Revolver Hunters: What do you use?

I’ve always wanted a big beautiful model 27 to hunt deer with. It doesn’t matter I already have a collection of 44 mags and other hunting handguns.

Go get the next gun on your wish list. You’re okay on caliber. I’ve done well with heavy.357 semi jacket soft points.

Don’t know what happened to this forum. Used to be full of enablers and fixers. Go practice with the gun you have?!?!? What kind of nonsense is that.

:confused: :eek: :D :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I use a 629 quite regularly. The key thing is practice and confidence. Granted they both go hand in hand. Can the .357 work? Sure. I’ve used a GP100 until I got comfortable with my 629. Now, I’m comfortable with my 629 to around 100yds. I didn’t get to that point over night either. It took me close to 15 years. That was also because I didn’t practice as regularly as I would’ve liked to.

I started handgun hunting 25+ years ago with a scoped Ruger Super Redhawk. I did pretty good with it over the years. My tastes have switched and I now use scoped T/C Contenders.

But, I still use a non-scoped Ruger Super Blackhawk as my short range hunting handgun.

I also have a Ruger Blackhawk and a Ruger GP100 both in .357 Magnum in my arsenal.

You already have the gun....that 7.5 inch .44. I suggest that you spend the money on ammo and practice until you are accurate with the gun as opposed to buying a new gun. (unless you just want a new gun)
Yep, in spades...we owe the game we hunt a quick and efficient demise. DRT is the goal, or with a minimal amount of trail up after the shot. A big caliber will help towards that goal. Rod

If recoil is the problem with the 44 why not buy / or if you hand load , load some 44 specials to use out of it ?. If it’s grips or trigger reach swap them out. Myself I have large hands, I landed on a set of wood hogue grips for my SRH as it had a larger palm swell to fill my hand. Lighter trigger and hammer springs are cheap as well as hammer and trigger shims.

Back