Revolver capacity...what do you think?

Cause a 12 is a one shot fight stopper 95+ percent of the time. The revolver ain't, even the .500.

That's a good point. It's also generally easier to control a long gun in a stressful situation as well.

That said, most times of the year, I carry a five shot J frame in .38 Special.

I'm not giving up stopping power in a life or death situation trying to save my hearing. Model 27's, 19's, Troopers and Security Six's were fine and top choices not to long ago. Every time a new defensive cartridge is made it is compared against the ancient 125gr 357magnum.

The reason automatic pistols are so popular with new shooters right now is because that is what the police carry.

Or it might be semi-automatics are much easier to shoot well with, more controllable in rapid fire, hold more rounds, just as powerful, have very good ammo selection, more compact, flatter, and most are quite reliable.

Deaf

from what I have seen....young pistol shooters are in the "spray and pray" auto crowd...older/mature shooters know it will only take one or two...from a revolver

from what I have seen....young pistol shooters are in the "spray and pray" auto crowd...older/mature shooters know it will only take one or two...from a revolver

True...... it also seems that the younger/newer ccw crowd seems convinced that they are going to be attacked by a relentless crowd of huge muscular maniacs who are high on meth and therefore they absolutely "need" at least 30 rounds on their person at all times.

I'm as big of a revolver fan as you're going to find. I even carry a 686+ in the cooler months when I can layer up for concealment.

But revolvers are not my first choice for home defense. Specifically, the 357 Magnum. I'm fine with the 6 round capacity - I plan on hitting what I aim at (I know I know - defense situation, adrenaline, fear, etc). I'm more than fine with the potency. I also really like the "point n click" simplicity.

But the showstopper for me is THE NOISE. 357 Magnums are just too darn loud for the confines of a home. I believe a lot of the noise emanates from the barrel/cylinder gap, btw; thus, precluding just about any revolver IMO.

Nope. For this revolver guy, nightstand duty goes to my Springfield 1911. The 45 ACP, being a low pressure round, is a good deal less punishing on the ears. I run 230's because the heavier the bullet, the less report. And they have plenty of stopping power. My decision was made years ago.

While I have nostalgic feelings when I shoot and handle my revolvers, I would never pick one over a full size semi-auto, shotgun, or defensive rifle.

Capacity, speed of reloads, ease of shooting accurately, and a host of other reasons make full size semi-autos a good choice for defensive use.

Chief357 said:
Yea someone can always argue......well what if you get attacked by a gang of 12 people who are all 6'6 300 lbs, who are wearing bullet proof vests, and are high on meth and they keep attacking even though you're shooting them........... well, maybe in that case a small revolver wouldn't be enough..... but outside of those types of situations.....

I am always amazed by the folks who carry two pistols (typically a 15+ round capacity and a "backup gun" in an ankle holster), 4 extra magazines, two pocket knives, a bowie knife, a super bright flashlight, brass knuckles, and pepper spray on their body everywhere they go.

I wonder when I read those how much of it is internet bravado and how much actually happens. I also wonder what scenario exactly one is preparing for that they need nearly an entire box of ammunition ready to go, multiple back-up firearms, and a "its desperate" pocket knife or tactical pen.

Then I wonder - how does one train for such a scenario?

I get it. Somewhere there is some extreme event where I win the lotto, somehow this large group of thugs knows it and sets in ambush for me high on drugs. But for some reason they only bring knives??

Revolver capacity?

I usually carry a 5 shot snub nose .38 every day every where. After looking at the most likely trouble I might face I find the little five shot fits best. The concielability and the tactics for using a snub revolver fit my needs best.

For most of the time I'm tooling around a quiet bedroom community, shopping walking, visiting, going about normal things... With my job, I'm often called out at odd hours and sometimes in dicey places. When this happens I will allways up-gun to a second 5 shot, a six shot revolver or to a Browning High Power.

Just my opinion but firearm style and capacity and tactics should be driven by the real world threat a person face.... not on some statistics to anyone could end up being the exception...

At one time I had a 12 gauge with an 18" barrel, loaded with 00 buckshot next to the bed. I then went to a 6 shot .357 because of controllability inside my home. Then a 9mm with 17+1. Then a carbine, but I am most comfortable with and confident in my 10+1 of 9 mm EDC. I have all the other options readily available if needed. I am one of those who really like revolvers, but am better with a semiautomatic. I am faster on target, more accurate, and can reload in a fraction of the time I take with a revolver.

Why don't young shooters like revolvers....because in the video games, the revolvers are level 1 weapons - and they earn their way up to poly frame high capacity semi-autos.../ so they think revolvers are entry level and old fashioned...

Personally I have no issue with a revolver as a very good Defensive gun at home or on my belt...and I like the .357 Mag a lot ( I favor 158gr JHP's ) ....but I have no problem with something like a S&W model 19, 686 or a 28 in 6 shot capacity ...but I also have a pair of the new S&W model 627's ( 8 shot .357 Mag )...in a 2 5/8" and a 5" performance center gun. I like the idea of the N frames a little better ( fits my hands better ) so the model 27, 28 or 627 ...would be my choice in a revolver - as a nightstand gun ---- and I did carry the model 627 2 5/8" barrel a few weeks ago in a Kramer leather IWB with a forward FBI tilt --- and its really no different, to me, than carrying a K frame in .357 Mag / but 99% of the time I carry a full sized 5" 1911 in 9mm ( 10 + 1 capacity )...

Noise of firing a shot inside the home ...is the last thing I'd ever worry about...and I would never pick a defensive gun based on noise.

Yea someone can always argue......well what if you get attacked by a gang of 12 people who are all 6'6 300 lbs, who are wearing bullet proof vests, and are high on meth and they keep attacking even though you're shooting them........... well, maybe in that case a small revolver wouldn't be enough..... but outside of those types of situations...

Understanding that your hyperbole is deliberate, it doesn't take a dire situation to justify more capacity than five rounds for a carry gun. Considering that handgun rounds often take at least two or three good hits to get a stop, a couple of misses, an attacker with above-average abilities or determination, or a second attacker can all run a defender out of ammo if s/he is carrying a five- or six-round revolver, or for that matter a pocket pistol of similar capacity.

I think the case is stronger for a HD revolver, where a defender can hole up in a good position and be more efficient with fire, and more likely induce a retreat for the reasons previously brought up, than as a carry handgun. You don't have to look far to find folks who disagree with me and use revolvers for EDC, though. Personally, I went to a pistol a few years back after several years of concealing a snub-nosed revolver, but this is the revolver forum, after all.;)

The way I've come to see it is there will always be a situation possible where your chosen weapon is not the best option, whether that situation is concocted in hypothetical scenarios or actually takes place.

That is a simple fact of life whereby you can't have all bases absolutely covered.

As such I try to cover the most plausible, rather than the most outrageous. From that perspective, a revolver would be good insurance.

Back