Revolvers

kyguy1

I recently came into a little money and moved to a new city that's a lot more gun friendly with several ranges available for me to go shoot at. I've also been saving a little to get myself another revolver that I can shoot with and also use for a good home defense weapon if need be. I love revolvers. But I am having trouble deciding which one I want. I like different ones for different reasons. Here's a few I'm looking at.. I really like S&W, a gun shop near by has a decent Model 10 from the 1980s, nickel-plated, under 500. But I'm leery of nickel guns they are hard to keep up finish wise it seems. Another guy called me with a nice Model 10 2.5", blued, and I would have jumped at it, but I don't like snubbies all that much. That same guy also has a nice Colt Police Positive, blued, in pretty good shape at a good price. But wondering if I could find parts for it if need be..So those are the used ones...If I buy new, I really like the Ruger Blackhawk 30 Carbine, I had a rifle in that cartridge once. And I love the stainless Vaquero in 45LC too. Hard to make a decision, I only want to buy one for right now, and having trouble making up my mind as I always do with guns. Which should I get?

Do you want to carry it too? or just home defense / range?
Are your above mentioned guns the only ones to choose from or open to suggestion?

The sad fact is the hayday of the revolver has come and gone.

Smith use to make some really sweet revolvers but I think all revolver quality has dropped across the board.

With that said I'd recommend the Ruger GP100, I do not know what current production is like but it use to be a very well put together gun, very beefy (overbuilt)

Out of the guns you picked from above though I'd go for the older model 10, although more then "I" would wanna pay for it.

I'm with Joe. A ruger GP-100 is still affordable and a gun you will never wear out. I used to have a shelf full of trophies I won with a 6" GP-100 shooting falling plate matches. Nothing wrong with a good S&W K frame with adjustable sights if you can find an affordable gun for sale. How much do you have to spend?

S&W makes some fine revolvers but at the risk of turning this into a Ruger love fest I'll agree with JoeSixpack and Ratshooter about the Ruger GP100.

THIS is the one that currently tickles my fancy.
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/gp100MatchChampion/models.html

The Ruger .357 magnum Match Champion with adjustable sights. It IS a little costly but since it will last (virtually) forever, the cost per month is (virtually) zero. So there's that.

The .357 magnum is an incredibly versatile cartridge with bullets from 125 grain to 158 grain commonly available and with a just a little bit of effort you can get 110 grain bullets and 180 grain bullets. Also, of course, you can shoot .38 Specials from it too. I know you all know this but I'm restating it for new folk and just to bolster my own prejudices. :p

I like the action of the S&W and carried one for most of my life. Albiet Rugers are great to and carried one for about 5 years. Weight of the indestructible Ruger is a consideration. But hard to beat a good ole S&W. I do cary a light J frame or heavy N frame on occasion, but preffer the mid size K frame.

I have many revolvers (from dedicated Bullseye guns to compact ccw snub-noses) and like them all. But if I could only keep one for use for just about everything, it would be the Model 686 Plus L-frame, chambered in .357 Magnum with a 4" barrel.

I will carry it some of the time, but mainly will keep in car when out on the farm or on a road trip. I love Smiths, but only the pre-lock ones. Not the new ones. Rugers I like too, but haven't ever owned one. I don't like the GP100 or the SP101, can't get past the paltry tang grips on them. I think revolvers should have full grips. And I hate guns with rubber grips. I'm a traditionalist. Just not a fan of that at all. I really do like some of the Ruger SA though, like the Blackhawk 30 carbine or the 357 or maybe Vaquero. I'm looking at spending around 3-650 range depending on the gun. A local pawnshop has a nice Model 10 but it's a snubbie and I just don't care for those. They also have a 6-inch,but it has finish wear on it so I'd have to have it re-blued at some point. Still torn..do I go for a new Ruger or a used Smith

And I hate guns with rubber grips.

Grips on most revolvers are as easy to change as tires on a car. Don't let the kind of grip a revolver comes with dissuade you from choosing it if everything else is something you want.

Ruger or Smith = Brunette or Redhead.

Bothe have their merits, I was in this boat not long ago, torn between a smith L frame or another gp100. I knew I had to pick one so I went for a smith.

Personally Id avoid the 30 carbine model, Ive heard its pretty hard on the shooter, heavy blast and concussion.

My first choice off your list would be the mod 10.

Good luck in your search.

I would choose almost anything in a 45 Colt. Remember: almost anything.

Double action, of course.

I am thinking Ruger as in Redhawk.

If you don't reload, you should get a 357, which will also shoot 38 Special ammo. If you were me, you would get a Vaquero or Blackhawk in 45 Colt. But you are not me, so I can't be sure that would be the best advice for you. Also, the New Vaquero in 357 could hardly be a mistake.

Of the used firearms you mentioned, I'd go for one or both of the two model tens. I would probably favor the 2 1/2 in but that's just me.

Personally, while all the revolvers mentioned are good, I don't think a person can go wrong with a S & W M & P/Model 10. There are plenty out there if you look and either one with a 4" or 5" barrel in 38 Special would allow you the choice of SA or DA. I have several K frames - 4", 5" and 6" and all are excellent, vintage revolvers that shoot very well and are very dependable. IMHO

Another thing for you to consider is ammo. If you are looking at a 45 LC Vaquero - which is a good handgun or a BH, etc. - consider your ammo costs. I cast and reload so I don't worry about the cost of store bought ammo whereto it's 38 special, 357, 45 Colt, etc. But . . . while the 45 Colt is a great cartridge and handgun, the ammo is not cheap if you have to buy store bought. 38 special isle one of the most common cartridges and fairly inexpensive as far as cost goes for WC loads for range practice, etc.

Good luck and enjoy!

I am not sure of your concern about a nickel finish and keeping it looking good. A little Mother's Mag or Billet makes it easy to look great, and a coat of Renaissance wax will help preserve the look. If the current finish is in good shape, it is a more desirable feature and adds 10 to 15% in value.

You will want to insure it is a factory nickel finish. To do so is simply to look for a large "N" stamped under the flat of the barrel when you open the yoke and also on the frame under the right grip/stock.

I have several Model 10's and one is a 10-5 in a factory nickel finish. It is a beauty revolver and easy to keep looking beautiful.

I would also recommend either a S&W Model 66 or the slightly larger Model 686 if you want step up to the .357 Magnum.

If you can swing it I would shoot for a good used 357. The other calibers you listed are great rounds and are even better if you reload, if not then they get expensive (30 carbine, 45Colt) but a gun that can shoot 357 & 38 out of the same gun is great and cost effective for getting more range time. Good luck with your decision, no need to rush. If the pawn shop your looking at does not have a gun that meets all your requirements then wait, part of the fun is the hunt.

If it's not a daily carry gun, the GP100 will do most everything you need to do and last forever. (There's wood stocks for every pistol made...I don't think that should be your decision point)

The Model 10 is a great choice and there's, literally, thousands of them available in a variety of barrel lengths. You'll see police trade-ins and used Smiths at gun stores and online all the time.

You mention considering a wide variety of revolvers from snub 38s to SA 45s. All are fine but intended for different uses. If all you want is something to bang around with for fun any will work. Any specific purpose will require narrowing down your choices a bit.

I have not seen a 2.5" M10.

Nickel is not THAT hard to maintain. The 357 pictured below is 67 years old and has been used a lot.

standard.jpg

I'm so indecisive with gun purchases. Partly because I have in past bought too soon and regretted. Yea I am partial to Smiths. Local gunshop has a nice 10-5 2.5" but my only hesitation with that is the short barrel. I prefer fuller size guns usually. Online pawn vendor has one in less nice shape, needs some re-bluing, but with a 6" barrel. Overall looks good just needs some refinishing. A little hesitant buying a gun strictly online though. Both of those are blued.

Only reason I'd kind of like a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 Carbine because I had a rifle in that cartridge once and had to sell it due to tight financial circumstances at the time which I have always deeply regretted. And to find a revolver in 30 carbine just seems really neat to me. But I don't reload and so that might be an issue for it.

So, I guess I'll think it over and maybe go with one of the used Model 10's, or maybe a Blackhawk in 45 lc. But my mind could change again haha.

I'm not a Ruger fan...mostly because I prefer the triggers on the S&W....

I 2nd the idea of looking around for a model 66 ( K) or 686 (L frame) -- both stainless in .357 mag over any .38 spl ...and shoot .38's in it if you want..../ in most areas it shouldn't be hard to find a 4" or a 6"...and keep your eyes open for a model 28 (N frame ) 4" the old Highway Patrolman model....holster wear, on a budget, can allow you to find a very serviceable gun out there...

Nickel is easy to take care of if has no dents or chips....Flitz wax makes it easy to clean and protect...and they show very little holster wear if they're taken care of...

If you're really going to carry this gun I would stay with a 4" over a 6" ...

See if you can find a Ruger Blackhawk convertible. I have two of the Flat-tops, in 9mm/.357 and in .45 colt/.45 auto. Two guns for the price of one in each model. Both are very accurate, and there's just something about a single action revolver that I really like. The only thing I really don't care for is the plow handle grip. Soon as Altamont makes grips for the flat-top I will have a new set of grips for each of them.

Back