Revolver Hunters: What do you use?

DirtyHarold

Hey friends,

I hunt Whitetail every year in Michigan's lower peninsula and I'm looking to get a good hunting revolver. Those of you who hunt with revolver, whats your setup?

Currently I'm pondering the idea of a 6" .357 GP100, and I've been talking with Gemini Customs about action tuning, target crown and end shake reduction. I'm open to other ideas. What do you guys and gals think? I already own a 7.5" 44 mag that I am not so accurate with, but I own a 4" GP already that I can shoot very well, which is why I like the idea of another 357. I figured the 6" would be good for some added velocity and longer sight radius (although I would likely end up with a scope anyway).

I haven't completely ruled out a 686 but I bought a S&W revolver about a year ago that had to make several trips in for repairs so I am somewhat leery to buy another Smith... The new Python seems like it would be a good contender but those also seem to have some quality issues going on.

Thanks for your input!

practice

You already have the gun....that 7.5 inch .44. I suggest that you spend the money on ammo and practice until you are accurate with the gun as opposed to buying a new gun. (unless you just want a new gun).

Ive been shooting a Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull for about 10 years. Have put down plenty of hogs and deer out to 100 yards with no problem. It has a nice Leuplod scope on it. Went through plenty of cheap scopes that just wouldn't hold up to the big Bull.
Just bought a new Taurus Raging Hunter .44mag and put a nice AimPoint red dot scope on it about 2 months ago. Its still a virgin.
I also have a S&W Performance Center 8 shot .357 mag that I just shot my first deer with this season. It also has a AimPoint scope on it.
To me,,If your gonna shoot a .357 mag,,,,GET CLOSE! Like within 30 -40 yards.

The best advice I can give you is if your gonna hunt with a handgun,,,buy the largest caliber that you are comfortable shooting and shoot it a lot!!! Find out what ammo is most accurate and keep shooting!!! I would stay away from hollow points for hogs (I don't like them for deer either)

And have fun!!!!!!

Here is a good book from Max Prasac that you should get. It has a ton of good information about handgun hunting.

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Bore-Rev...t=p&keywords=max+prasac&qid=1579565538&sr=8-3

Lots of great choices. ..

In the past, I have used a GP-100, Super-redhawk and Super Blackhwak. Have also used a TC-Super-14, in .44 and 30/30. …. :)

Be Safe !!!

I've shot well over sixty deer with the .357mag over the last forty years (and a bunch more with other handguns/cartridges). My favorite is the SW 686/686+ using a Hornady XTP 158g and WW296 powder. I'd simply suggest putting a red dot on your 4" .357 and using that unless you just want a new gun. Keep all your shots at deer within a range where you can put all shots in a six inch circle and pass on any "iffy" shots. I have yet to lose one shot with the .357mag. If you're in the kill area you'll get the deer.

Give the Ruger Blackhawks a look of you'd like to try a nice single action. You can find scope rails that'll replace the rear sight, and trigger jobs/spring changes are simple enough.

Originally I used a S&W Model 28, 6 inch barrel, 357, and a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Magnum. But I have used a Taurus Raging Bull, 44 Magnum, 8 3/8 barrel, with a 2X scope for the last 20 years.

Killed several deer with the .357 Magnum, and not impressed. Now the .45 Colt on the other hand, puts them down with authority!

Don

Right now I’m using a 7.5” Ruger
Blackhawk in .41 mag. I handload either the 210gn Hornady xtp or the 210 gn deep curl from Speer.

It kills everything I point it at dead enough to keep me happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hey friends,

I hunt Whitetail every year in Michigan's lower peninsula and I'm looking to get a good hunting revolver. Those of you who hunt with revolver, whats your setup?

Currently I'm pondering the idea of a 6" .357 GP100, and I've been talking with Gemini Customs about action tuning, target crown and end shake reduction. I'm open to other ideas. What do you guys and gals think? I already own a 7.5" 44 mag that I am not so accurate with, but I own a 4" GP already that I can shoot very well, which is why I like the idea of another 357. I figured the 6" would be good for some added velocity and longer sight radius (although I would likely end up with a scope anyway).

I haven't completely ruled out a 686 but I bought a S&W revolver about a year ago that had to make several trips in for repairs so I am somewhat leery to buy another Smith... The new Python seems like it would be a good contender but those also seem to have some quality issues going on.

Thanks for your input!

Your 7.5” 44 Magnum sounds like the best choice.

I have a 7.5” 44 Magnum and a 454 Casull. I also have a 9.5” 44 Magnum and an 8 3/8” S&W 460 XVR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Killed several deer with the .357 Magnum, and not impressed.
I've never had an issue.
A properly placed shot drops them every time.
Just as well as typical centerfire rifle calibers often used by hunters.

While this topic is about handguns...
One of the main reasons I switched to 357 Magnum long guns for hunting is that I found they do just as well as "bigger" calibers (often anecdotally better), without the recoil, blast, cost, etc. The vast majority of my hunting is done at short range, 100 or less, so I have no concerns about range. That transferred over to my handgun use as well.

I have successfully taken Russian hogs with a variety of handguns...BFR 45/70, Smith model 29 44 mag, Smith 329 44 mag, Ruger Blackhawk 45 colt, and even a Ruger 9mm. Generally, the larger bores work just fine.

BOARHUNTER

Killed several deer with the .357 Magnum, and not impressed. Now the .45 Colt on the other hand, puts them down with authority!
How much deader are they? If you said you hit a bunch that didn't die it would make some sense. Dead is dead.....

"...already own a 7.5" 44 mag..." Which one? It's kind of important. It'd be your best option depending on how well it fits your hand and the ammo used. The trigger pull matters too.
"...end shake reduction..." That's not a mechanical thing. It's usually about one's upper body tone. Not using a rest will do it too.

Until laws changed and purchases made, I didn't own a handgun to take deer legally in my state. But I did use my fathers 3 screw .357 6" to take a whitetail years ago. He used that same gun to harvest 2 whitetails in one day 30 years ago.

I now have a 686 and Super Redhawk I'm looking forward to using.

I hunt exclusively with revolvers and currently have revolvers from .44 Mag all the way up through .500 S&W Mag depending on what I am hunting. For deer I really like something that is fast stepping and violently expanding. I prefer that the deer goes down immediately (even though that is not always possible). Depending on range, I like my .454 BFR as it can be loaded up or down. Nothing wrong with a .357 but it doesn't leave much margin for error. There are better choices IMHO.

DSC_0249_1.jpg

Last edited:
Back