Revolvers Chambered For Autoloader Calibers-Why?

mec,

I'll attach the 1024x768 original here. Makes a good desktop. (That's what I'm using it for right now. ;) )

Taken with a plain 'ol Sony Digital Mavica MVC-FD85 using the macro setting and available light.

Attachments

• moonclip.jpg
    moonclip.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 100
I have a 610 because I can get all the .40 brass I could want at the range free. Not many people shoot revolvers and leave the brass behind. Also the reloads are faster. Plus I have my 610 for plinking and bowling pin shooting so it does not have to be a 41 mag. I have a 5 shot 45 colt for Bear protection to back up my 870.
PAT

I dont have an answer but yet another question of the same nature. Why not? Semi auto's have had rimmed catridge guns for a while...look at the Desert Eagles in .357, 41 and 44 mag.
They are great guns...just the opposite of your question!

Shoot well

I can get more 10mm into my (non Levi) jeans pockets than .44M bear busters without them going half moon on me.. Someday I'll have a 610 or maybe rechamber a Ruger or something. I would like to have Tamara's Vaquero if she gets tired of playing with that antiquated single action. Think of how calloused her thumb must get from hitchin' back that nasty old hammer. .:eek:

Seriously, high performance modern powder capacity/design ammo in a trouble free package and a reloaders dream. No magazine issues, no unsupported chamber issues, overall length very forgiving, shape of bullet performance based, not feed based.

I like the .45 caliber, I have a S.A. 1911, then bought a S&W 625. I like the fact that I can use the same ammunition in both weapons. The less complications there are when under stress, like digging around in the dark for the right box of ammo, the better the chances. As for the half-moon or full-moon clips, the gun can fire with or without them, the clips make for quicker extracting and loading though.
I can also load some pretty hot .45ar loads for those boondocking excursions where I might encounter dangerous game.

I bought my 625 and am on the hunt for a 610 because I like revolvers, and already have autos in the calibers.

Compared to revolvers using speedloaders the loading and unloading is very positive with moonclips - the rounds/empty cases all go in and they all come out together, instead of having one hang up. And I get all my brass back. You can also get 1/2-moon clips and 1/3-moon clips.

Seems to me that a 6 shot 9mm revolver with a 3 to 4 inch barrel would be good for IDPA. Are there any quality revolvers that meet that description?

Tamara?

What is that silver thing on the left side of the picture? My first guess was a hinge for a folding leaf table but the grain makes it look like it's one piece of wood.
And BTW, nice picture.

Last edited:
Thanks Tamara. You have just helped me decide what my next handgun will be. I simply MUST have one of those 5" 625s. I wonder if they're available with a tapered barrel. The full lug seems a little much for such a low recoil cartridge.

After seeing guys fumble speed loaders I wonder why the fullmoon clip and 45 acp isn't offered by more mfg's.

My First revolver was a Colt 1917 Army, so I'm used to it.

Also, even though I reload.. I didn't want to buy a diffetent caliber/die set up to shoot 45 Colt ammo. So for me, buying one that shot ACP makes sense. Same is true for 9mm over 38.

Now if only someone would MAKE a non-ported steel snubby in 45acp I'd be happy. They make tons of 44 specials.. why not a 45acp?

(grumble)

Back