Revolver vs semi auto - yet again - accuracy

The autos used in bulls eye competition are not off the shelf guns.

And neither are the revolvers! :D

Every tweak or modification allowed within the rules is used. Sights, grips, trigger & action jobs, etc. If its allowed in the rules, it is being done, by most, if not all. Other than matches where no modifications at all are the rules, the next time someone wins a major match with a completely bone stock off the shelf gun will be the first time in a very long time.

Consider for a moment the Contender. It has the fixed barrel & sight relationship of the revolver, and the solid barrel & chamber of the auto pistol. And generally, will out shoot both in terms of accuracy (group size).

Consider for a moment the Contender. It has the fixed barrel & sight relationship of the revolver, and the solid barrel & chamber of the auto pistol. And generally, will out shoot both in terms of accuracy (group size).
I wonder if anyone has tested a Freedom Arms head to head with a Contender?
I'm pretty sure the Contender would win - but - I wouldn't want to bet my life on it.

I wonder if anyone has tested a Freedom Arms head to head with a Contender?
With the tolarances that FA holds on cylinder consentricity, bore alignment becomes a non factor. There would likely be as much difference between two contender barrels or two Freedom arms revolvers as there would be between between the brands.

It may be worth considering, though, the idea that the cylinder with its cartridges in a revolver is not as tightly locked to the barrel when ignition occurs as the cartridge is in the breech of a semiauto. It may be that there is little effect; I don't know.
This can most certainly affect accuracy, but I submit that it get's pretty well taken care of at a much cheaper price point than barrel lock up does in an auto. I mean you start dropping below $300 and you'll start finding revolvers that wont shoot well because of issues with cylinder alignment however there are quite a few autos in that price range that are pretty good.

Given your every day average, not custom, not tricked out, not worked over, stock out of the box gun.

Which have you found to be the more accurate?

It's about a wash, between my S&W 19 and Ruger Mk II Target.

titles

think that Jerry Miculek might argue that statement. 12 rounds with a reload in 2.96 seconds and all the championship titles he has using wheel guns.
Don't get me wrong....Miculek is a magically talented shooter but he doesn't shoot, afaik, "conventional pistol" matches. Conventional pistol is another term for Bullseye match shooting. Who knows? Maybe Mr. M will show up at Camp Perry, Ohio this July for the National Pistol Championships and walk away with all the glory. He has not chosen to do that yet, though
Pete

Which is the most accurate - revolver or semi-auto? Hmmm . . .

I've always found that there is no real difference . . . IF you take the time to practice, practice, practice and "learn" you handgun . . i.e. how it functions, how it aims, the best loads and where the POI is.

As the old saying goes . . "Beware of the man who shoots just one gun." :rolleyes:

Wow that's the most accurate 19 I've ever heard of most Mk IIs I've seen would easily shoot under an inch at 25 yards
All three of the M19's I owned would do that. The one I kept can do even better.
My Mark II "Slabside" is nothing to brag about from an accuracy standpoint.
Neither are the two .22/45's I have - but - I will say I do shoot the one .22/45 exceptionally well due to the sheer number of rounds I put through it.

As the old saying goes . . "Beware of the man who shoots just one gun."
LOL!
I always chalked that one up to some poor guy that couldn't afford more than one gun saying that to make himself feel better about being poor :D :D

44 Amp

Revolvers aren't used in Bullseye competition. It's a semi-auto game, has been for 50 years or longer.

Revolvers aren't used in Bullseye competition. It's a semi-auto game, has been for 50 years or longer.
Pete they're not $700 stock autos either.

Sure Hal, I forgot this is the internet, All I know is I've shot several 10 shot groups with my old Mk II and my even older Mk I targets under 1/2" and they never shoot groups over 1" which is why I used the term easily. My M14 will shoot 5 under an inch sometimes but it's no safe bet, Also I'm sure you're not comparing 19s shooting carefully loaded reloads against Mk IIs shooting cheap bulk ammo as that's hardly apples to apples;)

well....maybe...not

Revolvers aren't used in Bullseye competition. It's a semi-auto game, has been for 50 years or longer
Semiautos do dominate the shooting....however, a blanket statement like the above is inaccurate.
I shoot with a fellow who shoots a K-22 in all of our Bullseye matches.....and shoots it quite nicely. I, myself, use an old S&W model 10 for the centerfire stages occasionally. I am sure that we are not the only ones.
However, the fact that so few shooters chose to shoot revolvers in the Bullseye game - where accuracy/precision is paramount - says volumes about the "shootability" of semiautos vs. revolvers.
All Distinguished Revolver matches run by the CMP are Bullseye matches.

What I haven't seen here are two comparos of roughly comparable weapons, say a 4.5in 9mm semi and a 4in 38 wheelgun, all in the same price range, both locked in rests and then both fired handheld.

One might _assume _ that a fixed barrel 9, such as a Styr GB, would perform equally with a 38 wheelgun, but it would be a fun assumption to verify. I have the GB, but don't have a comparable 38, or I would do that myself.

I don't care a fig about the argument, but the revolver guys keep mentioning a straw man arguments by saying the auto winners aren't low dollars "off the shelf autos."

I do recall most off the shelf S&W PC start at $1,000 and go up from there. Essentially a S&W PC revolver can go for the price of a Sig X6/P210, STI race gun, HK Expert, or about any other...

I don't care a fig about the argument, but the revolver guys keep mentioning a straw man arguments by saying the auto winners aren't low dollars "off the shelf autos."

I do recall most off the shelf S&W PC start at $1,000 and go up from there. Essentially a S&W PC revolver can go for the price of a Sig X6/P210, STI race gun, HK Expert, or about any other...
Not all of us revolver guys are saying that.....

I mentioned a lot earlier on that I was talking about a basic no frills no performace center not worked over revolver, like a box stock M19 or M66 or M29 or even a M10.
Then put that up against a pedestrian box stock gun - say even something such as a CZ75B, which I own also and agree, it's one of the more accurate combat type pistols out there.

If you locked 100 CZ75b's in a machine rest and 100 S&W M10's and fired 100 rounds through each, then compared the results - I believe the revolver targets would be better.
That removes the Indian from the equation and leaves the arrow...

In my experience, to have the same level of accuracy you get with a mid priced revolver, you have to buy a high priced semi auto. This is the most accurate 45ACP I have ever owned, and it was not cheap:

For rimfires you don’t have to spend as much, this Ruger MkII is very accurate.

It may be ironic, or maybe it is because Bullseye requires a rapid fire sequence, but the most common pistols for Bullseye are automatics.
This one is a very high end rim fire auto pistol.

To me the real question is, what sort of accuracy do you need? Not what you want, but what you need. In a game where you are punching holes in paper at 50 yards, accuracy is paramount. However, it turns out these expensive and ultra tight pistols are finicky over ammunition, function, weather. But, there are a lot of other situations where function reliability is a higher priority and a good tradeoff for accuracy. And in those situations, the stress factor is so high that the individual will not be able to shoot competition level accuracy, and the average "combat pistol", even if it is not target grade, will still shoot inside the person’s hold.

Back