Revisiting Self Defense "Insurance"

This, from the link:....

"In Texas, a person can justifiably and potentially use deadly force against another individual if: he or she believes deadly force was necessary at the moment, believes he protected him or herself against attempted deadly force, prevented an act of kidnapping, homicide, rape, aggravated rape, robbery, or aggravated robbery."

...is a rether sloppy way of summarizing the law. Do not overlook fact that the defender must produce evidence showing a basis for that belief, and that said belisf must be considered reasonable (by others).

This....

"Texas' castle doctrine, or castle law, protects you from legal troubles if you are ever placed in a situation where you have to use force or deadly force to protect yourself against an intruder who poses a threat. ..."

...is only true if you define "protects you from legal troubles" as not requring you to go through a complete trial if you are aa able to convince the court in an immunity hearing that a preponderance of the evidence supports your case.

Getting through that immunity hearing will cost a lot of money

This....

"And the law is going to assume you had the right to do so."​

...is not true at all.

If you can produce a written statement of Andrew Branca's that he is willing to work for you, then you've got me. I know better than to pin my hopes on someone like Andrew. It would be foolish to even consider his estimate of something about which he knows nothing. He certainly knows absolutely nothing about you or me. He can pull any number he wants out of thin air and he probably puts those kind of numbers on the bills he send to fools, but what difference does it make if he won't do anything for you? Find someone who is actually willing to help you, to do anything for you at all, and then discuss price with them, rather than some dude on Youtube that won't give you the time of day.

If you can produce a written statement of Andrew Branca's that he is willing to work for you, then you've got me.
You can get that by subscribing to his Consult service.

He will not represent you (he may not be licensed to practice law in your particular state) but he will provide valuable advice to your principal attorney.

I know better than to pin my hopes on someone like Andrew. It would be foolish to even consider r his estimate of something about which he knows nothing.
Know nothing? Really!

He certainly knows absolutely nothing about you or me.
What does that have to do with it?

He can pull any number he wants out of thin air and he probably puts those kind of numbers on the bills he send to fools,...
He sends bills to defense attorneys who have availed themselves of his help. The bills are based on hourly rates.

And he knows what those attorneys have had to charge, at every step along the way,

...but what difference does it make if he won't do anything for you?
What's that all about?

Find someone who is actually willing to help you, to do anything for you at all, and then discuss price with them,...
We are discussing the legal defense of self defense here. There are very few attorneys with any experience in that subject.

That's why your attorney will requre the expertise of people who do. That costs money.

And so do the expert witnesses and iinvestigators that your attorney will need.

I'm going to trust an insurance company to pay cost after the fact? Good luck. Thinking this will happen, reimbursement, is a dream from Cloud Cuckoo land. All the do-do house lawyer stuff will land in the outhouse sump. This insurance goes along with hats, knives from China and cheap range bags. How would you bet on disputed legal fees and the like?:eek:

I'm going to trust an insurance company to pay cost after the fact? Good luck. Thinking this will happen, reimbursement, is a dream from Cloud Cuckoo land. All the do-do house lawyer stuff will land in the outhouse sump. This insurance goes along with hats, knives from China and cheap range bags. How would you bet on disputed legal fees and the like?:eek:
Isn't that what you are doing with medical, dental, automobile, homeowner's/renter's and nearly all other insurance? If you're rich enough to pay for all of it on your on then congrats on your prosperity.

First up: I apologize as my comments were not aimed at anybody who has posted here. No offense was intended.

1MoreFord: Right, I do have medical insurance. The coverage for services is very specific. There are certain standards that must be met. I do not pay upfront. With Medicare these things are more certain. Evidently, you have never negotiated a settlement for a claim with an insurance company. You will have a wake up call in your future. It would help to have some documented evidence of claims being paid on policies being discussed in this tread. What really happens would be helpful.

Also, I have a bias against analogies. These things tend to derail threads. We start with a a certain topic and end up talking about toaster ovens.:eek:

Back