Revolver for the first time buyer.

I would NOT buy the LCR for your purposes. It's a great revolver. But having owned one, I can say it has a fair amount of recoil even in 38 spl. The LCR with 357 loads is brutal. Especially going to be true if you have arthritis.
The best choices, IMO would be: a S&W model 10, 64 or 66, or a Security six/Speed six/Service six. All of these should be available in your price range. If you can come up with another $150-200, I would get a 4" S&W 686+.

You need to decide you goals.

If it is truely a carry gun, you want something small enough that you will carry it. I would go with J frame S&W with 38+P or Ruger LCR in 357, you can fire 38s if they bother your hand.

LCR is bigger than my J frame.

I would get concealed hammer that can only be fired double action. Be honest with yourself, this is for carrying not shooting. But I find mine shoots fine DA.

Also Ruger SP101 357, little pricier. I am not a huge fan, but not a bad gun either.

If I wanted bigger I would look at S&W 686 or 586 357, can maybe find one used for $500. 4" would be nice shooter and so-so carry gun. Probably get left home to much though.

AS mentioned, I would look at Charter Arms too. I really like 44 special, and they make one in snubnose. Though ammo is not as common, unless your reload. I think one of the best rounds. You can usually find one box. Just not alot of grain choices, unless you go with Bufallo Bore.

Be honest with yourself, and decided if you want to carry it, or leave it home and shoot targets. If you are not you will have multiple guns, one smaller than the last. Which is what happened to me. Luckily I like them all.

You also come across some old police S&W 38s. Check year to make sure can handle +P.

But with your hands, probably only fire a heavier load when you need to save your life, and in that case, its ok to do so.

I'll second the comments about the recoil of a LCR. Same goes for a Smith 442/642. You'll want a steel-framed gun. If the prices hadn't gotten stupidly excessive, a Colt Detective would be a good choice. A used Model 36/60 may do. If you can do a 4" barrel, there are lots of Model 10s out there. Shorter barrel Model 10s go for much higher.

I hope you at least give the LCR a try. Even the DAO trigger is not all that stiff, and very smoothe.
The is absolutely no need to break the bank on an expensive "status symbol" gun when there are very good choices in your price range.
For ammo in 38 Spcl. I would suggest giving this a try.
http://m.hornady.com/store/38-Special-90-gr-FTX-Critical-Defense-lite/
Don't be put off by the pink packaging, and pink polymer tip. Hornady's marketing of this ammo is directed mainly toward the ladies. Just be a "secure male" as they say, and carry pink.:D

Not quite understanding the suggestions of a brick like a 686 for concealed carry. Very fine gun, but a solid chunk of stainless steel that weighs a ton compared to a J frame, Charter Arms, or LCR.
Also considerably higher priced than the expressed budget of the OP.

As much as I love revolvers, based on what you are looking for, I would not be looking at revolvers if it was me. At least, not unless you were going to consider dropping a criteria.

-Something with the ability to be cocked by hand rather than a DAO. I've got rheumatoid arthritis which make it difficult for me to pull a double action trigger if the weather is too hot, too cold, or too humid.
-Something with relatively low recoil(.38 special or .327 magnum maybe) for the same reason.
-Under $500(I'm broke, with student loan payments on the horizon and a career of adjuncting to look forward to)
-With plenty of aftermarket support for holsters and such.

So, you are going to be teaching in a college or university? If you plan to carry at work, there are considerations you need to think about. Academia is not always very pro-gun. Depending upon what state you live in, it may not even be legal for you to carry at work. So, either way (possibly illegal, if not, then legal but frowned upon by the powers that be, ie. those who you will count on to either eventually give you a tenure-track job down the line or be a reference for a tenure-track job with another institution) you will need it to be as concealable as possible.

However, small and concealable revolvers (like the J-frame) aren't particularly comfortable to shoot with a steel frame, and the alloy and polymer versions can be outright painful. That is without arthritis. One way to get around that is to go smaller in the caliber, but do you really want to trust your life to .22lr? Going .327mag and using .32H&R mag (or finding an old .32H&R mag) may work, but from what I read you'll still be around .38spl recoil. If you are set on a revolver, look for all steel, and buying a good aftermarket grip that fills your hand well will help with recoil. I'd go 3", it is a little heavier, and thus better on recoil, and with an IWB holster the extra inch of barrel will disappear down your pants. With the right combo, it may still work for your combination of arthritis and thus recoil management needs plus concealment needs.

With your arthritis, it sounds like a 3" K-frame or L-frame would be a good all around gun. Enough recoil absorption that you'll likely be fine with it, but small enough to conceal. Though, it isn't a deep concealment gun so if it was me, I wouldn't want to conceal it at a place of work which may be hostile to carry. So, it would be a good option for you if you don't carry at work. Though, a 3" K-frame or a new L-frame won't likely be found under $500.

If I was in your situation, I'd look towards a SAO (though those are mostly 1911s and not cheap), or a striker fired auto. Most striker fired handguns don't have a particularly heavy trigger pull. A used Glock will be well under $500, and a new one won't be much over that in many areas ($500-600 depending upon your area). Online, the S&W M&P compact can be had right around $400 from several online retailers right now (add shipping and FFL fees and you are still under, maybe well under, $500). Get a 9mm instead of a .45 or .40 and recoil will be quite manageable. A double stack this size should conceal well, a single stack like the M&P Shield will completely disappear in something like a tuckable IWB holster (though the double stack will be better on recoil).

Anyway, your best bet is to get to a range with rentals and try out a few guns. Try the small framed revolvers if that is what you want, you may find they will work for you or you may not, but you won't know until you try them. If they don't work, try a larger revolver (though you may need to forget carrying at work unless you get really good at concealment) and try some striker fired autos. Until then, you won't really know what will and won't work for you.

Last edited:
Oh, as for revolver ammo, wadcutters are great at the range, but not for self-defense. They are downloaded for low recoil, but they may not penetrate enough in a self defense situation. You also should ideally have expanding ammo. If you want old-school, I'm a fan of the old FBI load- 158gr SWCHP (semi-wadcutters, hollow point). Otherwise one of the newer low-recoil and/or short barrel JHP designs (I like Speer Gold Dot quite a bit) may be best.

Back