Revolvers chambered for semiauto cartridges.

Aquilia Blanca, I reiterate:

This article will examine what is known about a prototype revolver developed by pre-state defense organizations and the industrial group Ta’as in collaboration. This project started in the 1940s as an effort to design and produce a sidearm using the ubiquitous 9×19mm Parabellum cartridge. The proliferation of Sten guns throughout the region meant a sidearm of the same caliber would simplify logistics significantly for the Jewish underground. 9mm Parabellum was also readily produced in pre-state Israel (prior to 1948 in a covert operation that included the Ayalon Institute) so it was a logical choice in caliber.

Experimentation with a 9mm revolver began at the Smith and Wesson factory in 1943. These early prototypes were made on N frames and were likely nothing more than hand-fit prototypes.(1) This experimentation paid off when the Chinese Government requested S&W produce a

It seems there were Israelis before there was Israel.

Bob Wright

There were a bunch of little Belgian revolvers made for 25 acp made way before
WWI. Mostly folding trigger pocket guns, some with manual safeties.

There was also the Nico Werke 20 round 25 acp. 2 barrels, 2 rows of chambers in
cylinder. Around 1910

There were a bunch of little Belgian revolvers made for 25 acp made way before
WWI. Mostly folding trigger pocket guns, some with manual safeties.

There was also the Nico Werke 20 round 25 acp. 2 barrels, 2 rows of chambers in
cylinder. Around 1910

Again my original post was "for rimless cartridges."

Bob Wright

The 22RF seems to work in any action, revolver, semiauto pistol, bolt, semiauto rifle, lever action, slide, pump, you name it.

I also seem to remember Ruger offering for a short time a Speed-Six in 9mm. Story was it was a request from Israel for a police revolver that could use the 9mm ammo that was so common in that part of the world.

I heard a slightly different story about the Ruger Speed-Six 9mm. No idea if its true or not, but it is plausible. Story I heard was Ruger made them at French request, and then the French declined to purchase them. US interest at the time was essentially nil, and then Israel said "we'll take 'em!"

Story also says the French first approached S&W. Supposedly S&W said "sure, we can make them,..CASH UP FRONT!" At which point the French went to see Ruger.....

Probably just a story, I have no way of knowing, but I can easily believe it could have happened that way...

A few years back I picked up a Thunder Ranch S&W Model 22 in 45 ACP. With moon clips the guns near perfect and is very manageable in that revolver configuration. It's a lot of fun to shoot and would recommend to anyone looking to get a revolver in that caliber.

Post #28 above is spot on, 44Amp for the win.

I've owned more than a few Rugers that happened to have convertible cylinders. Since I was reloading hundreds of .45 acp target rounds, I thought that would be useful. Meh. It was much more fun to hand load .45 colt "artillery shell sized" brass with a nice easy cowboy load of Unique and take my time like a proper cowboy.

The 9mm cylinder never did get used, nor the .22 Mag cylinder... sold those guns off.

Now if I had the .32-20 cylinder for my .32 H&R Magnum single six I would be hard pressed to pick which I preferred! That's a rare Ruger and I wish I had that cylinder!!!

Not enough pictures in this thread

116af067286729a70ce0763833e19f55.jpg

591efb62d4446ed73c93f374366ddbfd.jpg

7d09db8c23ed530e70a743c7683a0315.jpg

Recoil on the LCR9mm only moderate at least for me. No where near a 357.About the same as 38 plus P. and you have a heavier revolver than the 38. Plus you do not get the flash and loud noise. The Ballistics are about the same are better than many Micro 9mm. I have reloaded with a lee factory crimp with on problems. I have been shooting the gun since it first came out and no problems. In fact one of my favorite guns to shoot. PS I do not use the Ruger moon clips. I buy in bulk from another source and they work much better and Hold up very well.

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2014/11/ruger-lcr-9mm-review-pocket-9mm-for.html

Here is a excellent review with Ballistics compared to other micro 9mm's

I've had two 9mm LCR's, at different times. Got rid of both. Not because I disliked them, but because I'd never carry them. If I HAD to EDC a revolver it would be a 9mm LCR, but they're just too big for me to carry. That, and the 5-round capacity, and the cumbersome reloading (compared to a magazine) made them impractical. They were easy to shoot, even with the little Bantam boot grip.

But the CM9 suits me much better from every angle, except customer service.

For some unknown reason I'd like to have a 9mm revolver. I was looking at revolver s on a gun site a couple months ago and this rock island 9mm just kind of jumped out at me. Of course that's happened many times before with many other guns but the rock island 9mm has just kind of stuck in my mind and won't go away.

As I said, I love the LCR 9mm but disagree with loading. I find the moon clips very easy to load. That said, I do carry a CM9 which I also love.(actually own 2 of them) Recently put night sights on one of them and a front night sight arrived today. (truglo)
I also seem to EDC the Smith 642 more than the LCR even though I prefer the ballistics of the 9mm. Lighter weight.

These are bright even in low light.
KJgKAiO.jpg
Use this loader for 642
GID64PB.jpg

Last edited:
I should have included the two parts of reloading: 1 unloading and reloading, and 2 the carrying of the extra ammo. I can carry (and retrieve) two extra mags easier than one loaded moon clip or speed loader.

Have several Ruger BH's with the 45 acp cylinder. Mostly the 45 acp cylinder is used for shooting rounds that were part of work up process for 45 acp 1911's. Also have a S&W 646 in 40 S&W, which was bought to use up all the 40 brass picked up in a completely supported chamber. Cheap at the time, now collectible.

But favorite revolver for semi auto rounds are the variations of the S&W 625/25. Started using them with 1/2 moon clips, but now prefer the AR cases, since starline started making them.

Would call the Ruger 45/45LC convertibles and 625/25 commercially successful, even if the the 625 is rumored out of production this year.

even if the the 625 is rumored out of production this year.

I have read that. Some say it is just in an obscure location on the www catalog.

But I would not be surprised, sales have to be off since USPSA obsoleted it by allowing 8 shot .38 Short Colt.

How many have been commercially succesful ? They seem to be one of those things that everybody says, why don't they make, they do-and they don't sell.

S&W have been producing revolvers for rimless carts on and off for over 100 years. Maybe it's my thinking, but that does indicate some level of success.

S&W have been producing revolvers for rimless carts on and off for over 100 years. Maybe it's my thinking, but that does indicate some level of success.

S&W has been producing revolvers for rimmed cartridges constantly for over 100 years. Not "on and off" like rimless ones. DA Revolvers for rimless rounds do have a level of success, but historically not enough commercial success to keep them in constant production.

Ruger's SA convertibles have a higher level of commercial success, in that sense, as they have been in constant production since their introduction.

I have two 9mm revolvers. One is more of a safe queen that only occasionally gets to the range, a SW 547 that doesn't need moonclips:

a46VX9E.jpg

The other is my 9mm Ruger LCR. Half the moonclips I got from Ruger (including extra I ordered) were useless right out of the package. Then I found Speed Beez moonclips and they have worked great. I carry the Ruger, but usually not with a reload (I usually didn't carry a reload with my .38 spl J-frames either). I like the little extra velocity of factory 9mm over factory .38 spl from a short barrel.

Back