum models up to today.

This very worn HE 3rd Model saw service in WWII. It left the factory in 1929.

IMG_0099%20cropped_zpsflrqbao0.jpg

Frankly, you are much more likely to come across a nice used Model 29 than any of the 44 Special models. I used to see Model 29s in shop windows all the time, usually with a half a box of 44 Magnum ammunition. It only took half a box for a lot of guys to decide they wanted no part of a 44 Mag revolver.

And yes, I NEVER buy a used firearm I have not inspected personally.

Get a S&W69 ... 5-shot 4-1/4" L-Frame .44mag. I carry one every day, from pajamas-off until pajamas-on. It has full-time replaced my 10mm Kimber Eclipse as primary. Put the X500 rubber grips on it ... that allows full-spec Underwoods to be shot without pain in a 37oz gun. With that combination, it's an engineering marvel ... it wins the functionality contest hands-down. Save the "looks considerations" for 1911's.

Another interesting choice is Ruger's recently introduced GP100 5 shot .44 Special with adjustable sights. I don't care much for the big rubber grips, but the smaller "old style" rubber grips with wood inserts would make it more concealable:

http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1761.html

1761.jpg

Altamont makes a nice smaller replacement grip with checkered wood inserts for about the same price as Ruger's offerings:

RG-TO50-CP05-SSK.jpg

Last edited:
For concealed carry the Vaquero is definitely the best option. You will need to change your dress code though, (a slicker perhaps?):D

I do have to ask what do you carry currently?

I personally wouldn't carry a normal Vaquero for concealed carry. Too big, and weighs a lot. Larger guns tend to be left at home/in the vehicle.

If you look, there are a few Talo options with 3.75" barrels. They have blue and stainless in either .45 ACP or .45 Colt (no convertibles), then a stainless in .44 Magnum. If I had to choose a Vaquero for carry, I'd pick one of those... but very hesitantly.

My off duty/back up revolver is a S&W 642-1, converted to 9mm. While a short barrel requires time to get proficient with, an Airweight is a gun that there really isn't an excuse not to carry... unless you are a nudist.

will keep in car when out on the farm or on a road trip

Then get something you won't mind having stolen. A handgun is best kept on your body, even at home. Perhaps the barrel lengths on both those Model 10s are a poor fit. A 4" would cover all of your bases.

Depending on a 30 Carbine is kinda out there for someone who doesn't reload and has no other, more conventional revolver. It sounds like you will have to get that out of your system, but it will be another gun that you either set aside or sell unless stubbornly devoted to 30 Carbine, which you remember as a rifle.

I would get that longer Model 10 and not look back. Rebluing is neither essential nor that big a deal to do. Target grips should be right where you want to be, and barrel length will be great at the range.

Back