Revolvers are more reliable! I mean, autoloaders! I mean....

Which is true for your most reliable gun(s)

• Revolver: 2K rds before failure. Easy fix

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Revolver: 2K rds before failure. Tough fix

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Revolver: 5K rds before failure. Easy fix

• Revolver: 5K rds before failure. Tough fix

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Revolver: 10K+ rds before failure. Easy fix

• Revolver: 10K+ rds before failure. Tough fix

• Revolver: 10K+ Never failed.

Votes: 26 60.5%
  • Semi-Auto: 2K rds before failure. Easy fix

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Semi-Auto: 2K rds before failure. Tough fix

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Semi-Auto: 5K rds before failure. Easy fix

• Semi-Auto: 5K rds before failure. Tough fix

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Semi-Auto: 10K+ rds before failure. Easy fix

• Semi-Auto: 10K+ rds before failure. Tough fix

• Semi-Auto: 10K+ rds Never failed.

Votes: 15 34.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pond James Pond

It's an age-old topic, and I saw a post in a thread about SA revolvers that extolled the reliability of autoloaders over revolvers; something that previously has been strongly rejected by some.

So, instead of just saying I agree or disagree and here's why, I've decided (inspired by a similar poll on Taurae vs S&Ws) to simply start a poll where you can choose which category you fit in. It asks how many rounds you shot, cumulatively, before experiencing a malfunction with your firearm and tries to estimate the degree of severity of the failure.

I'm allowing multiple votes so that owners of both autoloaders and revolvers can add their experiences. I am not distinguishing between SA or DA revolvers, nor between hammer or striker fired pistols, otherwise the number of options would be ridiculous.

PLEASE: only include your most reliable firearm in each case. I want to know how good they can be, rather than how bad they can be. An easy fix was achieved in situ (at the range for example), a tough fix required greater work or even a 'Smith's intervention.

You can detail what the gun is that you've based your vote on and any details of the issue in the thread responses.

NB: DO NOT INCLUDE ANY FAILURES BASED ON AMMO (eg brass failure, squibs FTF etc). MECHANICAL FAILURES ONLY (INC MAGS).

Last edited:
So, you can only vote that you had no failures only when you reach 10k rounds? I think you should have added some more options.. maybe just "never had it fail" I don't know the round counts I have, but never had one of my revolvers fail on me. Semi.. a couple of failure to ejects and a couple of magazine issues here and there. Nothing major, but as far as my experience goes, I say revolver is more reliable.

I agree with Waspinator, I only have a couple of revolvers that's approaching 5000 rounds but it you count up all of the N frame smiths it would be well over that number and no failures on any of them.
Of all the auto's I own I don't think I have one that hasn't failed for one reason or another but only one was the actual guns fault and that was a G34 slide stop spring.

Holy cow, my eyes bugged out of my face at the poll options. :eek: I have thusly ignored the poll and will continue to do so! :D

I don't truly believe that the seeker of the answers when this age old question appears ever truly gets the answer they want (or think they want...?)

Been handgunning now for a short handful of decades. My first two were revolvers, my next few were semi-auto and these days my pistols likely have a slight edge by number than do my revolvers but I sure love all of them.

Experience has taught me that some (or even many...) semi-auto pistols can be temperamental in function, and it takes a little experience and practice to trace down the source of issues and deal with them. For folks that aren't well practiced and extremely familiar with handguns -- revolvers tend to tip the odds in their favor that it will do as it is asked.

There is a REAL flipside, too. When a revolver gives you a problem (seemingly less often or FAR less often...), you have yourself a GAME CHANGING problem. If you are lucky and skilled, you can rectify it in that same shooting session at the range. And sometimes, it takes your bench at home with good light and some tools and patience to fix the issue.

Typically, with a pistol, when something doesn't go as planned...
There is a quick multi-step process to notice the issue, get it out of the way and proceed with the next volley of shots. If the issue returns, you have a problem that needs to be addressed but you'll usually finish off your box of ammo and/or your range trip still shooting it.

You also stated very clearly that ammo related issues should be stricken from this discussion but that's kind of like having a beauty pageant and removing the swimsuit & evening gown parts of the contest. :confused::eek::p

I doubt if any pistol of mine has reached 10,000 rounds, but collectively, I'm well past that figure.

I have two semiautos that have never failed, both are Colt 1911 Model 70, one in 9mm, the other in .45acp.

All the others have had one or more failures, all feed or eject, that require clearing before a second round is fired. All are due to ammo or cleaning, any spring set issues are dealt with very early on.

Not one revolver has ever failed to turn the cylinder and fire the round when the trigger is pulled. Mainly S&W, some surplus revolvers as well.

So one poster responded but didn't vote because there were 2 sets of seven options and it was too much. Others want more options. You lot are a tough crowd to please! :eek:

Should I have gone in 5 shot increments? ;)

Seriously, though, this is not a scientific study and not a perfect poll: it should be a bit of fun with a "interest" aspect involved.

I chose those shot counts because I feel they give us a spread of moderate, substantial and heavy use of a firearm and if the topic is which is the longer lasting and most reliable, then higher shot counts should be used.

Last edited:
My own personal prejudices say that some revolvers are more reliable; At any rate, if I saw the flash, a Smith & Wesson Model 10 would be the first thing I would grab.

"NB: DO NOT INCLUDE ANY FAILURES BASED ON AMMO (eg brass failure, squibs FTF etc). MECHANICAL FAILURES ONLY (INC MAGS)."

This pretty much invalidates it. I have a lot of handguns and have been shooting a long time. Very few of my handguns have ever experienced actual mechanical failures. Revolvers and semi-autos have probably been about the same in this regard.

But semi-autos having a simple jam due to a defective round, or a friend limp-wristing them, or the magazine not being fully seated, or the pistol being slightly out of battery, have been far more common than any kinds of problems with revolvers. These are all quick simple fixes, but could still be life-threatening.

This pretty much ruins it.

On the contrary: it focuses on failures that are due to either the gun being a revolver or the gun being a semi-auto.

The fact I had Barnaul ammo with a number of dud primers was no fault of the Glock that clicked but didn't bang when it struck them.

Indeed, my terms have thus led you to making this statement:

Very few of my handguns have ever experienced actual mechanical failures. Revolvers and semi-autos have probably been about the same in this regard.

...., which is exactly the kind of information I am trying to get at.

Your poll is too busy, for one thing I don't keep up with round counts in my guns.

I'll just say this. In 40+ years of shooting I've had more revolvers fail to function than semi-autos. And it has been very few with either. But in every case when the revolver went down I was through shooting it until I got home and used tools to correct the problem. The semi's only required a few seconds to clear the problem and I was back to shooting within seconds.

Most of the problems with both can be traced back to defective ammo or dirty guns. Since revolvers are far more complex with many more small parts with much closer tolerances they are more susceptible to dirt and abuse. Many of the moving parts are outside the revolver and are easily damaged if the gun is dropped on hard surfaces. Most semis, especially striker fired guns have almost all the moving parts enclosed and protected from dirt and if the gun is dropped.

People who only shoot at a range and clean their guns after every outing often don't understand this. But to LE, Military of even a regular citizen who may have to actually use a gun to protect themselves having a gun that will still work if dirty or after being dropped on the ground, or used as a club, is a pretty big deal.

I've been a shooter for most of my life both auto's and revolvers and I've had failures with both. None of which were the guns fault. My autos failed because I didn't maintain them properly, and they are more sensitive to that over revolvers. I had my first revolver failure last year. It was miss firing. When my gunsmith opened it up he looked at me and asked what had I used this weapon for? It had been my boot gun for years then my fishing/hunting gun. The springs were rusted and full of gunk, he couldn't believe it fired at all. Now it's back new springs and new finish.
IMHO both are equally reliable if maintain properly. Automatics just need a little extra love.

I have 35 handguns, and I don't think I have put 10K rounds through all of them combined!
I guess my problem is I buy more firearms than I do ammo.

The manager at my LGS calls me when they get in a used Colt or S&W to give me the first shot at buying it, and I have got some good deals from them.

The only one I have that needed a gunsmith was a Colt Lawman that someone had made into a DAO which I had repaired.

Other than that, I have had only ammo, or magazine problems with the others.

So...I couldn't vote either :)

Reliability

Round too high spread ,too vague.Represents more of years of human memories :eek:than Guns.in fairness calleven.Skeets

Had a ruger gp100 jam up, its a problem in the design, has happened to other people. Sold the gun didn't trust it. But I do completely trust my 1911. Now a single action revolver is more reliable than an automatic handgun, and more reliable than a DA revolver. Because it is simpler. Now if you compare a 2000 dollar SA revolver to a 2000 dollar automatic pistol, which will have a spring break or wear out before the other? I depends on the size and strength of the spring, but a revolver may shoot itself out of time before a auto pistol shoots out its barrel or wears away the locking lugs or contacts. But the auto recoil/mainspring/striker spring may wear out before the SA revolver wears out its hammer spring. Nobody really knows

Most people will blame the ammo or a cheap magazine if their gun jams. There are jams that could be caused by either the ammo or the gun or a combination of both. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.

Depends on what one means by reliable.

Clean the piece every 100 rounds? 200? 500? Shoot hot loads often? Softball loads? Factory fmj or smoky lead reloads?

Reliable in sandy weather? Jungle? Arctic cold? Desert heat?

So what does one mean by reliable?

Deaf

But the auto recoil/mainspring/striker spring may wear out before the SA revolver wears out its hammer spring.

Possibly, but I can just about guarantee that the trigger or bolt or bolt spring or half cock notch or hand spring will break on the SAA first, and probably the hammer spring as well... (Colt)

This poll is flawed, there are no options for low round counts and no failures only no failures at 10k plus rounds. Many people will not shoot that much through their gun in a lifetime. Ammo is just too darned expensive
Current .45acp is about $285/1000, that's about as cheap as you can get brass cased factory new. That's twenty and a half cents a shot which would be $2800. That's buying in bulk, when most of us buy a box at a time and spend $20-$26 on a box of 50 .45acp

Back