Revolver vs semi auto

Once again the old "revolver vs auto" debate. Simple answer shoot what you like. If you are not a gun person and just wanting simple self defense protection it is awful hard to argue with the simplicity of a J frame .38, however you can certainly increase your advantage in self defense by mastering an Auto in just about any flavor. Chose what works best for you, not much else matters!
Be Safe.:

While I am sure they are hard to find and probably pretty collectible, there are 1911s that are almost 100 years old that can still shoot. There are also Lugers and Sig P210s that are over 50 years old that are can be shot.

Take a look at Glock's famous torture tests where thousands of rounds were fired through the guns. There were tests involving salt water corrrosion testing, freezing, dropping, dragging through mud, etc.

Overall, I'd say that modern semi-autos are very reliable and if properly cared for, will last for a VERY long time.

The revolver will fire all 50,000 rounds without a hitch while the semi-auto will
jamb on many occasions throughout those 50,000 rounds.

Jamb, that is part of a door of or window frame. Sometimes firearms jam and revolvers are just as likely if not more so than semi's. And in my experience a modern semi will be plugging away long after a revolver has needed repair to keep it running.

There are numerous documented cases of semi-auto's running with only minor owner replaceable parts ( usually magazines or magazine springs) at over the 100,000 round count and a few over 300,000.

Double action revolvers on the other hand are the most complex of firearm designs with far more fragile parts than modern semi's. When a revolver goes down it is most likely in need of professional help, most semi's can easily be broken down and worn parts easily replaced by the user with no special tools, sometimes no tools at all.

jmr40, i thought jam is what you put on your toast in the morning. As the younger generation likes to say, "My bad".

If you shoot either long enough it seems like problems occur. I've had springs on SA's go out and let my thumb slip of the ejector rod on my S&W 13 during a speed reload trapping the cases underneath the star, that put me out for a good 15-20 minutes. And If I remember right it used to be called preserves we put on out toast, maybe why I'm so well preserved today.

I shoot both on a regular basis, and these days, the ratio is something like 9:1 auto/revolver. In the last 5 years or so, have had more troubles with revolvers, albeit, they were only a dozen or so, and mostly ammo related, but all the same, that was more than I had with the autos (that werent induced).

The biggest problem with revolvers is, when they do have an issue, the guns usually out of action until you can figure it out. Most autos are back in action with a quick TRB.

Id be willing to bet, that most people dont shoot their guns enough to really ever have an issue (assuming they maintain them of course). So pick what you like, and spend some quality time with it, and learn how to use it, and Im sure youll probably be fine. Personally, with the general atmosphere these days, I dont see going with any of the revolvers, for anything serious. I practice with them to stay on top of them (and because they are fun), and mostly in case I need to pick one up and use it, than anything else.

Most of my experience is with my Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt. I have put a few thousand rounds through it, mostly my reloads, and have never had any type of failure.
I had two .44 Blackhawks back in the late 80's, early 90's, and both went back to Ruger because the cylinder gap was to tight. I currently have my dads .45 Blackhawk of the same era, and it too went back for the same reason. All it took to tie them all up, was a couple of cylinders full of LSWC's, and you were done, until the face of the cylinders were cleaned off. They all seemed fine, out of the box, and if you only fired a couple of rounds, you'd have probably been OK, but its one of those things you only find out, while wringing them out. No different with the autos either.

Shoot enough of anything, and sooner or later, you'll have an issue.

Revolver wise, I mostly shoot DA revolvers, the majority of which have been S&W's, and have had most of the stoppages reported here (and a few others) with them at one time or another. Some of them are tecnique related (reloading the gun), or reload (ammo) related, or parts related, etc, and all were a learning experience, most of which have been corrected. The hardest one to get right, are the reloads (ammo), as there are just to many variables. Its easy to Loc Tite screws, learn to reload the gun properly, etc, but ammo can sometimes be finicky, and really give you grief. All it takes is a loose crimp on a worn out piece of brass, and the bullet jumps the crimp, tying up the cylinder, or the powder charge doesnt ignite properly, and the bullet stops at the forcing cone, or in the barrel, and your done. Hopefully, you were paying attention with the last one, and dont send another right up behind it. Thats one scary thing about a revolver, that many seem to push as a plus. Just pull the trigger again! Was it really a dud? Or is the bullet in the barrel? Do you REALLY want to pull that trigger again? At least autos normally dont cycle, and you get a second chance to think about it. (not that any of that really matters in a bad situation. Youre likely to just do the drill anyway, and then go on to plan B).

1. The revolver will still be going strong while the semi-auto will be a distant memory.
No way to say with only the information provided. Some revolvers hold up very well, others may not depending on how they are used. Same with semi-autos.
2. The revolver will fire all 50,000 rounds without a hitch while the semi-auto will jamb on many occasions throughout those 50,000 rounds.
A good revolver would likely only have a couple of issues in that amount of shooting assuming good ammo & maintenance. One might get a bit of crud under the extractor star a couple of times in that period or end up with enough buildup on the forcing cone to tie things up once or twice if the cylinder gap is tight and especially if lead ammo is used. A good semi-auto, used with good ammo and shot under ideal conditions would likely have only a few malfunctions in 50K rounds--maybe 5 or less. If it's shot under a variety of stressing conditions (strong-hand, weak-hand, one-hand, dirty) over that many rounds I'd expect to see maybe 15 malfunctions.
3. The revolver will never see a gunsmith, while the semi-auto will be a frequent visitor.
If both are good quality and properly maintained, it's quite possible neither would ever see a gunsmith. What is definitely true is that if the revolver does actually break, it's more likely that it will need gunsmith attention while if the semi-auto has a part fail, it's more likely that the owner can fix it.
4. The revolver will have better resale value.
Depends heavily on the type of revolver and the type of semi-auto. It could go either way.
5. If your life depended on it, you would choose the 50 year old revolver over
the 50 year old semi-auto.
I'd have to know a lot more about both and about this life-threatening encounter I'm expecting before I would make a decision.

Oh my God, if you've got money for 50,000 rounds of ammo, even stuff you've reloaded, you've got money to replace your handgun.

Revolvers don't rely on the cartridge to cycle the gun. They are more tolerant of different bullet shapes/weights/power levels, hell they'll even shoot if the round has no powder in the case with just the primer to knock the bullet out the barrel.

I'm a revolver man myself, and quite frankly feel the only real benefit semi-autos have is firepower and ease of reload. Both of those are important, but for my needs double action revolvers just plain work for me, and they've worked well for years. YMMV.

hell they'll even shoot if the round has no powder in the case with just the primer to knock the bullet into the barrel.
There, I fixed it for you. :)

I guess youre in the "aint skeer'd" group. Go ahead, pull that trigger again! I double dog dare ya! :D

I would be worried about the cylinder getting dirty and having ejection issues. I bought a used 454 revolver that was "cleaned", but when shooting 454s they would need to be pushed out from the powder ring formed in the cylinder as the prior owner shot 45colt frequently. Before cleaning the cylinder, it had over 50 fails (as I just kept shooting rather than bag it and go home).

And after shooting 50k rounds, wouldn't there be a bit of throat erosion? Unless you're talking about only shooting slow low power rounds, but what fun is that?

Long story short, a quality handgun will still be a quality handgun after 50 years or 50,000 rounds and a poor quality gun will not.

Michaelcj said:
None of the Above.
I agree.

The poll is set up so that ALL the choices favor revolvers. AL45, if your intent was to find out if semi-auto pistols will last for as many rounds as revolvers, why not just ask that? As for revolvers, you've never heard of a .357 being shot out? I have. Frames get stretched, cranes get stretched, lock-up gets sloppy, forcing cones get eroded. There are LOTS of things that can happen to a revolver that gets shot a lot.

That said, how many people put anywhere near 50,000 rounds through their carry piece? I sure don't. I have a couple of range toys, and I have a couple of carry pistols. The carry pistols get shot enough to verify function and rotate carry ammo, but they're not designed for lengthy, high round count range sessions and I don't use them that way.

Glock has clearly demonstrated the ability to handle a very high number of rounds (many guns with over 100,000 rounds through them). I believe Chuck Taylor has over a quarter million rounds through his Glock 17. Even if you were to wear out a barrel, it is very easy to order a replacement barrel and just drop it in. Worn recoil springs are also very easy to replace.

I have only one revolver in my collection (Ruger GP 100) a it doesn't get shot very often. It is very accurate, has a great trigger, and is a hoot to shoot, but .357 Mag ammo is a bit pricy these days.

Buy a good quality name brand gun that you like and don't worry about it. Any of the service type handguns (GP100, 686, 92, 226, G17 etc...) will be pretty robust, I don't think you will be disappointed.

When a revolver goes down it is most likely in need of professional help, most semi's can easily be broken down and worn parts easily replaced by the user with no special tools, sometimes no tools at all.

Essentially true. But one need to understand the reasons behind this. The revolver, generally, keeps going until it is stopped by something that needs "professional" help. (tools & knowledge).

Semi autos of the "duty" class, and compacts made from them, today, are all designs that were intended for military use. They are designed and built understanding that their users will field strip, and detail strip them WAAAY more often then necessary. Parts replacement has to be easy, military repairmen are not gunsmiths.

Revolvers are not, and never were, made for that.

Revolvers don't rely on the cartridge to cycle the gun. They are more tolerant of different bullet shapes/weights/power levels, hell they'll even shoot if the round has no powder in the case with just the primer to knock the bullet out the barrel.

just the primer to knock the bullet into the barrel.

There, I fixed it for you.

Practice shooting with primer only powered ammo was very popular at one time, using wax or plastic bullets. Every aspect of revolver function (other than recoil) is the same using this ammo as it is using regular ammo. Not so for the semi auto.

I'm fine with discussing and debating the merits of revolvers vs. semi autos, but let's be sure that claims based on specific examples are not touted as features shared by everything in the class.

I think its wonderful that the modern "combat Tupperware" semis can go 50, or 100K rounds. Now, show me you can do that with a Jennings .22. To be a valid argument for the entire class, it has to be true FOR the entire class.

Also, don't count "failures" or jams that were operator created, or ammo dependent. And remember, too that when you are saying Revolver and Semi Auto as entire classes, you are including more than just "fighting" handguns.

Each class has its own advantages and disadvantages. Compare them as classes, or compare specific guns to specific guns, its all good. But don't play mix and match. It destroys the validity of your comparison and your arguments.

Practice shooting with primer only powered ammo was very popular at one time, using wax or plastic bullets. Every aspect of revolver function (other than recoil) is the same using this ammo as it is using regular ammo. Not so for the semi auto.
From what was posted, I took it he was referring to the same bullets in loaded ammo, just without the powder charge.

Ive shot my share of the old Speer "plastic" bullets, in both revolvers and .45autos, and wax bullets "cut" from a cookie sheet, in both as well.

We actually used both in what is now considered FoF, well, up until the first "hit" or so with those Speer plastic bullets anyway. That wasnt one of our brightest moments. Those plastic bullets hurt like hell and left some nasty bruises! We went back to using BB guns. :)

This thread has reminded me of the half dozen or so cool Ruger revolvers that have come out recently, and how I need to buy them all!

Looks like it's ramen for the next few months!! :D

Looks like it's ramen for the next few months!!

thanks for the laugh. Been there, done that, and still have the guns! :D

That's one of the beauties of good guns. Years later, you still have good guns. Where are the great steaks of yesteryear? Down the pipe and gone long ago....:D

Just a little slanted....

Just curious why you chose those absurdly high standards??

High standards? Look at military firearms. I have a 1917 German Luger and it still works great and its 98 years old! I have no real idea as to the round count but its a great shooter. I would guess its well over 50k I've put more than 10k rounds down range with it. Its never been to a gunsmith since I bought it back in the 80's.

Back