Revolver

kwhi43

Some of the revolvers I see at Friendship

6eb8c38024cb1205777b4ad47a30a4ca.jpg

Looks

I,m sure they are more concerned about how they shoot rather than how they look.I think it's a shooting contest not a beauty contest

That gun has a 9mm barrel, sleeved chambers, shoots .360 round ball, tight lock up, VERY light trigger, and stacks em' easy at 25 yards. Yes it is a bastardized child but she's won me a match or two and proves to be a gun worth having around.

S.W.A.G.

Morphed%20Pistol_zpsmh5pullv.jpg

That gun has a 9mm barrel, sleeved chambers, shoots .360 round ball, tight lock up, VERY light trigger, and stacks em' easy at 25 yards. Yes it is a bastardized child but she's won me a match or two and proves to be a gun worth having around.

Is that REALLY your gun?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and do a SWAG (Scientific Wild A$$ Guess).

The grips are definitely cut down (at the top) S&W Model 41. I would think these to be somewhat rare as a spare part and quite spendy unless you just had some hanging around.

The frame is definitely a Remington New Model without the load lever (pin missing) and the cylinder removal pin evident. The barrel has been turned on a lathe.

The rear sight looks like a Bomar (?) and the front sight is somewhat similar to the Dixie Remington New Model Army Target Relvolver (RH0631) but looks home made and possibly dovetailed.

The brass trigger guard is terrible in the way it has been cut down. The gunsmith/owner could have kept the trigger completely enclosed without the frontstrap.

I am puzzled by the fluted cylinder insofar as manufacture but it looks like one made by Pietta for the BP percussion version of the 1873 Colt. I dunno. Sure looks like the bolt drags excessively on the cylinder.

How did you do the grip frame?

And I have NO clue what the rear extension is from the rear of the frame.

Let me know how wrong I am.

Jim

Last edited:
Here's mine. It is a little different. Same caliber .36. Shoots a .360 ball.
Barrel is a 9mm. These are made to shoot high scores in revolver matches.
Nothing more.
2011_12210005-1_filtered.jpg

Ok Jim here's the rundown: YES ITS MY GUN! Rob Lewis made it for Charlie Haffner Jr.'s wife way back.

I bought the gun last year "as is". It was commissioned in the mid 70's to early 80's - hence the ring on the cylinder. It's been shot a good bit.

The gun started as a pietta in .44. It was rebarreled with an Uzi 9mm barrel blank that was cut and turned down (at least that's what the maker told me when I tracked him down).

Chambers were welded up and re drilled for appropriate size. The gun shoots .360 round ball.

Flutes in the cylinder were added.

A completely different loading tool was made to mount to the gun and seat the bullets at the Same depth every time but I took it off and load the cylinder on a press designed for precise seating instead. Just easier for me that way.

The trigger guard was cut that way because the trigger was cut twice and welded back together so that it set back further - closer to the grip. Could not do this without cutting the trigger guard.

The rear sight is the uper half of a bomar fitting into a new housing that was welded up onto the top of the gun. The front sight was machined and dovetailed into place.

The grip frame was completely cut off and refabricated to hold S&W 41 grips but yes the right grip panel is cut a little low because that same set of grip panels go on a Yazel Flintlock pistol. The lock got in the way of the grip pannel so the pannel got trimmed to fit. The grip frame on the revolver is some welding and some Allen head screws.

The steal block with holes hanging off the back gives be a stop for the web of my hand so the gun doesn't swivel from recoil in my hand. The holes simply reduced weight in that area. They serve no other purpose.

So in a nutshell that is my Lewis Revolver in .36. I've not experimented much with loads but currently using 20 grains of FFF Goex with cornmeal on top.

Don't usually care for competition and race guns but since these look very DIY I'm kinda diggin it. Any pics of Colts done up the same way?
I agree, it's kind of the firearm version of a ratrod.

Of the 25 plus years shooting at the Nationals, I have never seen a Colt type.
Must be a reason for this.

Thanks Rookie21!

Very good and informative reply about your pistol.

I guess when I posted I had still not gotten over the "shock" of seeing it. :o

I gots lots to learn in these here circles!

Jim

DSCN0240_zps0e97f4b4.jpg

The pistols I use to shoot the "men's" pistol aggregate in the TMLRA matches.
The Revolver uses a 9 mm barrel and shoots a .360 RB, the chambers are only big enough for 13 grains of powder so I don't use any filler. It was built by Ed Brown of Fredericksburg, TX.
The flintlock and caplock are 10-Rings.

These guns are only designed to win matches, not win beauty contests.

The same is true for my ml shotgun for trap. Built by Robert Mimms of Odessa TX, I added stock weight and a clamp on barrel weight to bring its weight up to around 8 1/4 pounds so I can smite 100+ clay birds in one day without feeling I lost a bar room fight afterwards. It doesn't even have a place for a field ramrod.

015_zpsxa3bfcbv.jpg

Back