Removing military crimp from brass

I’ve been using the RCBS pocket swagger for quite some time now. Works just fine, but there are better ones. Dillon for instance and I think RCBS just came out with one like the Dillon.

I received the Lyman Primer Pocket Reamer.... works well. I tried hand twist, works but eventually my hands get fatigued. Will try using with drill.

If you have a case prep machine, just screw the reamer bit into one of the positions, less chance of injury over using a drill.

I've done numerous calibers and used the RCBS, a counter sink, and the Dillon. Growing up my dad gathered up and shot a multitude of milsurp ammo in several calibers. All of the empty brass was stacked carefully and away in coffee cans and ammo cans. After he passed and I started to root through things I found a real need to have a quick way of processing bulk cases. I did small batches of 100 or so just to feed a need to take a couple of pops rifles out once in a while.

I managed to pick up the Dillon used but in new condition with everything needed included and I jumped on it. Since then I have gone through a 5gal plus of 06, almost a same amount of 308, and now working on a big batch of 223. Granted as mentioned the chamfer tool does a wonderful job, it just also seems to give my hands and fingers fits after a short time. The Dillon is quick fast and for me very user friendly.

If you are anticipating picking up more surplus you might keep an eye out for the Dillon, if not get the chamfer tool a cordless drill, or screwdriver and git-r-dun.

Yes, the drawback to using the chamfer tool is that it cramps the hand after a while. Not as good as a power tool, for large amounts of brass.

I get around that by only doing a few cases at a time, then doing something else for a bit, then doing a few more cases, and so on. Eventually they all get done, and since removing the primer crimp is a once and done thing, and since I'm not in any rush reloading things, it works fine for me.

and, I don't have to mess with getting out a drill, (which isn't something normally part of my reloading tool kit, anyway.) Though I suppose a dremel would do just as well, and I have those, I just don't bother.

I've been doing this since 1961 , military 30-06 once fired was cheap , I lived near Fort Polk Louisiana and the training base went through a lot of 30-06 , M-1 and BAR .
Bought 5 gallon buckets full .
The best way is a two step approach :
1.) Swage the crimp to get started ...but there is always some "spring back" to the brass , so you add a step .
2.) Lyman crimp removing tool , cut what remains of the crimp away .

Now to really do it right finish the job with Lyman Primer Pocket Uniformer ... the Uniformer insures that all the pockets are ... well ... Uniform , all the same depth and diameter .
I just finished doing 500 7.62 NATO / 308 Winchester cases !
This method still works well .
P,S. I'm 72 now and I did it all by hand ... not all in one sitting but whenever I was watching the idiot box and in not too long you have exercised your hand strength and done the cases sans power tools .
Gary

I get around that by only doing a few cases at a time

Yep. I'm dealing with tendonitis. It's in remission right now; but don't want a flair up. A few at at time. I'm in no hurry.

Metal god: I'll look into getting a countersink. Good idea.

I'm spoiled by the Dillon swager and the Wilson profile cutter (for large and small jobs, respectively), but has anyone tried a swivel head deburring tool? The standard tip might be a little big, but the MVAST and AFA kits on Amazon have at least one blade size that has a pretty small pretty looking tip.

Back