Replacing my Glock 19 with S&W M&P 2.0

Tibult

I have been carrying a Glock 19 Gen 3 for over a year and I found a pistol that exceeded my expectations the M&P 2.0. Few days a ago I go to the range with my Glock 19 with XS big dot night sights and a brand new S&W M&P 2.0 4 inch barrel standard 3 dot white sights to shoot two silhouette targets out to 15 yards with similar ammunition. The 19 had a few flyers on the bottom of the silhouette, a few 10 ring hits, mainly 7-8 ring high and low left groups. M&P 2.0 had most of the shots in the high left 9 ring with several 10 ring center hits. Both pistols did not choke on any shots and performed well but the 19 would eject some cases into my face which was irritating but no cause for alarm. I will take the M&P 2.0 to the range again for another session to see how accurate I am out to 25 yards.

I dont train for hundreds of rounds per week (expensive,time limited) so I am not an expert in pistol shooting not an amateur either. I do believe both guns are equally mechanically accurate but one is more forgiving then the other with trigger control,Inexperienced shooter, and sight alignment. And since I have more shooting experience with the Glock 19 I thought I would be more accurate with it but was proven wrong with the M&P.I will replace the Glock 19 with the M&P 2.0 since I preferred the ergonomics and I can probably get even better shot groups easier with less rounds it would take with the Glock 19 to get as good.
Any one here replace their Glock 19 for a M&P 2.0?

I don't know that you can ignore the difference in sights when comparing your results. The goal is to isolate as many variables as possible. I'm not a huge fan of XS Big Dots, though I get the idea, and I don't think precision shooting at 15 yds is really their place to shine (though yes I've seen the video of them being shot at 100 yds).

I have both pistols, in fact two Gen 5 G19s (two Gen 3s before that) and two M&P 2.0 Compacts. I think they're both good pistols. I honestly dont think that in stock configuration one is notably better than the other in terms of trigger or mechanical accuracy. The weak ejection on the Glocks is something that annoys me, and frankly only seems to be an issue on Glocks for me. It's one reason I picked up the second 2.0 Compact as I planned to replace my Glocks. However, after spending more time with them I shoot the Glocks better at slowfire and my shot recovery is better, which allows me shorter times when I run back to back drills with the two designs. I think part of it is the result of years of shooting Glocks, but frankly I've seen the same years ago as well (I've owned a lot of both designs). Idk.

Now me being better with Glocks says nothing about how well you will do. I completely understand your reasoning. I think I would simply suggest a few more trials and maybe more similar sights when you compare. I've been in the same boat as you and often ended picking up both pistols as I usually learned the hard way that yes there was a reason I had bought the pistol I chose to replace.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have about ten years experience shooting and owning different Glocks 17 gen 3,19 gen 2&3,21sf gen 3,22 gen 4,23-Gen 3&4,26 gen 3,30 gen 3,30s gen 3,42,43.
The Glocks I shot the best are the 30,22,and 26.
All of them were with standard factory sights with similar results that the M&P did but at 10 yards.

Okay I'm not sure what to gain from that info. I honestly don't think one has an advantage in mechanical accuracy. Which one you interface with better is another matter.

I used to have a Glock 19 but I switched to the M&P 2.0 compact too. I liked the trigger on the Glock better, but the ergos on the S&W fit me way better. Grip angle and what not.

Tibult: said:
Any one here replace their Glock 19 for a M&P 2.0?

The M&P 2.0 Compact is a fine piece, although I much prefer the M&P 2.0 Shield, but I like my Walther PPS-M2 better than the Shield.

The other guns which do not replace, but which do share carry duty with my Gen3 19 is my HK P2000 v3 9mm and my CZ P-01.

Last edited:
Probably more than any other pistol introduced in the past 5 years, the M&P 2.0 Compact had (and maybe has?) me tempted to trade in my G19. I just can't bring myself to trade in a known, well-functioning pistol, for an unknown one. If I come into some $$$ and can buy one, I will.

I have both. I wish I had bought the 5” 2.0 because I don’t see the compact replacing the 19 for carry.
6db4b396c88d7fd347ec7ad267519ee1.heic

Nice shooting Stang, what distance? Looks like it's a wash as to which is more accurate in your hands.

Does the the M&P 2.0 Compact come with night sights (tritium type)? That'd be an important part of my decision if switching. My wife has a G23 (with an extra Storm Lake 9mm bbl. & mags for cheaper practice), likes the feel of it, and shoots it very well. For her, the only thing we'd change out are the sights,ie. to Glock's version of tritium night sights, essential on a defensive pistol IMHO.

In the G23's favor too, is the picatinny rail on the MP...neither of us really likes that type as it hangs up on leather holsters. The G23's is a better design in that regard, though either gun seems to be OK in Kydex.

Rod

Last edited:
stangbangr: said:
I have both. I wish I had bought the 5” 2.0 because I don’t see the compact replacing the 19 for carry.

When you can shoot both guns that well, you keep both!

All that matters is hitting the targets and with practice you can do that with either gun!

Either pistol can be bought with night sights already installed, or installed after the fact.

I have a 19x and the 4.25" M&P 2.0 9mm. I like both equally, BUT the 19x constantly plunks me with brass. Minor annoyance? Yes... until you get one down your collar. The M&P launches brass up and out perfectly every time. I'm not real happy about Glock Perfection, especially after finding out Brass to Face is a common problem with 9mm Glock pistols.

Right now, the M&P 2.0 is available from the factory with night sights, ONLY in the Law Enforcement package.

Attachments

• IMG_1035.jpg
    IMG_1035.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 69
I'm a Glock guy but have recently bought a S&W M&P .45 2.0. I found it to be accurate and low in recoil.

I used to own a M&P9c 1.0 that was very inaccurate so this was a pleasant surprise. I think S&W got it right with the 2.0 guns.

You can find a number of distributors online that will sell that LE package M&P with night sights to civilians.

As for the brass in the face with Glocks, FWIW I have found that hotter ammo is typically much better. A while back I switched to shooting 124 gr ammo at 1150 fps +. It's closer to my defensive loads in feel and with the ammo market like it is currently it's not overly expensive, but still more expensive than some alternatives to be fair. I've never had brass to the face with the Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST I usually carry, and if I did have that repeatedly I'd consider something else (ammo or pistol). Even then the ejection isn't as consistent as the M&P 2.0. If you look at the two next to each other the M&P has a much beefier extractor.

I considered both guns when I bought my 19. The M&P, IMO, just didn't feel the same as what I had been used to. I didn't like the aesthetics of it, I preferred the clean, straight, discreet lines and surfaces of the glock.

Since I have fired them both, I believe that the glock is still the right one for me. The glock has instinctive aim, with the sights on target when I raise it. The two are practically identical as far as difficulty of stripping and cleaning. shooting quality by a very informal session seemed to be identical.

I NEVER wanted to buy a glock. I found myself there because the steel frame options were impossible, and the other polymer actions seemed to just be less qualified. I don't know if you actually can make a mistake choosing either one, the idea would be to buy based on fit and handling, and fire control system.

It is almost a Ford Truck vs Chevy Truck.

Neither of which is as good as a DODGE truck. JK

I carried a G19 as an issued pistol all over the world. Stuck with it after i came back stateside. Gave it up for a 2.0compact, which i just flat out shoot better.

I also made the switch from a Glock 19 gen 4 to a S&W M&P9 2.0, and now a S&W M&P40C 2.0. I can shoot the Glock pretty well, aside from a slight high-and-left (1 inch by 1 inch) POI out to 15 yards. But the S&Ws hit right in front of the front sights, I like the triggers slightly better, and S&Ws just fit my hands better. I particularly like the palm swell, something the Glock lacks.

Also, the Glock doesn't like about 7% of my reloads, whereas the Smiths from my Shield on up will eat anything I feed them.

I'm keeping the Glock (for now), but it's definitely been replaced at the range and on my hip by the Smiths.

I've had multiple Glocks for years. I ran across a very good deal on a M&P 45 Compact and liked it enough to buy a 2.0 in 9mm. I started out to buy the compact, but got a much better price on the full size. It isn't that much bigger, 1/4" longer barrel and 1/4" longer grip. For my intended uses the size doesn't matter.

The 1st gen M&P's had enough reliability issues that I'll just have to wait and see how the new Smiths hold up. But other than that unknown I do like the guns. But I ain't selling the Glocks just yet.

For me the advantage to the M&P is that they offer a 1911 style safety, both of mine have that feature. I'm used to a 1911 and it is perfectly natural to me. I have no issues with my Glock or any other gun with no safety as long as it is in a holster. But I like the idea of a 1911 style safety on a nightstand or glove box gun. That is the role I had in mind when buying them and don't mind the larger size.

Back