Revolver Hunters: Scope or Red Dot

+1 for the Ultradot's. If I were going to put a scope instead, I'd go with a fixed power x4, but make sure it has proper eye relief.

Definitely the Ultra Dot. If you decide to go with a scope, I'd suggest a 2x Leupold extended relief handgun scope. Have one on a Super Redhawk.

I assume you may be using some “Ruger Only” hot handloads. In that case, l would use a scope to increase the mass of the gun to tame recoil and help you see in dim conditions.

I am also a huge fan of UltraDot and that’s on my Norinco TT Olympia .22

What I learned over the years is how often I shot sticks and tree branches between me and my deer. I’ve bagged half a dozen trophy sticks, sometimes with a tight group! With a scope, it’s easier to not see the tree branches.

Having used both, I now use iron sights.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Most helpful. In the end I decided to run with a red dot. I liked the options of a dot or scope type setting on the Ultradots. Decided to run with the Ultradot Matchdot II and Weaver 301 mount. I have a bore sight for zeroing and have done so at 50 yards. Hopefully make it to the range this week to see how close I am on zero and set her up.

Thanks again!

PeMM6hs.jpg

Have shot 3 deer with a handgun, all with iron sights. See no need to change what I'm doing.

Don

Back