Research Help-1970's Handgun

In the 70-80s real cops carried revolvers.

My dept. (Anchorage PD), issued the Model 28s or Model 13s for the ladies).

I did carry a 2" Model 10 off duty.

My choice would be either a 2 1/2 in Nickel Colt Python or a 2 1/2 in S&W nickel model 19 357 mag .Those were the most sought after revolvers back in the 70's .Other choices would have been a Colt Detective special or a S&W model 60 ,both 38 specials

A fictional character in a fictional story, altho it should be historically correct, would probably carry what folks think is the coolest in the time period they are reading it, as compared to what was most appropriate at the time. This is the reason you are getting so many "nickle-plated Python" replies.

this is about that vintage, & fits in a desk drawer ;)

attachment.php

or this :D one of the 1st 50's

attachment.php

What I DO remember being hot was S&W Mod. 29, The Wildey and Auto Mag… Well, also that New .357 auto out of Israel :)

We carried Smith & Wesson Model 10, 38s. (4 in. barrel).

That's from a retired LE ranger that I know. He became a ranger/historian afterward and is retiring soon from the NPS.

BTW, the Israeli park rangers also carry (as does one teacher on any field trip).

Colt Diamondback - A collector would have one.

Don't forget the Colt Diamondback 38 Special

I am replying to post #1 from K.Benjamen, not the merged, added thread.

Webleymkv's excellent list (post #3) left out the Colt Diamondback. As a collector, your character might be interested in high-quality revolvers. The Diamondback (I believe it is the first of Colt's famous line of "Snake" guns, Diamondback, Python and Anaconda, 38, .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum) was revered for its fine finish (including the Colt Royal Blue) and superb acccuracy.

Good luck with your writing

Lost Sheep

Early 80's the S&W 586 and 686 were tough to find. Pythons were plentiful.
A nickel 586 would be a "wow" gun for that era.

I got my first handgun about that time. I WANTED a Python, but ended up with a Model 19. Even then a Python cost about twice what a Model 19 did, but Pythons were still thought of as working guns. Rugers Speed/Security-Sixs were popular too.

I thought of Model 10's as cheap, underpowered and old fashioned...something you'd buy if you didn't know any better. :o

I remember seeing Model 28's for sale, but I don't remember ever seeing a Model 27...They may have just been out of my price range so I never really even looked for them. A 44 Magnum...:eek: No way I was shooting one of those. ;) :D

The only people I ever saw shooting semi-auto were the IPSC people. They were almost universally Colt 1911's (Government Models, or Gold Cups), or Browning Hi-Powers, with a handful of Smith & Wesson Model 39/59's seen from time to time. Wait...I remember now that I worked security back then. I carried an issue Model 10 (cheap,underpowered, and old fashioned, remember), but one night an undercover cop worked with me. He carried a Browning Hi-Power in a SOB holster. Man, he KNEW his stuff. :D

P-38's and Lugers were things that old guys had brought back from the war, not something you really used. I remember hearing that "Old man so and so" had one, but never shot it.

Anything else showed up in the Shooters Bible or Gun Digest, but not on store shelves.

Last edited:
Thank you all again for your help. I have looked into every suggestion with care, and believe I have come to a decision. I do have a couple more questions, though.

For the first character, I think I will go with the Colt Diamondback, nickel plated, 4 inch barrel. I'm not sure it has the same "wow" factor as the python or S&W 586, but I think it fits for the purpose he has it. I also like the smaller size.
As for the second character, the ranger, I am sticking with the Sig P210, even though it's not Austrian. He's been through Europe, and it really fits his character well.

So here are the questions. How easy/difficult would it have been in the early 70's for an American (in America) to purchase the Sig? (He's a very if there's a will there's a way sort of guy). Also, with both of these guns, at what range would it be nearly impossible for someone to miss a human-sized target. They are both confident-enough shooters (especially the ranger), but they are also both highly stressed. And last, are there any details I should pay special attention to on these firearms?

Thanks again, I cannot tell you how helpful this is.

K. Benjamen

I know by the mid '70s Interarms of Alexandria Virginia imported the .45 ACP Sig-Sauer as the Browning Double Action. The magazine release was at the bottom of the grip ala European magazine release.

As far as Diamondbacks, you better confirm that a National Park Service law enforcement ranger was authorized to carry a firearm other than the departmental issue S&W Model 10.

at what range would it be nearly impossible for someone to miss a human-sized target.
A couple of inches.
No kidding.
Ok, maybe a slight exaggeration, but the number of misses from fairly close distances is huge in most shootouts, civilian or police.
Something like 85% of the rounds fired miss the intended target, according to the folks who keep track of such things.
Do a web search and check it out for yourself, of course.
But those numbers stick in my pea-brain.
Here's one source that seems dependable:
http://www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/Aveni/OIS.pdf from the 1990s.
There's lots more out there.

Think I saw my first P210 at a Kansas City gun show in the mid 80's. BDA's and ultimately the P220 started popping up stateside in the late 70's. They are all fine pistols.

Back