Repair question for the Uberti gurus

Ozzieman,
The barrel/cylinder clearance is best checked in "fired" position which is hammer down, cylinder locked and pulling the cylinder all the way to the rear.
The reason is, the recoil ring (especially on brass frames) may have a pattern imprinted in it from the rear of the cylinder. This would obviously give improper readings if checked with the cylinder out of fired position. Sometimes (on very rare occasions) it is necessary to "true up" the face of the ring so that a close tolerance can be set.

By the way, it is really a clearance instead of a gap since the cyl does come into contact with the barrel each time the action cycles. A bbl/cyl gap is a set clearance that is maintained and will not close and is done so with a bushing or a "gas ring".

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

The barrel/cylinder clearance is best checked in "fired" position which is hammer down
The reason I was asking that question is to see if there was excessive movement forward and aft of the cylinder when its unlocked in the half cocked position.

Mushroomed nipples will not allow a cap to seat properly and result in a failure to fire. First thing I'd do is change the nipples. Been there - Done that

Back