Revolvers for CCW

johnnyj

I'm not trying to start something. (I wonder how many arguments get started that way.)

But, why don't more people choose revolvers for CCW, other than lower capacity?

Also, who thinks they would actually use their sights in CCW useage? To me, a person would be so nervous and jumpy that sights would be not used. I don't want to hear about how training can fix that, I think if anyone were actually assaulted there would be some level of fright. I know, "I went to so and so gun school, so I would be cool as ice." I wouldn't be. Also at a range where a person could justifiably fire, would aiming be all that important? To me, if my life was in danger, that half a second it takes to get a proper sight picture, might be the last half second of my life.

If I'm wrong tell me.

I'm NOT starting a semi vs. revolver argument, but it will probably turn into that.

thanks

Beats me, but I carry a revolver almost exclusively now.

My 90% of the time carry gun is an S&W 042 loaded with Federal Nyclad in a pocket holster.

At other times I carry a 2.5" Model 19 loaded with 125-gr. Golden Sabres.

Occasionally I'll carry a Kahr K9.

When I carry a wheel gun, which isn't very often these days, I carry a Taurus M605 .357MAG. The gun I carry almost exclusivly is the Glock 36, which has only a two round advantage over the revolver. However, it is a .45 ;) !!!!!! I now subscribe to "A bigger hole going in is better" theory!!!!!:D

training will make no difference? I expect millions of military and law enforcement people are kicking themselves rather hard right now for all that wasted time and money, not to mention the rest of us who have to pay for it ourselves

The extra capicity of the muti-shot semi-autos make some handgunners 'feel' safer.........
I haven't 'changed' my carry handgun in 30+years.
It was the one I carried and used in the discharge of my duty.
The one I practiced with until I did not need to use the front sight for the first fast shot..............
I will honestly inform you at this time that if you place the first shot fast and accurately then you don't need 16 more to back the first one up!
I have/am amazed to hear the reasoning of handgunners who have never been in a quick and deadly shootout.
They speak of 'double-tapping' and so on------
The only way you will actually be a 'real' asset to yourself is to carry the gun which you shoot the most and are the best with.
I have 5 handguns
I carry my 6" Nframe 357 CCW now that I am retired.
I have enough ammo to kill six people without having to reload.
What are the odds that I will need more than six?
Do people actually think 17 rounds will make you safer and less likely to be killed by the other guy?
WOW!
You better shoot your powerful handgun enough that you don't need to use the sights for the first fast and accurate shot.
If a K frame 357 with 4" barrel is your best shot then go with it.
I was trained with the N frame and I have stuck with it.
I assure you that I am not even underarmed with my wheelgun!
Don Mallard

I carry a Rossi 462 .357 mag. with a 2" barrel. It's easy to handle and comfortable to carry. I don't have to worry about ammo feeding properly, just which shoots the best group. I'm shooting a 3" group at 30' in a modified Weaver stance. I shoot better with my 6" S&W 586, but carrying it concealed is nearly impossible.

In Michigan, we have to take a 12 hour NRA course to get a ccw permit, which includes 4 hours of range time. If you want an eye opener, put up a target and try hitting the upper torso with the gun at your hip, or swinging up and shooting. My 3" group goes not ony out the window, but leaves the county too.

In one exercise, we had to shoot from behind a barrier rapid fire into the target, switch to the opposite side of the barrier and repeat. Instinctively, EVERYONE shooting did not aim then pull the trigger. We all shot where we pointed the barrel instead of aiming. This is something that I'm realizing as I write this, that I'd better start practice shooting like I use a shotgun. That is, you don't aim a shotgun, you point it. I never see the bead on my shotgun when I shoot. I'd better do the same with my carry weapon.

Occassional Carry?

While I prefer a semi-auto for daily carry, I still do carry a
revolver on certain occassion's; mostly in summer dress
where an autoloader would be a bit too bulky. My little
vintage model S&W 60 rides pretty well, concealed under
light clothing.

Season's Greeting's,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

YOU'RE WRONG

Under stress most humans act EXACTLY how they've trained.
At anything more than "point" distance I ALWAYS use my sights (unless I make a mistake, but then I miss, and I 'try' to use my sights WHENEVER I pull the trigger -- yep, even at really really close targets).

Wheels are wider (cylinder) and this can impact concealability and/or comfort slightly. I (opinion here) think that TV and movies have 'taught' the uninformed that autos are the way to go (we call that 'conventional wisdom').

My "always" is a wheel, my wifes' "always" is a wheel, and when my oldest leaves the nest her "always" will be a wheel.......

I relied upon and carried a .45 Gov't for years. After the kids came along I wanted something that everyone in the household could operate with a mimimum of fuss, so the revolver was reintroduced to our home. By the way firearm safety was first and foremost taught to all. Now years later I do not regret the shift. In shooting IDPA I regularly see semi autos choke. No I will not argue this point as it is based on observed personal opinion. The revolver as I believe C.R. Sam mentioned is the superior defensive reactive weapon.

My standard CCW is a 3" S&W Model 60 with adjustable sights stoked with 130 gr. .357 Magnum, Federal "Personal Defense" ammo. Do civilians still carry those old fashion semiautos? :) Dennis

Because the cool guy in the "cop buddy movies" always has the latest semi while his plain looking, older partner has the revolver. (Mel and Danny, Sipowitz and_____). People love to imagine themselves snapping in the third clip while they take down a gang of 50. Presenting stats on what is really likely to happen out there (mostly nothing for most) won't pull them from their "I need 3 semis of .40 cal or better while I mow the lawn in Zerocrimerate, USA." IN CASE! (Think "Freddo"). Same with tactical courses. Unless your LEO, it is really about having fun and feeling cool and there is nothing wrong with that! But I would bet serious change that unless you are very use to dealing with a full load of adrenaline, that you or anyone short of a NAVY SEAL is unlikely to drop to that perfect stance and site picture when a BG is rushing from the distance that it almost invariably all goes down!

I carry a 342PD revolver with a few spare rounds. I seriously doubt that I will ever need even that! I play as above with my semi. I also admit that I am being partly tongue in cheek here and I don't mean to offend anyone but don't we all know people like that above? I mean, these guys carrying fully strapped in their own homes make me nervous or give me the giggles! (Think that DeNiro guy, "You talkin' to me)?! :D They are always the guys who "accidently" print for the pretty girls at parties! ;)

The gun doesn't matter nearly as much as your mental attitude! If you can't control your fear, then you'd be better without a weapon. If you think that you'll choke, then you WILL choke! If you are determined to be aggressive and not surrender your life without making someone pay dearly, then you'll probably be victorious! You've got to look that tiger in the eye and not blink! That said, I prefer a 19 or 686 with a 4 inch barrel and 125 gr. jacketed hollow points.

I have carried BOTH autoloaders and revolvers of ALL description over the years...from the TINY Beretta 21A...cute "sock" gun, BTW...to the fullsize Randall, Colt, SA and lately Kimber 1911A1...and from two-inch J's up to six-inch N's...for the last six or seven years, REGARDLESS of what else I might be packin', my "Always" gun has been a Smith 442...also find myself gradually going to somewhat SMALLER pieces as I get older...HHMMM...FWIW....mikey357

I carry both, a P-11 on my right hip and a Rossi M88 on my left. I practice left handed with the Rossi, I'm not sure I've even held it right handed in a year. But with all the cool titanium coming out, I've considered getting a pair for carry.

I carried a 3inch GP 100 for over 2 years. My Level1&2 handgun teacher put it in perspective. 60% of street crimes are committed by a single individual. 35% by a pair. So in the unlikely event that I become a street crime statistic, I have a 95% chance of facing only 1 or 2 criminals.

On using the sights:

I have never been in a gunfight, and hope to never be in one. I have, however been at the controls of aircraft that had major emergencies. (Ground emergencies, thankfully). I can tell you first hand that you do as you have drilled. If I only "knew" the corrective actions for these events instead of practiced and drilled them over and over, I would have been in a world of hurt. From that limited context, I am convinced that one who "drills" at using the sights will use them in a emergency. He will not even think about it. It will just happen, as if by design. Those who do not train will have no such ingrained reaction to the situation, and will take much longer.

Back