Review your Single Actions

Many years ago I picked up an Italian single action clone of a SAA. I found it to have a rather rough action and I never really warmed up to it. Now I will freely admit that I am not a single action guy. While I know there are many others that like them, the grip angle on the classic SA does not fit my hand well with heavier calibers so that may have been part of my problem with that gun. I do know that the newer Italian Colt replicas seem to be much better made, but they sometimes still need to be slicked up a bit.

Several years ago I saw a NIB Colt Frontier Six Shooter at a gun store and suddenly got a burning urge to own another single action revolver and bought it on the spot. I can say that this one is everything that the old Italian copy wasn't. I was smooth right out of the box and since it is in 44WCF it is a creampuff to shoot. I found out later that it is kind of a rare bird as it has the Blackpowder style frame and the three line patent date roll mark like those made in the 1880's.

I don't have the urge to buy any more single actions, but I can say that this one is staying with me.
IMG_0347-L.jpg

IMG_1073-L.jpg

Thanks for all the photos.
You guys sure have some beauties.
Even though my formative years were all about sixguns, the only one I have is a Remington 1858.
Long ago, I made the switch to more modern and faster shooting pistoles.
But sixguns will always live in my imagination.
They are purely American.
Must be all those tv and movie Westerns I watch.
(Youtube has tons of them).

So far all I have is a Super Blackhawk, 1976,Ruger Single Six.22 , a Uberti Stainless 1875 .45 Colt, and 1998 Ruger stainless Vaquero.45 Colt in single actions.
The Uberti locks up tight with no play in any direction, cocked or hammer down, and hardly noticeable markings.
Tried a Uberti Cattleman with case hardened "finish" and blued cylinder and barrel. It was as loose as a goose.
Been considering having the Ruger engraved. Found one example, I liked and ad quoted 1200.00. So maybe later.

I currently have the following Single Actions -

Uberti 1851 Navy - cap and ball - I've owned a number of '51s over the past 50 + years of different makes - the Uberit I have is one of the best I've owned - well built and accurate

Pietta NMA 1858 - .36 Navy - excellent revolver - well made and shoots great

Uberti - 1874 Cattleman - 7 1/2" - 45 Colt - well built, excellent shooter - all it gets are my lead reloads - shoots very well out to 50 yards which is the furthest I have ttested it so far

Uberty - .357 4 3/4" "Bisley" - beautiful revolver - well made - a joy to shoot and accurate - my favorite SA in 38 - normally I shoot 38 special out of it - lead reloads

Ruger - vintage "Super Bearcat" - 22 - probably made in the 70's - nice little revolver but it doesn't get shot much - my wife likes to shoot it when I can get her to go shooting

Ruger - 357 New Model Vaquero - 5 1/2" - a well made revolver but it has the typical Ruger "tight throats" - I need to get them reamed - it doesn't get shot much now as I have had accuracy problems due to the throats - all I shoot in it is lead reloads - much prefer my Uberti "Bisley". This one will probably end up getting sold as I would like to get a Uberti (from Taylor's) that is chambered in 32-20 (32 WCF) as I am all set up to cast and reload for that cartridge

I am not overly fond of single action revovlers but owned and shot a few. Currently I have a beautiful Pietta and a Ruger NV. The .357 Mag Ruger is well made and shoots well, it is a very solid gun and is backed by a great warranty. I would rate the Freedom Arms as the best of them all qualitywise.

fFWdoblh.jpg

I want a Colt. I know nothing about them at all but want one. What model is affordable? It can be old or new, I don't care but I want one. Preferably with a 4" or 5" barrel.

How bout some help.

I've got four single actions.

A Pietta 1851 Navy. Either something isn't quite right with the gun or I'm just not very good with the disassembly. It shoots fine but the wedge is super tight and one of the pins that indexes the barrel to the frame is broken and the other is bent. I've had other Colt clones before and never had the troubles I've had with this one.

A Pietta Remington clone in .44. For me, this is a great shooter.

A three screw Ruger Single Six in .22 mag. I love it and am looking for a .22 lr cylinder to go with it.

A Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 magnum. It's a fun shooter and I killed an eight point buck with it the year before last.

I want a Colt. I know nothing about them at all but want one. What model is affordable? It can be old or new, I don't care but I want one. Preferably with a 4" or 5" barrel.

One has to define affordable when talking about Colt single actions. The third generation models are the least expensive and judging by completed auctions on Gunbroker, can be had for as little as $1250. Also Colts chambered in .357 seem to bring less than those in .45 Colt.

I bought mine six years ago for $1100 still NIB although made in 1984. I have seen some well worn Colts go for as little as a grand.

Only Rugers Here

Have owned a Ruger of some description since 1973. Currents are: 44 Stainless Super Blackhawk, 44 Special Lipsey's Bisley, 45 Colt Stainless Bisley, 41Mag Bisley, and 22/WMR Bisley. They all have Bowen Rough Country Rear Sights, Belt Mountain Base Pins, and Trigger jobs.

My pics on Photobucket won't show up anymore on this site, so please delete this post.

Last edited:
I've had several Rugers, and a beautiful case and blue Colt SAA. Now only have a Freedom Arms Premier Grade .454, with extra cylinder in 45 ACP, and a Ruger Single Six. The Freedom Arms is the finest and most accurate revolver I've ever owned. The Ruger, not so much;)

Attachments

• Big 45 (640x480).jpg
    Big 45 (640x480).jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 29
  • .22 Mag. (4).JPG
    .22 Mag. (4).JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 19
Back