Revolver rounds in semi auto pistols

I shoot .32 S&W Long wadcutters in a semi auto Benelli MP95. This pistol has a low bore axis and with light target loads recoil is just a touch greater than a .22LR.

Ok, so we've got semis shooting quite a few different "revolver" rounds, target guns shooting .38Spl and .32 Long, semis that shoot the magnum revolver rounds, and of course everything shoots .22LR. :D

Right now, the only ones I can think of that are missing are the .45 Colt, and the monster magnum rounds above that (.454,.460, etc)

Not nearly as small a selection as I first considered.

It is easy to understand why no one had done a semi in .45 Colt, not for any mechanical reason, but for its performance in SAAMI spec levels just doesn't justify it when the same size gun needed can be done in .44 Mag or another equally powerful caliber.

You might be able to do a Desert Eagle in .454 but where's the market going to be??

No, because unlike the revolvers that cost no more than a comparable "revolver caliber", a semi auto that shoots a "revolver caliber" is extremely expensive and usually quite large and unwieldy.

The only semi auto that I wish to see revolver calibers made for is a rifle with a tubular magazine akin to the Ruger Model 44, but I want it in more than just .44 Mag and a tube that holds more than 4 rounds.

Since Henry is now making a 9mm PCC, I could see them doing this and I'd prefer them to because they would offer both a gate loading option and loading from the muzzle end of the tube, which would accommodate speedloaders that are available on Amazon, but also allow topping off the magazine with single rounds.

Given the push in anti-gun states with detachable magazines, these rifles would be desired.

a semi auto that shoots a "revolver caliber" is extremely expensive and usually quite large and unwieldy.

Certainly some of them are, but we've already established that not all of them are, and if you accept the .22 rimfire as a "revolver round", which, I do, then you can find lots of examples where the revolver is more expensive, and often larger.

Magnum semi autos are larger and heavier than same caliber revolvers, generally, that's the nature of the beast. Magnum revolvers tend to be larger and heavier than the same barrel length and caliber in my T/C Contender single shot.

Sticking with just the .357 and .44 Magnums, for a moment, I have 4 different handgun choices, by class for either. Each one is different from the others, some radically so.

Single shot (Contenders), SA revolver (I have Rugers), DA revolver (I have S&Ws) and semi autos (Desert Eagle, LAR Grizzly, and in .357 also the Coonan)

Each one is different, grips, barrels, triggers, method of operation and quirks.

Each one does something better than the others, and each one doesn't do something as well as the others.

I guess I missed this thread when I posted in the similar thread yesterday.

Currently two Coonan Classic .357's and I shoot one of them a ton. Also shoot a lot of .38 Special in it, however the load I am running almost surely goes slightly past the pressure of SAAMI established .38+P. I have a glut of 125 and 130gr bullets and I use them over a charge of Power Pistol for use in the Coonan with the 10-pound accessory spring. Reliability in my pistol with the lighter spring and this load is absolutely 100% and it's a lot of fun.

For me with this pistol, full-nuts .357 Magnum is more enjoyable but my club prohibits magnum loads on club-owned steel at a particular area of the club that I usually shoot, so it's .38 loads or no Coonan in that area. Because of this reason, I've launched thousands and thousands of these through mine.

Also shooting a good bit of 148gr HBWC through my S&W Model 52's. One of them is a safe queen, mint & box, etc. The other two are my shooters and they get out a lot. Love them. These guns are Performance Center Limited pistols before the Performance Center existed. And my later 52-2 was actually assembled by those gentlemen, published as per Roy Jinks.

Finally, I have a Walther GSP that is pure precision with 90 and 98 grain HBWC in .32 S&W Long Wadcutter. Fun, accurate, enjoyable pistol.

the only value of knowing or shooting the (WRONG) ammo in a gun designed for (SOMETHING ELSE) would be in an end of the world scenerio.

otherwise its silly to spend good money on a working concept only to cram fodder into it just to see what happens.
I'm trying to decode what's written here and still failing. The three guns I've just detailed were all serious commercial success stories, two of them have a strong history in sanction competition. Champions have used them to fantastic success.

the only value of knowing or shooting the (WRONG) ammo in a gun designed for (SOMETHING ELSE) would be in an end of the world scenerio.

otherwise its silly to spend good money on a working concept only to cram fodder into it just to see what happens.

I'm trying to decode what's written here and still failing.

I think its straightforward, a comment on the foolishness of shooting anything with ammo the maker specifically tells you not to use.

There are lots of guns that are made to "eat everything", and more than a few where some of the available ammunition is unsuitable, and even potentially damaging. Even possibly dangerous.

This doesn't apply to factory chamberings shooting ammo the gun maker approves of. Also be aware there is a clear difference between "we recommend" and "DO NOT USE!!"

I see the wadcutter match pistols as the ultimate "can do" statement.

Yes, we can make an autoloader that feeds a 38 wadcutter every time, and shoots all you can stuff in it into a ragged hole at 50 yards.

They are as good as it gets.

Back