Revolvers for CCW

For most purposes, I believe that revolvers are obsolete. One exception: use of powerful revolver rounds for hunting. I am aware of all of the advantages and disadvantages of revolvers and believe that on balance an auto is a better choice for self-defence, police and military use, home defence, etc.

I like revolvers and own three. I do think that the titanium Taurus 357, model 617, is a handy revolver for CCW. It weighs only 20 oz., is compact, has a full-size grip, and holds 7 rounds of either magnum or 38 special.

I think ta better choice for CCW is a compact double/single action auto (such as Ruger P95), or a small, light DAO (such as Kel-Tec P32 or P11).

Drakejake

Prefer revolvers for day-to-day defensive weapons as you might have guessed. Normally carry a j-frame of some sort most all the time.

S&W K-frames, or L-frames (or equivalent Ruger/Taurus/Colt) with up to 4" barrels are quite easy to conceal with the right holsters and a little attention to clothing. Carried a 4" 686 RB under an untucked polo shirt many times, and a couple of times in a belly band under a tucked-in dress shirt.

Never tried an n-frame, but with my new/old 625 I just might. For those that carry n-frames, what sort of holster do you normally use? Shoulder? Hip?

I carry my N frames in a high ride pancake belt holster...hides a 4" N frame under light covering garment quite nicely.

The revolver has some significant advantages over the semi-auto, most notably easy manual of arms, ammo independence, self-contained design (no mags to break, lose or accidentally drop), and the ability to "cycle" even when fired from a coat pocket. It's also easier to verify as loaded, rendered safe instantly by swinging out the cylinder, and has a very easy failure drill (pull the trigger again).

Downsides are lower capacity ( a non-issue in most self-defense scenarios), and the fact that a revolver stoppage, if it happens, is usually a gunsmith issue rather than an on-the-spot user fix.

I carry revolvers because I like them more and trust them more. Also shoot them better. There are a lot of variables as to what distance you will need to shoot from and whether or not you will use the sights.

The other day, I confronted three burglars who made their get-away in a car. When I first engaged them, they were at 15-20 yards. I went to isoselese and aimed at them from the greater distance and continued to cover them from that stance as they drove close by me. This is kind of funny since I do most of my recreational shooting from the one handed NRA stance. I have been more nervous shooting on a range with a hoard of uniformed troopers watching me than when evaluating the need to shoot these three. There was no tremor and no particular nervousness- just rapt attention to detect any threatening moves on their part.

The whole scene might have felt different if I had been surprised by them at close range and they had presented a more immediate threat.

I'm sure capacity is the predominant reason most people, law enforcement and civilian, have migrated from the revolver to the semiauto. I carry a 3" 5-shot SP101 on occasion but there's always that nagging doubt in the back of my mind whether 5 will be enough, even though I carry 3 speedloaders close at hand. And I'm always "relieved" when I get back to one of my autos. My worries are based on the fact that I've never been tested in a close encounter. Will I have the discipline to fire only as needed, or will I run the gun dry before I've resolved the problem? I love the feel of a powerful revolver in my hand and feel confident I can hit what I'm shooting at double-action at 7 yards or closer. I don't think I'm a "spray and pray" kind of guy but I don't know, so I generally like to have as many rounds as possible in my pistol. It's just that simple. If I knew I'd only be involved with 2 antagonists or less, no problem, I'd probably carry the SP101 more often. I sure wish I knew that.

Revolvergeek

I suggest a Don Hume combination to carry a N frame-CCW
A open bottom pancake style with thumbreak carried strong side.The part number is H717( that style can be used for any length barrel)
The other 'part' of the combination is his double thickness leather trouser belt with is designed to be used in conjuction with a real frame size revolver. Part #B109-L
www.donhume.com will get you a catalog
The combination keeps the gun close to your side and it will not 'roll' to one side after wearing it for a while. The only time I wear my N frame is when I have my pants on.
The thumbreak will be preferred by you after you take a roll and your gun comes out of it's holster because you choose the type which did not have a thumbreak strap to keep it attached to you as opposed to sliding across the street or whatever.
Carriing extra ammo for your N frame is just additional weight which you don't need.
If it makes you feel safer then stick a speedloader in your coat pocket.
Don Mallard

For protection

In my humble opinion- revolver-simple mechanics, 5-8 shots of 357, pull the trigger or cock the hammer and pull the trigger, bullets visible by simple inspection of the gun,if for some reason a cartridge fails pull the trigger again. If I have to arm myself in the middle of the night I don't want to have to think-is it loaded? is the safety on etc. I own several revolvers and pistols-my choice for most situations would be the revolver
Herb

Wheelguns don't stovepipe, fail to feed, or double feed. Revolvers will always be with us. Maybe they will never regain their past popularity, but there is something to be said for stone reliability.

My "always" gun is a NAA Guardian 380. Before that it was a Seecamp 32. But my primary "carry" gun, when I'm going somewhere where my safety is in doubt, I carry a wheelgun. Since 95 its been a S&W 640-1 in 357 mag. Before then 38 snubbies.

I like the idea that my gun WILL go bang each time that I pull its trigger without fail.

I love semi-auto's, but I still have a hard time converting to them exclusively.

I recently saw an ad for the S&W Heritage Series. One of the guns that is going to be reintroduced is the 22 LR Hand Ejector. Ther is no doubt that when I see it, I will buy it. It may be an old design, with small grips and a long barrel, but its is also one of the finest pistols I've ever had the pleasure to shoot. If I owned an original, I would never shoot it, but rather keep it in my safe. But a new one, well.....that's another thing.

I have a Glock 19 that I carry because it holds 17 in the mag and is one hundred percent reliable, so far. That being said I like revolvers and always will. A small snubby is easier to conceal in warm weather than the glock. I have bought three such guns to carry for that reason and have had mechanical problems with them all.

The last was a 7 shot 2 inch ported titanium taurus .357 that failed right out of the box. When you fire a magnum round in it, it shaves off part of the jacket and wedges it between the cylinder and the barrel, making it impossible to fire(locks up).

It has been sent back to the factory because the dealer said that was all he could do, rather than give me another one that works. I'll probably sell it if I have any kind of malfunction with it when I get it back. :mad:

I've carried both revolvers (GP100, SP101, S&W 649 to name a few) and semi-autos (Glock 17, Glock 27, Walther PPk, S&W 59 and 5906 for another few) and I like the semi-auto better for concealed carry.

My Baby Glock (model 27) holds more rounds, is lighter and is narrower than the revolvers. With the proper training and practice to ensure you can handle the occasional jams and misfires quickly, you can trust it as much as the revolver. With the revolver, you must also be concerned with the hammer snagging on your clothes when you draw it (unless you buy a hammerless or shrouded hammer model). Agaiin though, with enough practice, even that can become a non-issue.

When the shi*t hits the fan, you won't see your sights on a j frame like my 442...heck, I can barely see them when target shooting....but the practice of using your sights will help with muscle memory and allow you to bring the gun up where it should be under stress...the best way to practice and check this theory is to try a drill where you bring it up, fire then try it again with eyses closed..after a while they will be fairly close...and for a belly gun close is damn good....

My Two Cents Worth!

FWIW (or NOT) I started out carrying a Beretta 86 (.380 w/ tip-up barrell) but just *HAD* to get a G19. When I discovered I couln't RELIABLY control an auto at the 9mm power level, I chose to return to my original handgun (30 yrs ago) and go with a .38 revolver. FYI: Both hands, wrists & forearms are deformed. By God's good Grace I am able to do all I need to do - including handling a gun.

Anyway, back at the ranch. My choice of a revolver (and the Glock) is predicated on a couple of things.
1) It'll do the job if I do mine.
2) There are no "controls" to mess with. Point & click.
3) Perhaps with a couple of years of individualized training and/or specially modifying the tool for my particular purposes, I *MAY* overcome this little "limitation." Then the tool would be usesless for anyone else - *IF* it was reliable enough to sell with my conscience and integrity intact.
4) IMO, I do *NOT* have a year or two to train. Neither do I have the $$ for such an effort or modifications.

Therefore, I continue shooting with an IDPA group every Tuesday night and carry a Rossi K-frame daily.

I tried a Colt in J-frame & found it too light for recoil control. You guys *CONTROL* the weapon during recoil. In my case, I'm jes' hangin' on until it comes back down on target! hehe

That predicated my going to a .357 K-frame w/ a 4" bbl. It's a bit heavy for carry, but it's HEAVY enough to control recoil FOR me. Then, I carry .38 Spcl in it - HydraShok. I practice w/ 130 gr PMC.

Hey, it works for me!

I carry the Rossi in a CompTac IWB and one or two speed loaders in pouches - both on strong side. As I am VERY slow on the draw, I figure my best bet is to go for cover & then do what I can from there. Cover may allow me time to reload, if I survive the initial encounter.

I'm considering going back to the Beretta .380 for CCW ease and the two extra shots (7+1) I get with it. Some of us never learn!

It's late (2300) & I don't have to get up tomorrow until I'm ready.

Good night all and God bless ya'll............

Back